PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Ul Fork Recall--bummer

mikki
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Just to let everyone know that the Reynolds UL fork has just been recalled. It is a bummer for me, as my affected fork is being next day air shipped from the painter (just a couple of stripes) as we speak. Ugh.

Since Reynolds says on it's website that it is "voluntary recall" and that no injuries have been reported whatsoever and that apparently it happens under "extreme conditions" do you think I will be okay to ride for just the time it will take to get the replacement and to have the stripe painted on it? Probably talking about two week time or so. :confused:

djg
07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I think that any risk assessment we do over the Internet will be nothing more than an off-the-cuff guess. For myself, given what might happen if a fork fails, if the manufacturer publicized a defect and offered a free replacement, I would not ride the recalled fork.

CNY rider
07-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Agree with djg.

Not worth building it all up, then worryng every time you ride for the next few weeks about what is going to happen.

Just chill for a couple of weeks.

theprep
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Who wants to bet that the weight of the fork will go from 315 to over 360 grams post recall?

I had a Catlike helmet that weighed 240 grams and was recalled. The replacement weighed 308 g.

Manufacturers push the envelope with weight too much IMHO. Light stuff sells.

mikki
07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I just got off the phone with Reynolds. Seems like the weight had nothing to do with it. It was a clearning solution that didn't do the job at manufacturing...nothing mechanical at all. They found the problem themselves and notified everyone. Now they are apparently bound by some legal process to not let anyone ride on the ones that the sample found affected. So my answer.
They are willing to send out the Ouso Pro to me, with an additional weight over what I am expecting, so am not sure if I want to experience my first rides not being what I expect; I'll have to think that one over...

They will pay for the repaint and want to reassure me that it is not mechanical in nature...no weight gain consequence is going to happen and in fact, they have unaffected UL's...just the one with the logo stripe are affected. Phooey...that would be mine! Ah well....my anticipation may just take a couple of weeks longer to relieve.

SadieKate
07-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Mikki, would you please provide a link to the recall info? Thanks.

mikki
07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/recall/index.htm?PHPSESSID=363e5b825935989a36d048e0ee280e 0a

SadieKate: Do you have a UL?

SadieKate
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Ha, you can't find it through the menu or under "news." You have to actually land on the home page which is only done by clicking the Reynolds logo. Not google friendly at all.

Thanks.

Ti Designs
07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
They are willing to send out the Ouso Pro to me, with an additional weight over what I am expecting, so am not sure if I want to experience my first rides not being what I expect; I'll have to think that one over...

You haven't been on a bike with the UL on it, so how would you explain "not being what I expect"?

SadieKate
07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
SadieKate: Do you have a UL?It's spec'd on my Spectrum-to-be.

Richard
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Mikki,

I'm a little confused -- will they replace the UL with the Pro or will the Pro be a "loaner" while a new UL gets repainted. Having ridden both, I find the UL to be superior, at least until my forktips fall off at speed. I have to check the serial number on mine as it is a repaint.

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I just got off the phone with Reynolds. Seems like the weight had nothing to do with it. It was a clearning solution that didn't do the job at manufacturing...nothing mechanical at all. They found the problem themselves and notified everyone. Now they are apparently bound by some legal process to not let anyone ride on the ones that the sample found affected. So my answer.
They will pay for the repaint and want to reassure me that it is not mechanical in nature...no weight gain consequence is going to happen and in fact, they have unaffected UL's...just the one with the logo stripe are affected. Phooey...that would be mine! Ah well....my anticipation may just take a couple of weeks longer to relieve.

Get over it!

The weight of an Ouzo Pro is: 380 grams
The weight of an Ouzo Pro UL is: 315 grams

To my calculations thats 65 grams...Do you know what that is equal to: 2.2 ounces..

Here, I have an idea...if you take two water bottles on a ride, just fill one of them full and the other one 3/4's...Thats probably a bit more than 2.2 ounces...

You will NEVER know the difference (except in your pocket book) as 2.2 ounces cost $150.00 more...

Oh, by the way, I am sure the paint job weighs more than 2.2 ounces...

Just sayin'

Steve

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Mikki,

I'm a little confused -- will they replace the UL with the Pro or will the Pro be a "loaner" while a new UL gets repainted. Having ridden both, I find the UL to be superior, at least until my forktips fall off at speed. I have to check the serial number on mine as it is a repaint.

Just curious as to how you can feel 2.2 ounces makes a fork superior...

Just askin'

Steve

Richard
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
SoCal -- weight aside, the UL is the best carbon fork I have ridden. It is an improvement on the Pro.

SadieKate
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Perhaps it would help if you could explain why -- and have you used the same fork with same rake, etc., on the same frame.

Otherwise, SoCalSteve might actually really tell us what he thinks. :rolleyes:

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Perhaps it would help if you could explain why -- and have you used the same fork with same rake, etc., on the same frame.

Otherwise, SoCalSteve might actually really tell us what he thinks. :rolleyes:

I'd never do that...

Steve

PS: I cannot imagine that the "UL" version of the Reynolds fork can ride any nicer than the regular version...I bet in a blind ride test (please do not try this at home) that you would not be able to tell the difference...just sayin'

Richard
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Not to start a pis*ing contest, but at high speed (45 plus) through turns, transitions, bumps, etc. it is more stable. Does it ride better? What is that? It handles better.

Ti Designs
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
SoCal -- weight aside, the UL is the best carbon fork I have ridden. It is an improvement on the Pro.

At some level I lose track of what's better than what, in bicycles that probably happened when I upgraded from my Schwinn Varsity.

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
At some level I lose track of what's better than what, in bicycles that probably happened when I upgraded from my Schwinn Varsity.

I got sooo much pleasure as a kid on my blue Schwinn Varsity, I cannot imagine another bike out there that can improve on that...even if it were 3 ounces lighter...

Ti Designs
07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I got sooo much pleasure as a kid on my blue Schwinn Varsity, I cannot imagine another bike out there that can improve on that...even if it were 3 ounces lighter...

The Schwinn Varsity weighed about a ton, so you don't think a bike that tipped the [truck] scale at just 1999 pounds, 13 ounces would be that much better?

There are a lot of riders out there who make all sorts of claims about how bikes climb, how components work or how forks handle. I'll admit that I like my Ouzo Pro a lot more than my Wound-Up fork, but with either fork I still feel the limitations were in the rider. That goes double for climbing.

regularguy412
07-18-2007, 01:39 PM
PS: I cannot imagine that the "UL" version of the Reynolds fork can ride any nicer than the regular version...I bet in a blind ride test (please do not try this at home) that you would not be able to tell the difference...just sayin'

Hint: Only ride rollers with yer eyes closed, _NEVER_ on the road ; :beer:

Mike in AR

Big Dan
07-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Come on Steve, if it's more expensive, it has to be better........

:eek:

justinf
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
In my experience a carbon fork's performance is best measured at +40 mph; that's where small differences are magnified. I think what Richard has to say is credible from that standpoint.

BdaGhisallo
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Well at least the replacement forks will not have that god awful grey stripe across the fork legs!!! I spoke to Jeremy at Reynolds and he indicated that since they hadn't gotten great feedback on that stripe, added to the fact that they needed an instant way to differentiate between the old bad forks and the newer good forks, the stripe went bye-bye. Thank the lord.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get my replacement.

Orin
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM

To my calculations thats 65 grams...Do you know what that is equal to: 2.2 ounces..

Here, I have an idea...if you take two water bottles on a ride, just fill one of them full and the other one 3/4's...Thats probably a bit more than 2.2 ounces...

Steve

According to this argument, we should all take no water and save a couple of pounds, not to mention the aerodynamic improvements gained by not having water bottle cages on the bike.

The amount of water you carry has NOTHING to do with the weight of any other part of the bike.

Orin.

rwsaunders
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
It also works out to about $3.00 worth of dimes.

mikki
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
You haven't been on a bike with the UL on it, so how would you explain "not being what I expect"?

I see your point. If I get on the bike and it is sluggish because of the weight I was thinking. Mr. Holland is my height and not too much more weight than I am...I test drove his bike that had the UL on it. So actually I have had a few hours of experience.

mikki
07-18-2007, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Richard]Mikki,

I'm a little confused -- will they replace the UL with the Pro or will the Pro be a "loaner" while a new UL gets repainted. "

Loaner, while the new UL gets painted.

mikki
07-18-2007, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=mikki]I just got off the phone with Reynolds. Seems like the weight had nothing to do with it. It was a clearning solution that didn't do the job at manufacturing...nothing mechanical at all. They found the problem themselves and notified everyone. Now they are apparently bound by some legal process to not let anyone ride on the ones that the sample found affected. So my answer.
Get over it!

You will NEVER know the difference (except in your pocket book) as 2.2 ounces cost $150.00 more...

Oh, by the way, I am sure the paint job weighs more than 2.2 ounces...

Just sayin'

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the kind education. If I knew everything I wouldn't need to write on this forum. It seems that I probably won't notice the extra weight of the Pro based on what you've said.

The paint is only a stripe and a tiny Reynolds banner...surely not 70 grams!! But appreciate the info..And, for the record, I believed the builder and some friends who liked the handling and stability at high speeds better with the UL. That is why I choose it. This post was not meant to speak to the virtues of UL vs. Pro forks nor instigate an argument about weight. CHEEZ

Just wanted those who have them to also be informed.

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
According to this argument, we should all take no water and save a couple of pounds, not to mention the aerodynamic improvements gained by not having water bottle cages on the bike.

The amount of water you carry has NOTHING to do with the weight of any other part of the bike.

Orin.

Orin,

The arguement being made was whether the original poster should "settle" for a Ouzo Pro while they replaced her UL fork...

My point was not about weight per se, but to make a point that the differences would NOT be noticed from one fork to the other in regards to weight...

I am a big believer in carrying 2 water bottles and it just so happens that my favorite bike happens to weigh the most of all my bikes (at the moment I have 9 road bikes)....and, it has an Ouzo Pro, not a UL...

And speaking of "UL", to me that stands for "Ultra Light" not ultra handling or ultra going fast down descents at 40+ mph....

Had it been called a "UH" for Ultra Handler, I would not have made any arguement at all...

Weight Weenie Police, please come after me...I am guilty!!!

Steve

Keith A
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I got sooo much pleasure as a kid on my blue Schwinn Varsity, I cannot imagine another bike out there that can improve on that...even if it were 3 ounces lighter...Mine was orange and this bike opened up the whole world to me :)

SPOKE
07-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Just to let everyone know that the Reynolds UL fork has just been recalled. It is a bummer for me, as my affected fork is being next day air shipped from the painter (just a couple of stripes) as we speak. Ugh.

Since Reynolds says on it's website that it is "voluntary recall" and that no injuries have been reported whatsoever and that apparently it happens under "extreme conditions" do you think I will be okay to ride for just the time it will take to get the replacement and to have the stripe painted on it? Probably talking about two week time or so. :confused:

thanks for the "heads-up" on the fork recall. just so happens that i have one on my recently received custom Lynskey. what really sucks is the fork is custom painted with multiple colors and patterns.
i juat sent an e-mail to the contact at reynolds to find out how to get a new fork and get reimbursed for the custom paint job.
this should be very interesting............

JohnS
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Mine was orange and this bike opened up the whole world to me :)
I had a brown Continental. I needed the cooler centerpull brakes... :banana:

davep
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I had a brown Continental. I needed the cooler centerpull brakes... :banana:
I had a green Varsity, but wanted a Continental, mostly because of the brakes.

Keith A
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
The Continental was my dream bike back then too! I had a well worn copy of one of the catalogs that I would droll over :D

djg
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
The Continental was my dream bike back then too! I had a well worn copy of one of the catalogs that I would droll over :D

Mine too -- I desperately wanted one like the green job my friend had, but my dad didn't listen...

after consulting with a friend he took me to some old store in Rochester, NY, where I got a Gitane Junior Racer for my first 10 speed -- man I loved that bike.