PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen rumor

flydhest
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone else hear any rumors about Rasmussen? Apparently there was just an interview on Danish TV with an official from the Danish cycling federation and Rasmussen is no longer part of the national team (that is, won't be selected for worlds or olympics).

A good friend is Danish and is spending the summer in Denmark and just e-mailed me.

David Kirk
07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't get it.........why would that be?

Dave

benb
07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
I thought it had already been stated several times on TV, news, etc.. that he was not going to do World's or Olympics on the road, he's going to try and qualify for the Olympic MTB team instead.

flydhest
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
benb,
Could be, however the interview today seemed to be new information. Was it that Rasmussen had stated in the past that he wouldn't go for it on the road or was it the Danish federation that said it. This announcement came from the latter.

BdaGhisallo
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Much ado about nothing. The chances of a rider of Rasmussen's capabilities winning, or even medalling, at a championship race like the Olympics are slim to none, and slim just left. The course would have to be very similar to the '95 Worlds at Duitama in Colombia. He is just not powerful enough to compete with the roulers like Bettini and Valverde and the guys similar to them who would compete on a typical olympic or worlds parcours. It would have to be a very...very strange race for him to factor in the final.

It's a non-story!

benb
07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Very true BDA... and one of the big reasons I find watching Olympic road races and the world championships about as exciting as watching paint dry. They both seem pretty meaningless.

But I guess that's just cause I find "Peloton does laps" followed by a sprint boring.

benb
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Very true BDA... and one of the big reasons I find watching Olympic road races and the world championships about as exciting as watching paint dry.

But I guess that's just cause I find "Peloton does laps" followed by a sprint boring.

I would seriously wonder at Rasmussen's chances in the MTB XC field too though.. who knows how rusty he is technically... and even though these kinds of races don't seem terribly technical he doesn't seem like he's built ideally for any kind of MTB racing unless he has 6 months to drink protein shakes and try to grow some arms again.

BdaGhisallo
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, I don't concur with you on the World Champs. I find the unusual format and the rich current intrigue of who's really riding for whom to be scintillating. The Olympics are a bust, I agree. That's probably because the teams are limited to five riders, so the tactical development of the race is stunted.

I would also think he would have a far greater chance at the MTB race, though I think he, Simoni and Sven Nys are not going to have it easy getting one over on the regular mtb stars. I know Nys won the Belgian MTB title, but Belgium isn't exactly overflowing with MTB talent in depth, I would think. The road scene is too lucrative their to get the best talent racing in the dirt.

ada@prorider.or
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
its good they treat everyone the same

the hide of controls is alarming

it **** he is doing this

stevep
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
there are 8 better danish cyclists for the worlds team?

manet
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
there are 8 better danish cyclists for the worlds team?

7... my new citizenship papers should be here tomorrow.

zeroking17
07-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Anyone else hear any rumors about Rasmussen? Apparently there was just an interview on Danish TV with an official from the Danish cycling federation and Rasmussen is no longer part of the national team (that is, won't be selected for worlds or olympics).

A good friend is Danish and is spending the summer in Denmark and just e-mailed me.

It's true. Today the Danish cycling federation (DCU) "removed" Rasmussen from the national team, reportedly because he more than once failed to report his training locations. As a result, he was "unavailable" for random doping control tests. (Note that pro cyclists are required to inform the doping control agencies of their whereabouts at all times during the year.)

More evidence that every silver cloud has a dark lining.

KJMUNC
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I read somewhere recently that Rasmussen is fond of training at altitude in Mexico (his wife is a Mexican national) and that he has been reprimanded in the past for not disclosing his training locations. Of course he claims it's unnecessary bureacracy, while the officals believe that out of sight out of mind puts him closer to more dubious elements and potentials doping issues.

Seems a little premature to boot him for violating protocol instead of an actual positive test, but there are two sides to every story. I'm sure we'll hear his very soon.

stevep
07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I read somewhere recently that Rasmussen is fond of training at altitude in Mexico (his wife is a Mexican national) and that he has been reprimanded in the past for not disclosing his training locations. Of course he claims it's unnecessary bureacracy, while the officals believe that out of sight out of mind puts him closer to more dubious elements and potentials doping issues.

Seems a little premature to boot him for violating protocol instead of an actual positive test, but there are two sides to every story. I'm sure we'll hear his very soon.

those protocols are required by all the national organisations. ( as far as i know )
refusal would automatically exclude him.
his choice.
i am surprised that he can get a danish license due to this.
i wonder if he has a danish license?

hmmm.

andy mac
07-19-2007, 05:04 PM
TOUR DE FRANCE LEADER DUMPED OVER DRUG TESTING ROW

Tour de France leader Michael Rasmussen has been axed from the Danish national team and told he will not take part in either the world championships or the Olympic Games following a row over drug testing, it was announced today.

The director of the Danish Cycling Union Jesper Worre told DR1 television station that Rasmussen had received a number of warnings over failing to inform doping authorities over his training whereabouts. "We consider this case with great seriousness and the executive of the DCU decided that Michael will no longer be part of the national team and he was informed of this on June 26," said Worre.

Rasmussen, who rides for the Dutch-owned Rabobank team, has said he had received just one warning but Worre insists there have been several notices issued.

Rasmussen currently leads the Tour de France after 11 stages and enjoys a 2min 35sec lead over Spain's Alejandro Valverde.

"It is confidential information but people have the right to know that the DCU fights for a clean sport," said Worre.

"The DCU is not saying that Michael tested positive. But there are question marks over his behaviour and attitude."

Bill Bove
07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
"behavior and attitude"

Toe the line. Do as we say or we'll **** with you.

It is in the rules though and he knows it.

Lifelover
07-19-2007, 08:04 PM
TOUR DE FRANCE LEADER DUMPED OVER DRUG TESTING ROW........

"The DCU is not saying that Michael tested positive. But there are question marks over his behaviour and attitude."

Yuck!

Considering the timing this sounds like a prelude of thinks to come.

97CSI
07-19-2007, 08:34 PM
I would seriously wonder at Rasmussen's chances in the MTB XC field too though.. who knows how rusty he is technically... and even though these kinds of races don't seem terribly technical he doesn't seem like he's built ideally for any kind of MTB racing unless he has 6 months to drink protein shakes and try to grow some arms again.Rasmussen was the world champion MTB rider in '99 and would have won again in '01 if he had not flatted 2km from the end. So he must have some pretty decent MTB skills.

Fixed
07-19-2007, 09:05 PM
bro say bye bye mr. chicken
imho
cheers

andy mac
07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
the podium girls will probably be happy they get someone else to kiss every afternoon...

frenk
07-20-2007, 02:01 AM
If I got it right, the main consequence isn't that he will not take part in the olympic road race --which he already discarded-- but he won't be able to do the mtb race which was his goal.

If recent worlds were boring (read "peloton doing laps and then sprint"), patiently wait for the 2009 worlds in Mendrisio! (anyone remember '96? A race for hard men...)

Climb01742
07-20-2007, 04:04 AM
i wonder if this is part of the "men in black" thing too. chicken has also said he rides in non-team kit for training. funny, there are always two ways to look at everything...non-team kit keeps him from getting bugged by fans...and the doping vampires! :p

stevep
07-20-2007, 06:20 AM
The course would have to be very similar to the '95 Worlds at Duitama in Colombia.
!

the best worlds in the last 30 yrs.
the only bike racing video that i make my riders watch and the only one that i watch every once in awhile.
one of indurains finest moments as a bike racer.
he was clearly strongest and he watched his teammate ride away for the win. beautiful.

stevep
07-20-2007, 06:22 AM
bro say bye bye mr. chicken
imho
cheers

i thk fixed may have hit on it...as usual.

Moosedryvr
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
i thk fixed may have hit on it...as usual.

Isn't that the truth!!! Fixed, it is so nice to have you back!! You were most definitely missed. All the best.

Shawn G

BdaGhisallo
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/articles/12851.0.html

With this accusation out there now, I wonder if ASO will exclude Rasmussen from the race? If they stick to their policy of not allowing any riders under suspicion of, not just investigation for, doping they will.

Let's see how this plays. While I would not like to see another scandal, it would please me to see the authorities apply their stated rules and policies completely impartially, regardless of the difficulties that result.

Hmmmm.