PDA

View Full Version : adidas is being hypocritical

Climb01742
07-20-2007, 04:48 AM
from today's cyclingnews, adidas is seriously considering dropping t-mobile's sponsorship. give me a break. adidas is neck-deep in soccer and track, two sports that are as drug-ridden or worse than cycling. yet they would never in a million years dump their soccer sponsorships, purely from a financial standpoint. worse yet, t-mobile really does seem to be trying to ride clean, so if adidas_really_cares about the anti-doping fight, why not support t-mobile, rather than bailing? seems like germany is gripped by some bizarre hysteria... i'd love to ask adidas about the hundreds of millions of dollars in soccer sponsorships worldwide they have and exactly how much FIFA is doing to fight drugs?

"Days after it was revealed that German Patrik Sinkewitz had tested positive for testosterone, T-Mobile team sponsor Adidas has indicated that it may move to end its sponsorship of the squad. T-Mobile, despite having a strong antidoping programme in place, suffered under the weight of confessions of former team riders Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag before Sinkewitz became the latest rider to test positive for a banned substance. The negative press is weighing on the long-time team sponsor.

"We are currently seriously toying with the idea of ending our sponsoring activities," said spokesperson Jan Runau to Die Welt. The sponsorship, which is less than one million euro acording to Adidas, may have been renewed but this latest scandal may prove to be too much. "There are stll talks ahead of us, but right now it looks like we will stop," an Adidas representative was quoted.

The possible departure of the sportswear giant from the cycling market follows the German television boycott of the Tour following Sinkewitz' positive test. While SAT1 (cable TV) took over from ARD and ZDF, the pressure on these companies to steer clear of the sport is apparent. "The signs are pointing to exit," said an unidentified Adidas representative.

Adidas has sponsored the team since 1997 and wanted to continue its support with the purported 'new beginning' in pro cycling. "We have been in in direct contact with our longtime partner Telekom [T-Mobile, ed.] even before the suspected doping case of Sinkewitz, to evaluate if it is even realistic to get a fresh start, after what happened recently," said Runau."

flydhest
07-20-2007, 07:38 AM
They're not being hypocritical. There's a clear distinction with soccer--drug use there is much more hidden. See, it's simple, had they kept a sport with exposed drug use and dropped cycling, then it would be hypocrisy. As it is, there's a neat dividing line.

(wow, almost got through that without smirking.)

andy mac
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
how many people here would buy adidas cycling gear? (or nike)

how big is the global football market?

me thinks there the answer may be...

:beer:

itsflantastic
07-20-2007, 08:52 AM
i bought adidas cycling gloves. . .
they are OK.
just. . . OK.

Dan

dbrk
07-20-2007, 09:01 AM
When a company can both posture with moralism (cycling) and keep it's financial interests wholly in tact (soccer) then why not have it both ways? Profit comes in many ways, perceived and material being just two modalities, but they do nothing that is not for profit.

dbrk

non-sequitor p.s. I really like that new old Colnago Masterlight. Be gone ye carbon seat stay! Be gone, I say! Return thee the Precisa fork in chrome! You are next to find your way home! Come back to direct this honest chromed, lugged friend!

Moosedryvr
07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Climb,
I'm with you and thought the same thing when I heard the TdF story on NPR this morning. What, Track & Field guys are cleaner than cyclists? GIVE ME A BREAK!
That being said, if losing sponsors is what it takes to get the team management (and they are the real responsible parties in this mess, in my opinion) to clean up this sport the more power to them. Hopefully they won't kill the sport first.

Shawn G

Ozz
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Climb,
I'm with you and thought the same thing when I heard the TdF story on NPR this morning. What Track & Field guys are cleaner than cyclists? GIVE ME A BREAK!....
I'll take a doping cyclist over a dog-fighting NFL sadist anytime.... :mad:

Fixed
07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
bro pro cyclist ain't no different than any other pro sprts imho
cheers