PDA

View Full Version : OT: Earthquakes

Elefantino
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, the epicenter of this morning's Oakland earthquake was about a mile from where I am, on the top floor of a high-rise condo, my mom's place.

Everything fell. Broken glass and dishes and kotchkes everywhere.

I'm so glad I live in Florida. Hurricanes don't wake you out of a sound sleep and trash your kitchen.

J.Greene
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm so glad I live in Florida. Hurricanes don't wake you out of a sound sleep and trash your kitchen.

yeah sure....

They have only torn the roof off my barn, knocked down some old oak trees and nokced the powerout for 4 days.

JG

Bud
07-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, but then one of the prices you pay for living in a tectonically-boring area is a lack of terrain with relief...

eddief
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
i got up to take a leak and then just as i was getting back into bed it struck. incredible power for about 8 seconds. this went along with hearing the local hobos poaching through our recycling bins out on the curb. probably scared the crap out of them too. a lively morning here by the bay.

Too Tall
07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
How's your bike :rolleyes: Yesh, glad everything is ok.

mikki
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Just another rock n' rolling day in sunny california~~ :cool:

chakatrain
07-20-2007, 03:22 PM
...on the third floor of a woodframe victorian in San Francisco's South of Market.

It sure shook a hell of a lot though, probably as much as it could shake w/o anything actually falling. Scared the crap out of me, waking me up with the jolt.

Keeps things interesting, that's for sure.

Does everyone out in the Bay Area have their earthquake kits ready to go? One never knows.

1centaur
07-20-2007, 05:10 PM
How's your bike :rolleyes:

I was in the shower three miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake when it struck. After that, a lot of screwing movable objects to walls and using putty on small objects occured (over $100k of damage - good insurance), but I was not a cyclist at the time. How do you folks in earthquake country try to protect your bike(s) from the type of quake that would throw it off a stand or swing it from a hook? Pretty easy to trash a nice frame in a moderate quake - I wonder if there are pre-fab clamps just to keep those precious tubes from being thrown around. Or do you just take the chance?

Skrawny
07-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Woke me up.
First I thought the old guy who lives above me had a bad fall, then I woke up more and thought, "oh, earthquake." I waited a few more moments to see if it got worse, hoped for a few moments that it wasn't a "fore-shock," then went back to bed.

Wasn't bad here in this part of SF City (Fillmore), no damages. The worst thing was dealing with media hyperbole all morning.
-s

steelrider
07-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Well, the epicenter of this morning's Oakland earthquake was about a mile from where I am, on the top floor of a high-rise condo, my mom's place.

Everything fell. Broken glass and dishes and kotchkes everywhere.

What do a Hurricane and a Florida divorce have in common? Either way you loose the trailer. I slept like a baby through last night's rumble.

slowgoing
07-21-2007, 02:32 AM
I was in the shower three miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake when it struck.

That must have really been an experience. I was 15 miles away and it felt like the roof was caving in. Windows/mirrors broke, all of the dishes poured out of the cabinets and broke, the food came off our and out of the fridge (the flour/cranberry juice paste created on the floor took a while to clean up), TV and computers topped over and broke, sofa scooted across the room. I tried to get up out of bed and the floor was moving like a wave so much it just threw me back on the bed. No bikes at the time to worry about though.

Elefantino
07-21-2007, 02:22 PM
How's your bike :rolleyes: Yesh, glad everything is ok.
Weird. Noticed that the bike had a flat right after the quake. Hmmmmmmm.

Also, it wasn't until much later that I noticed a lead from under the door of my mom's minibar. Opened it to find a full bottle of Galliano had fallen, smashed and splashed everywhere, particularly on the carpet. About 20 cocktail glasses shattered. What a mess.

Aside: I was in the second-to-the-top row (the auxiliary press box) in the upper deck at Candlestick during the Loma Prieta quake. That was scary. As was the Livermore quake in 1980, which trashed my apartment, and the Acapulco quake in 1962, which left my mom and me stuck in an elevator for about four hours.

On a brighter note, there was no earthquake this morning in Sonoma County, which meant my nice little 40-miler was uneventful. Saw lots of bikes on cars as I was driving up last night; everyone coming up for the Vineman.

If any of you Sonomans see a Bouygues Telecom kit on the road tomorrow, wave. It's me.