PDA

View Full Version : Would you.....

rinconryder
07-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Fly in a plane that was made by 16 car engineers? Probably not...I mean who really gives a sh#* that Saab is made by 16 jet engineers?????? It's a car, not a jet. Furthermore, I imagine these 16 engineers were probably part of some sort of layoff or were canned - I am no engineer, but I would imagine that in the hierarchy of engineering, desigining cars is somewhere below desigining a jet.

On another note, I am really enjoying the high life commercials.

mdeeds71
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Fly in a plane that was made by 16 car engineers? Probably not...I mean who really gives a sh#* that Saab is made by 16 jet engineers?????? It's a car, not a jet. Furthermore, I imagine these 16 engineers were probably part of some sort of layoff or were canned - I am no engineer, but I would imagine that in the hierarchy of engineering, desigining cars is somewhere below desigining a jet.

On another note, I am really enjoying the high life commercials.

Yeah I agree...Now if it came w/ a few missiles and radar for those road rage moments well...I may consider it. :D

darylb
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, well those push up things were invented by a Navy Seal! I GOTTA GET SOME OF THOSE!! :banana:

benb
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Saab was an aircraft company first and foremost, and still is.

Saab cars are not really Saab anymore.. Saab is the aircraft company, the cars are General Motors.

ISTR hearing a rumor GM was selling the car stuff back to Saab though.

I freakin hate their Tour de France commercials!

Last Sunday I did a century and I waited the whole day to see a Saab. Finally some jerk buzzed us and honked at us and I got to try and lighten the mood by asking everyone if they knew Saab was founded by 16 aircraft engineers.

Ahneida Ride
07-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Saab was an aircraft company first and foremost, and still is.

Saab cars are not really Saab anymore.. Saab is the aircraft company, the cars are General Motors.

Saab Auto and Saab jets are two distinct companies.

The advertising is deceptive and duplicitous. So what else is new?

LegendRider
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I still can't get some of the awful commercials from years past out of my head - particularly the Lincoln Navigator ads and Marla Streb for some stupid energy bar...

Bruce K
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
The most horrifying was the Bob Roll riding on a trainer naked ad.

OMG !! :eek: :no: :help: :butt: :crap:

BK

rinconryder
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
All right...just trying to post a little humor to start the day - didn't mean to start a debate about the origins of Saab...funny how that seems to happen :rolleyes:

I like the roll commercial where he comes into the bike store (I think) and starts scratching himself everywhere.

On another note, I may be selling some bikes here in the future. For some reason I feel overly compelled to adopt a kid and donate more money.

RPS
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I am no engineer, but I would imagine that in the hierarchy of engineering, desigining cars is somewhere below desigining a jet.
Better engineers than say -- farmers?

The first Saab I ever saw made quite an impression. It was extremely aero for the time, very light, FWD, and had a 3-cylinder two-stroke engine. :confused: Those guys were definetely thinking outside the box.

Ozz
07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, well those push up things were invented by a Navy Seal! I GOTTA GET SOME OF THOSE!! :banana:
I didn't know Victorias Secret had any Navy Seals working for them....learn something new everyday! ;) :beer:

PoppaWheelie
07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
....happy, like me, to not have to watch the Lombardi Sports guy shaving his eyebrows off? The ability to skip that ad - shown about 100 times per day during the Tour - made getting A TiVo worthwhile last year.

a100mark
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
on another note, I am really enjoying the high life commercials.

+1 on the High Life commericals. My non-cycling friends think I'm a freak when I say, "$11 dollars for a hamburger, you must be crazy"

Now can we have a serious discussion about Frankie Andreu's eyebrows? For real man, you are on national television....one eyebrow is ok, but two is better! :banana:

saab2000
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I have flown exotic SAABs for a living.

The car commercials are annoying.

Ti Designs
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Two things:

First, those commercials are self inflicted. You watch the tour you get the ads, good, bad or Saab. Another good reason for getting the DVD and watching it when it's cold and snowing outside - trust me, it's the same race.

Second, Jet aircraft design and car design are two different animals. You apply aircraft design parameters (or Mil specs) to car design and you'll wind up with a $250,000 Honda Civic. I think they've got the wrong people for the job!

Car ads are one reason I can't watch TV. The past two presidential elections aside, how stupid is the american public? Does the fact that a car has ABS and airbags still sell cars??? Why not advertise that it's got 4 wheels? I like the little badges on the trun lid that tell you that they have fuel injection - really? Is that how the fuel gets in there?? I want to get a few of those silver badges to let people know what my car has. Let's see, it's got rust, a buzzy right side speaker (BRSS in automotive lingo), a coin box full of pennies and nickles...

itsflantastic
07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
on my computer in dutch.

Seriously though, I owned a Saab. An '04 93. It was built nearly as strong as the imaginary forts that I used to construct out of pillows and card board as a kid. Fun to drive, but seriously low quality build. I would not fly in a plane designed by the guys responsible for my car.

david
07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
i'm glad to see the michelob ultra commercials again.
they truly reflect my lifestyle.
i always go for a ride in my sleeveless t, then get together with my best friends on the end of a dock for an evening full of witty banter and sexual tension.

Bruce K
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I miss Louie the Lizard !!

BK

LegendRider
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
i always go for a ride in my sleeveless t, then get together with my best friends on the end of a dock for an evening full of witty banter and sexual tension.

Me too! Plus, the more beer I drink, the better my abs look.

pjm
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Two things:

First, those commercials are self inflicted. You watch the tour you get the ads, good, bad or Saab. Another good reason for getting the DVD and watching it when it's cold and snowing outside - trust me, it's the same race.

Second, Jet aircraft design and car design are two different animals. You apply aircraft design parameters (or Mil specs) to car design and you'll wind up with a $250,000 Honda Civic. I think they've got the wrong people for the job!

Car ads are one reason I can't watch TV. The past two presidential elections aside, how stupid is the american public? Does the fact that a car has ABS and airbags still sell cars??? Why not advertise that it's got 4 wheels? I like the little badges on the trun lid that tell you that they have fuel injection - really? Is that how the fuel gets in there?? I want to get a few of those silver badges to let people know what my car has. Let's see, it's got rust, a buzzy right side speaker (BRSS in automotive lingo), a coin box full of pennies and nickles...

http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=060725_hondajet_A_02.jpg&cap=HondaJet+features+several+innovations+said+to+ improve+fuel+efficiency+and+give+it+a+larger+cabin +and+luggage+space+and+higher+cruise+speed+than+ot her+aircraft+in+its+class.+Note+the+patented+over-the-wing+engine-mount+configuration%2C+a+natural-laminar+flow+%28NLF%29+wing+and+fuselage+nose%2C+a nd+an+advanced+all-composite+fuselage+structure.+Credit%3A+Honda&title=Honda+to+Sell+Sleek+Microjet+in+U.S.&title=Honda%20to%20Sell%20Sleek%20Microjet%20in%20 U.S.

SoCalSteve
07-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Two things:

Can anyone say: TIVO

I've watched the entire Tour so far and have not had to endure one commercial...(actually, the commercial with Carlos Mencia in it is pretty funny)...Cant remember what its for now.

DVR's come with most cable boxes and satellite recievers these days...DVD's are so 90's.

Just sayin'

Steve

72gmc
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Every morning the Scotch tape ad reminds me how much fun it is to mask ridiculously quickly, remove masking with abandon--then curse like a sailor when the tape peels up my fresh paint.

Good: the Paolo Bettini ad. Awful: the run-flat tire ad. Don't bother with basic vehicle maintenance, just keep driving as oblivious as you always are.

Dekonick
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Would you fly a plane designed by bicycle mechanics?

Ohh...thats Wright! :beer:

rinconryder
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Would you fly a plane designed by bicycle mechanics?

Ohh...thats Wright! :beer:

Hell no - that thing didn't make it but a couple of hundred yards :eek:

Kevan
07-18-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm struggling back here at the back of the pack. 11pm is too late for the likes of me. I stretch out on the floor and watch about 3 hours of the stage (if I'm not sneaking peaks of Godfather part III) and my eyes typically begin to roll with only 10kms left in the race. I missed two stage finishes already. I typically slap myself pretty, take a pull on my waterbottle and fight my way to the finish. Ultimately, the last 3 kms waken me fully and I can't sleep until after midnight. The alarm chimes before 6am.

I might have to drop out of the tour tonight. I can't take it...I tell you!

Where's the support?!

rwsaunders
07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I owned a 3-cylinder, 2-cycle Saab in high school that ran like a charm. I wished I'd known then that aerospace engineers had designed it and not a spinoff group from Lawn Boy.

justinf
07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
GM still sucks unless you need a truck.

david
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I owned a 3-cylinder, 2-cycle Saab in high school that ran like a charm. I wished I'd known then that aerospace engineers had designed it and not a spinoff group from Lawn Boy.

i owned a 3-cylinder, 2-cycle kawasaki in high school that ran like a chainsaw and left trails of thick blue smoke in my wake. good times.

rinconryder
07-18-2007, 07:04 PM
GM still sucks unless you need a truck.

Here is a guy who has a stciker of Calvin pissing on a chevy logo...

We need those stickers for bike brands. :banana:

JohnS
07-18-2007, 07:14 PM
i owned a 3-cylinder, 2-cycle kawasaki in high school that ran like a chainsaw and left trails of thick blue smoke in my wake. good times.400, 500, or 750?

justinf
07-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Here is a guy who has a stciker of Calvin pissing on a chevy logo...

:beer:

Actually, despite my NC roots, I don't think that ties in with my typically euro tastes. I grew up liking soccer and cycling, what the hell do I know. All NASCAR does for me is cause traffic jams.

david
07-18-2007, 10:22 PM
just like this...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.japsirauta.fi/DSC03844.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.japsirauta.fi/h150072.html&h=960&w=1280&sz=325&hl=en&start=57&sig2=qB9auWbzL-Ei9Gjk-JS_HQ&um=1&tbnid=nKLddJGV8J8j3M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&ei=MNieRvf1EZTwiwGYg4zrCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkawasaki%2Bh1%2B500%26start%3D42%26nd sp%3D21%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

except mine was a half year earlier and had a drum brake up front.
much more interesting. ;)

Elefantino
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I want to know

a) how do they get the Saab to drive as fast as the jets fly, or

b) how do they get the jets to fly as slowly as the Saab drives?

JohnS
07-19-2007, 06:39 AM
just like this...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.japsirauta.fi/DSC03844.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.japsirauta.fi/h150072.html&h=960&w=1280&sz=325&hl=en&start=57&sig2=qB9auWbzL-Ei9Gjk-JS_HQ&um=1&tbnid=nKLddJGV8J8j3M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&ei=MNieRvf1EZTwiwGYg4zrCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkawasaki%2Bh1%2B500%26start%3D42%26nd sp%3D21%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

except mine was a half year earlier and had a drum brake up front.
much more interesting. ;)With their separate cylinder heads, they had about the widest engine I've ever seen. Did you have any trouble keeping the front end on the ground? :D

soulspinner
07-19-2007, 07:24 AM

See ya at the end of the dock. Ill be the one trying to emulate Otis Redding... :p