PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist killed in Norton, MA Thursday night

Bruce K
07-20-2007, 07:46 AM
The news is reporting that a cyclist was struck and killed by a hit and run driver last night around 10:00PM on Route 123.

It was rainy last night in the area and the reports say the road was sparsely lit.

They have not released a name or age, but a picture of the bike shows it to be an older road bike with platform pedals.

Police were not able to get a good description of the vehicle. It was described as a white van or white pickup truck. Police believe they will be able to find it as it has front end damage and is missing a hub cap.

So sad for the family of the cyclist.

I hope they get the driver and let William use him for target practice.

BK

hansolo758
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
I hope they find the driver too, because I'd just like to know why he or she didn't stop.

Here, a cyclist, a resident doctor that worked in a local hospital, was killed a couple of years ago at 5:30 am while cycling on a state highway with no shoulder in November without lights. The driver, who wasn't speeding, came around a bend, up a hill, and hit this cyclist before she realized what had happened. At least she stopped, and the police subsequently exonerated her.

If anything good came out of this tragedy it was that cycling safety can't be taken for granted and it made those of us who cycle year round here more aware of using lights and reflective clothing and of taking routes that were safer to ride when it was dark. I hope some good can come out of this incident, too. But unless we know the driver's side of the story, that can't happen. He or she ought to have stopped.

jsfoster
07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Over the past 2 weeks or so I have been passed by motorists driving right on the right hand white line, as though to be extra careful, except that the cyclist (me) was also there. In full daylight. There is some sense of perversity to these mode of driving.
-Jon

Alexi
07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
damn thats right next to my home town, I used to bike thru there all the time. It's also a college town so it may be a student.

cw05
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Interestly tragic as I'm a resident physician who was struck in Sept. 2006 and broke 15 bones. I returned to work after a surgery on my arm and a month-long recuperation. Sadly, my accident happened in broad daylight when an on-coming driver turned into my path as I was coming down a hill at about 30 mph.

William
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. If they find the person/persons, depending, I'd be happy to render services.

William

Bart001
07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. If they find the person/persons, depending, I'd be happy to render services.

William
Noting that you reside in RI, I know not to ask for details. :cool: