PDA

View Full Version : Tubular on road equipment

mdeeds71
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I find when I am riding my tubs...I carry one spare tube w/out any glue in order to get back home incase of a puncture.

What do the other tubbies out there carry for on road issues? I am trying to learn...I carry my spare in my center pocket with the usual bag under the seat for small wrenches and air cartidges.

Mark

Evenutually I may go all tubes and one set of clinchers as a backup for really bad days.

sspielman
07-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I carry an old tubular (with residual glue on the basetape) strapped under my saddle with a toestrap. I carry a very small mini pump in my jersey pocket (The Silca Baby....highly recommended). The advantage of an old used tubular lies in both the residual glue AND the fact that it is well stretched to go on easy at roadside. It takes about 3-4 minutes for a complete change, including inflation.

Too Tall
07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
SWEEEETness :) Glad to hear it pal.

You need to prepare the base tape of your spare tubular tyre so that there is some glue on it if (knockkncokknock) you need to use it. You'll find that the spare sticks really well if you keep the glue freshened up every few months.

My fav. way to carry a spare is to fold it up and use a leather toe strap to hold the thaing between saddle rails. The method for folding is kinda tricky first time. If you search the forum I think there was a good 'splaination. If you come up short, ask and I'll snap a few pictures.

saab2000
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I carry it under the seat with a toe strap. Learn to fold it right - it's much more compact.

I also use a mini-pump sometimes. They are not great for getting 100+ PSI, but you can fairly easily get 85+ which works on a tubular. Of course, the Zefal HPX pump is the best ever.....

No getting around it. Carrying a spare tubular is the name of the game if you're gonna ride them. I think it's worth it.

The rare times I have had flat tubulars I actually found that the biggest hassle is removing the old, glued-on tubular. PITA.

mdeeds71
07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
How about this line of thought. Could one carry a strip of Tufo regular tape and do a quick tape up of the old one and then rip off once a permanent change is to be made. Also what about the tire gooo that is out there. I know it will only work on small punctures.

So I am now on riding my Reynolds Stratus tubs regularly instead of race only. Just don't like the rubber on them Tufo HICC. Stick really well but ride just a tad below my Veloflex clinchers. I have two Veloflex crits to go on but just don't want to scrape off the old tape so I am waitin in vain for a puncture. This will leave the two HICCs for spares.

Now I am wanting to get rid off my hand built tied/soldered open pros for a set off hand builts tubs or manufactures for climbing (hilly rides).

So the wheel inventory is as follows:

Reynolds Stratus DV tubs
Reynolds Alta clinchers
Open Pro/Centaur tied/soldered clinchers.

Thinking about:
Keeping Strauts DVs...very fast on flats
Low profile climbing tubs set
Hand built training tub set.

Too Tall
07-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Nah, if you currently use TUFO tape than yes what you said is fine makes sense however for folks who use glue (yeah rah) than a pre-glued tubular spare is way faster and not a problem....it will hold on just fine.

mdeeds71
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Nah, if you currently use TUFO tape than yes what you said is fine makes sense however for folks who use glue (yeah rah) than a pre-glued tubular spare is way faster and not a problem....it will hold on just fine.

Right now my tubs have Tufo extreme tape...so should be ok with it right now. Just need to have a reason to change a tire.

sspielman
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
..Example....I had a flat on monday night. It was about 93 degrees and HUMID... I finished my ride (90 more minutes) and when I got home went to remove the tire to re fold it as a spare. The I had to re-peel the tire with both thumbs to get it started...I don't think that I would want to descend the Galibier at max speed on it, but it was a rather confidence-inspiring bond for finishing a ride...
Another point about a mounted spare...It is pretty tough to roll a tire. No matter how hard you corner, the tire is still being forced DOWN ONTO the rim...Theoretically, you could corner hard with NO GLUE AT ALL...The trick comes if you encounter a stone, rough surface, or other irregularity that would cause the wheel to hop-even a small amount- and give some side loading...then you are up the proverbial creek without means of propulsion....SO Alot of people are scared to corner with a re-mounted tubular, but what you really need to pay close attention to is the SURFACE in a corner.....

jbrainin
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I usually ride with a can of Vittoria PitStop (my first and--usually--quickest fix for a flat), one spare tire (lightly glued), and a Topeak Mini-morph pump. Used properly, the PitStop works very nicely for small punctures.

When the damage is too great to use PitStop, I'm still set up with a spare tire and pump. (I don't even want to think about what happens if both tires flat from damage that PitStop can repair.)

Z3c
07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
+1 on the Vittoria PitStop..

SWorks4me
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
+1 on the Vittoria PitStop..

dang! i have been using that stuff all wrong! I thought it was a new cyclist deodorant.

use an old previously glued tubular for your back up. you will be surprised how well those things old.

Ozz
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I carry mine under my seat....I don't have a toe-strap, but use an 10" velcro cinch strap (previously used to secure gear to my backpack). It's very secure and I can really cinch it up tight.

CO2 and extra glue go in the jersey pockets.

I would like to see the "instructions" for propertly folding a tubular spare though....I just kinda improvised. Also, is it better to wrap the spare in something or just leave it exposed??

Newbies want to know..... :p

superunleaded
07-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I would like to see the "instructions" for propertly folding a tubular spare though....

Newbies want to know..... :p

+1
please...

-gas

MilanoTom
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I haven't bought any PitStop to carry yet, but have put Stan's NoTubes sealant in all my Continental tubulars. I flatted a Tufo a while back, and this stuff sealed what Tufo's own sealant wouldn't. I realize that Tufos have different construction than a regular tubular, but Stan's was recommended by a trusted mechanic. Since Stan's has liquid latex, I'm a little wary of using it in a Veloflex tubular. I'd think it would almost act like a solvent on a Veloflex's latex innertube (but I will stand corrected, if need be).

Oh, and I carry a lightly glued spare, too.

terrytnt
07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm going to tempt fate a little by saying the following (hear that knocking), I've never (in 20 years) used clinchers. And for most of those years carried a spare tubular folded under the saddle.... but I rarely if ever got flats (for all the reason we've discussed on this forum before). Lately (last 3 years), I've only carried the Vittoria's PitStop (and of course a cell) in the event the worst happens. And only once had a flat... close to home base. YES, I'm accepted a certain level of risk, but I like cycling naked! My hang-up...

Too Tall
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Ok ok ;) If I have time this eve. I'll see if I can get some help taking a few pics.

itsflantastic
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I have my first set of tubulars on their way (well, soon at least) and I know nothing bout it yet. Gotta figure things out and this will surely help!

Mud
07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I use one of those awful tubular bags. I have a Carb One pump next to the rear bottle cage which works fine but all I use it for is to get the tire centered on the rim. I use a pre-glued tire, but a cheap one which is easy to stretch on.

I also carry CO2 and a can of Pit Stop which I have found to be useless but paid for it. I also carry an old Ritchey Multi Tool which has a screwdriver tip that I can use to cut the glue away since I use enough glue to make the tires hard to get off. I would rather struggle for 10 minutes than hear the squish or crackle from a poorly glued tire.

I also have a CC and cash.

Lastly I carry a Brooks saddle cover to protect my Swift if it rains. I have had only one flat where I have been on the road. The others happened under weird circumstances and were not a problem.

I gave up carrying the tire under the seat because there was too much stiff to put in the shirt. I felt like Quasimoto. Now I carry munchies, a phone, a house key/car key and tissues.

So I am not a minimalist, but I am prepared. :)

djg
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with a tire under the saddle -- you can use the toe clip strap method or just a strip of velcro webbing; but there's nothing wrong with a bag either -- I have one that's reasonably compact, keeps road shmutz off the tire, and has room for a patch kit and mini tool.

fierte_poser
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
So... question from a clincher guy... just how hard is it to remove a properly glued tubular from a rim on the roadside?

Mud
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Just a technique. Fortunately with tubulars you don't get as much practice as you do with clinchers. :banana:

Too Tall
07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I feel like one of these Sunday news paper advice columnist...Dear "Clincher Guy" it's OK you won't be disappointed. Kidding aside, there are diff. strokes for diff. folks regards how tight they glue tyres. Myself??? For commuting I don't go nuts just the min. to ride safely and that's plenty. There are some good tricks for getting a tubular off pretty quick....but it ain't a race right? Oh...race wheels...you'd best have a cold beer nearby...I glue them VERY tight and if they need removal I take my time so as not to damage anything...it can take a whole 5 mins. No 'chit.

OK, here are a bunch of pics. of how to roll a tubular. You'll find that Sspielman has his way, T.Kellog has his way yada yada. It's all good. I guess the main idea is to roll the glued base against the tread so that the base never contacts itself...which would be a real bear to separate.

If any of the pics don't make sense just ask...below 1-10.
================================================== ====

72gmc
07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
excellent tutorial, TT. That sideways shot at the end is preventing a proper evaluation of your garage, however.

I have been tempted by the tubular idea since I began riding my new old-school bike. You people are like little devils on my shoulders.

mdeeds71
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Ive been doin it all wrong...sweet! Now I know.

07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I feel like one of these Sunday news paper advice columnist...

OK, here are a bunch of pics. of how to roll a tubular.

No, no, no, no, no, Tall. What are we going to do with you? It's a BINDA strap. Only a Binda Extra will do. Really, a Christophe????

thwart
07-18-2007, 09:59 PM
S**t, looks like my garage... on a good day.

Man, we all owe Too Tall a huge debt of gratitude for going through all that hassle for a lot of people he's never met. Thank you, sir. :beer:

tbushnel
07-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Man, we all owe Too Tall a huge debt of gratitude for going through all that hassle for a lot of people he's never met. Thank you, sir. :beer:

I managed to figure out the technique from the written description posted previously here on the Forum, but its good to have confirmation from someone who really knows. A picture is worth a thousand words.

ted.

Too Tall
07-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Shucks :cool:
11dotFour, yeah I know I know...my last remaining Binda strap is in retirement. It graces the gearshift knob of our Volvo...of all things :rolleyes:

fierte_poser
07-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Alright... just a stupid post by a stupid clincher guy...

Too Tall, I like the way you roll! :beer:

superunleaded
07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks TT, now I have to figure out how to separate the tires that got stuck together when I rolled it.

-gas

zank
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Kidding aside, there are diff. strokes for diff. folks regards how tight they glue tyres. Myself??? For commuting I don't go nuts just the min. to ride safely and that's plenty. There are some good tricks for getting a tubular off pretty quick....but it ain't a race right? Oh...race wheels...you'd best have a cold beer nearby...I glue them VERY tight and if they need removal I take my time so as not to damage anything...it can take a whole 5 mins. No 'chit.

Different animal, but for cross tubulars, you want them super tight. I use Mastik One glue and Mastik tub tape (very different from Tufo tape). I extracted a pair last night to get the wheels ready for my new FMBs. That combo is bomb-proof. I worked at it for about 20 minutes on each wheel. The base tape came off the casing on one of them before it came off the rim. But when you are rolling around at 25 psi, the glue job is all that is holding the tubular to the rim. Way overkill for the road, but if anyone is running tubs for cross, that's the way to go if you don't want to roll one.

Too Tall
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Zankissimo :) There is a real good possibility I'll need that tip real this cross season Z-man. Sigh. The wait will kill me.

zank
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
No sweat, dewd. Get in touch anytime.

Sorta off topic, are you running tubs for D2R2? If so, what type/size?

stackie
07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
I wrap my tubular in a square of duck cloth a la Rivendell's burrito along with a 2 CO2 cartridges. Keep it strapped on with a... dog collar. I know, should be a toe strap, but the leather on the dog collar matches the Brooks Antique Brown well. Looks clean to me. Plus, I have a clean square to put stuff on on a dirty roadside, should I need.

Jon

Too Tall
07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
All good stackie. I've got that same waxed cloth for bad weather.

Zank - Yep, last yr. I ran TUFO D28s. Thinking was that mostly D2R2 is a hard pack with some technical and lots of real fast rocky downs that this was a good choice....it was. I'm no fan of TUFO in general however it really fits the job in this case. I'll run same this yr.

J.Greene
07-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Plus, I have a clean square to put stuff on on a dirty roadside, should I need.
Jon

My buddy does this. He looks like he is having a 10 course meal on the side of the road. He turns a 2 min job into a 10 min job.

JG