PDA

View Full Version : Campy '08 Teaser

davyt
07-19-2007, 03:59 AM
CAMPAGNOLO: 2008 RANGE NOVELTIES (http://www.campagnolo.com/pressrel.php?nid=113)

stevep
07-19-2007, 06:46 AM
im glad they qualified the new centaur crank as
"more reasonable" as opposed to "reasonable"..
they also coulda used " less unreasonable"

touche' grant. what do you say to that?

Bart001
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I was looking/fantasizing at Rambouillet frames yesterday at Harris, and discussing how it'd look MUCH better built up with non-carbony Campy (Chorus with aluminum levers). Will 2008 Chorus still be available with some aluminum?

J.Greene
07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
My vintage bike buddies are hoping for an all aluminum record group as the rumors have suggested. I'm not thinking it will happen. There is no going back to the 1990's

JG

jemoryl
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I've always been partial to Campy, but with all the unnecessary carbon I'm starting to think some Shimano stuff looks pretty nice....

J.Greene
07-19-2007, 08:58 AM
but with all the unnecessary carbon

which poster are you referring to?

JG

manet
07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
CAMPAGNOLO: 2008 RANGE NOVELTIES (http://www.campagnolo.com/pressrel.php?nid=113)

speaking of 'novelties', it appears boonen is VERY happy to be pictured on that link's front page.

cpg
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I love reading how the front der. has been revamped to improve performance. Has anyone really experienced a front der. that didn't do the job? Not me. Still I'm a fan of this stuff.

Curt

J.Greene
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Has anyone really experienced a front der. that didn't do the job?
Curt
not me either.
They certaintly have gotten better, but the beauty is in how they work. They just jam the chain over. Is there a cruder mechanical part on a bike?

Grant McLean
07-19-2007, 11:12 AM
I love reading how the front der. has been revamped to improve performance. Has anyone really experienced a front der. that didn't do the job? Not me. Still I'm a fan of this stuff.

Curt

I think it's been "re-vamped" to reduce sku's...

Same cage for compact and standard rings, only 32, 35, and b/o available!

g

Elefantino
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I still think Campy made a mistake this year by changing Centaur so that you can't dump the cassette. That's just wrong and forces the inflexibles like me to look at Chorus … or go used.

UT instead of square taper I can understand. It's a performance benefit, or so say those of you who've ridden them. But there is no performance benefit to not being able to dump, as far as I can tell. So if Centaur is made to compete with Ultegra and Rival, ***?

Orin
07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it's been "re-vamped" to reduce sku's...

Same cage for compact and standard rings, only 32, 35, and b/o available!

g

I've used a standard Daytona FD for a compact crankset for years. Works as well and is less fussy in setup than the CT FD IMO. Perhaps Campy noticed that people didn't bother with the CT version... I've also used a 9-speed Racing-T FD with compact cranks. It works fine too.

As for clamp sizes, I'd rather just buy a brazeon and clamp separately. Then I can swap parts back and forth from the Legend to the Rambouillet without worrying about clamp size.

Orin.

Simon Q
07-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I've always been partial to Campy, but with all the unnecessary carbon I'm starting to think some Shimano stuff looks pretty nice....

Do you mean to say you think that Shim actually looks better or just that you prefer Shim b/c you don't like carbon parts? All in the eyes of the beholder but the Campy carbon cranks look pretty hot. As do the carbon brake levers. And the derailleurs. And the brakes...

stevep
07-20-2007, 06:24 AM

Curt

my front derailleur suucks,
every time i shift into the big ring the f'in bike gets hard to pedal.
im waiting for the new shimano "easy pedal front derailleur.."

jemoryl
07-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Do you mean to say you think that Shim actually looks better or just that you prefer Shim b/c you don't like carbon parts? All in the eyes of the beholder but the Campy carbon cranks look pretty hot. As do the carbon brake levers. And the derailleurs. And the brakes...

I don't see why people find the appearance of carbon parts 'hot'. All that shiny metal looks better to me, and too many reports of trouble with various carbon parts makes me leery. I'll never be fast, so switching to the super-duper low friction UT CF cranks isn't going to help...

Grant McLean
07-20-2007, 07:29 AM
I still think Campy made a mistake this year by changing Centaur so that you can't dump the cassette. That's just wrong and forces the inflexibles like me to look at Chorus … or go used.

UT instead of square taper I can understand. It's a performance benefit, or so say those of you who've ridden them. But there is no performance benefit to not being able to dump, as far as I can tell. So if Centaur is made to compete with Ultegra and Rival, ***?

With all the trickle down from the top goups, the guys have to do something
to differentiate between the groups! Besides a few ti bits, there hasn't been
less difference between Chorus and Record since the NR/SR days...

I think the majority of the market buys their products based on the heirarchy
of the model line up, not the actual product. And not just with bikes. Have you
seen how they rate diamonds? Oh please.

g

jsfoster
07-20-2007, 07:52 AM

:)

Campy made a calculated decision that good riders will want to have the 'dump' option and the rest want individual clicks to feel secure or something. I went with Chorus because of that feature, but I could have gone Centaur with the chorus shifters and been equally happy (without the carbon crank). I think that those 'majority' riders probably felt- or were told- that the campy shifts are not precise because of the dump feature and went with Shimano.

Note that using the above option, one can (or could) get the silver crank with Centaur and stuff it with Chorus or Record. All groups have Record BB.

On another bike I have 2006 Chorus Compact with which I am using with a 2000 or so Racing T FD. Works perfectly, but I also am looking forward to the new shimano "easy pedal front derailleur.."

-Jon