PDA

View Full Version : What if.......

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 07:43 AM
What if LeMond hadn't won the 89 tour? Would this forum even be here? Would Lance have ever made it to the tdf? Would postal have existed?!?!?! <burp>

Climb01742
06-24-2004, 07:49 AM
he certainly introduced me to the tour, to professional euro cycling. of course, CBS's tour coverage back then also introduced me to john tesh's music. gee, thanks a lot. what, was yanny busy?

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Hey! I liked John's music that they sed during ESPN's coverage of the Tour DuPont when Breukink won!!
I also like the irish rovers, cranberries,.....

Also, when do you think aero bars would have surfaced in road cycling had LeMond not used them?????

Climb01742
06-24-2004, 07:52 AM
guess i know where you drink...an irish bar, maybe? :rolleyes:

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 07:56 AM
in my trailer.

Kevin
06-24-2004, 07:58 AM
US cycling owes Lemond a great deal.

Kevin

Climb01742
06-24-2004, 08:00 AM
bd--saves on DWI s, at least. :beer:

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 08:00 AM
I think LeMond got shafted, never got the credit (or money, compared to Lance, etc.) he deserved for bringing the sport to America big time.
What does Lance make now with endorsments? 15 mil/year??

shaq-d
06-24-2004, 08:03 AM
i'm pretty sure lemond is pretty well off now. he did a good job with his bikes and leveraging his "star" power.

sd

Climb01742
06-24-2004, 08:13 AM
the difference in endorsement income from 1989 to today has much more to do with nike and michael jordan than it does with greg lemond and lance armstrong. nike and jordan proved the impact an athlete can have as a marketing "tool". the 90s transformed the worth of an athelete off the playing field. compare what lebron james is getting to what magic and bird made coming out of school...or even more striking, what dr. j made. two rules for athletes: choose your parents carefully. and choose your birthdate carefully. nike changed the athletic world.

dirtdigger88
06-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Lemond was the first cyclist to sign a $1 million dollar contract. His name is well marketed, he is doing just fine

Jason

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 08:22 AM
too bad his bikes suck....whats with the longer than trek top tubes?!?!?! :p ;) :confused: :banana: :banana: :butt:
:banana: :banana: :banana:

jerk
06-24-2004, 08:29 AM
they're not really longer drunk. you need to learn about how seat angles effect things. the slacker seat angles make the bikes' horizontal dimensions a little shorter overall than an equivalent trek. don't forget that lemonds are measured center to center while treks are measured center to top. hence you really need to compare the 58 trek to the 55 lemond.

Dr. Doofus
06-24-2004, 08:37 AM
as usual, the jerk is right...he and i and the mouse wanted a lemond years ago, just because, you know, they had greg's name on 'em...but a 59 Lemond doesn't fit the doc at all...although the mouse does ok on the stem....

if Lemond doesn't win in '89, the media picks up on him after he wins in 90

thanks jerk and dave...turns out its only a 5mm difference between the CSi/moser and the corsa...don't drink and measure....

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
So if someone takes a 56cm trek, they need a 53cm lemond?? And is the Lemond in that case a much shorter frame in terms of standover height?
OK, we're getting off topic...
I hate fondriest bikes too!!!! :crap: :bike:

Bill Bove
06-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Climb is right in that Nike (and her $$) changed everything and LeMond saw it coming and got his piece of the pie. U.S. cycling owes LeMond a great deal but the European pro peloton owes him much, much more. LeMond was the first "bonusbaby" of cycling. Before LeMond riders HAD to race year round to make ends meet and when they retired they were lucky if they had enough to open a small bike shop or bar. LeMond changed all that, because of LeMond todays first year pro makes as much as Eddy Merckx did in his prime, if not more.

And Greg LeMond oes a lot to Fred Mengoni. If you don't know who Fred Mengoni is :confused: , do a little research. The man is THE MAN of U.S. cycling. :banana:

Keith A
06-24-2004, 11:17 AM
So if someone takes a 56cm trek, they need a 53cm lemond?? And is the Lemond in that case a much shorter frame in terms of standover height?

Exactly right! For a while, Lemond bikes were selling the Trek OCLV as a Lemond bike (didn’t last long because Trek want the OCLV to be their exclusive frameset). The 53cm Lemond OCLV was exactly the same as a 56cm Trek OCLV. People used to say that the Lemond was actually different geometry, but that was hogwash. I owned both a 53cm Lemond and 56cm Trek and they measured exactly the same!

bostondrunk
06-24-2004, 12:04 PM
I actually think the new Lemond ti/carbon bike looks a lot nicer than the ottrott, but thats just personal preference, I guess.

dirtdigger88
06-24-2004, 03:29 PM
The new ti carbon Lemonds have gone away from the slack seat angle.

Jason

vaxn8r
06-24-2004, 08:16 PM
I also think the Lemond ti/Carbon makes a lot of sense in terms of which tubes they made carbon and which they made ti.

June's Cycle Sport has a nice article on Eddy Planckaert...worth a read for sure. Anyway, Eddy, who had a good measure of success as a pro had nothing but good things to say about Lemond. They rode together on ADR in 1989. He said :"I remember in the Tour TTT, Greg was going so hard that I could not take my turn. And I was one of the best in the TTT with Panasonic, who were the best team. I could always take my turn, but I had to let Greg ride for 2 km before I could go through."

Sandy
06-24-2004, 08:29 PM
What if Serotta Sandy won the first Tour De France?? There would be no more Tours. There would be no more bicycles. You all would probably be participating in wheelbarrow races, Some would be carbon, some titatanium, some steel,....... :) :)

Wheeling my wheelbarrow,

Big Wheel Sandy

Kevin
06-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Sandy,

I seriously doubt that a rider with training wheels could win the Tour. :bike:

Kevin