PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some gear for a short trip

Bart001
07-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm heading off to Martha's Vineyard next week for a 3 day/2 nite trip with the bike and not the car. The place I'm staying is just a couple of blocks from the ferry depot, so in theory I could bring 2 bags, but I'll probably stick to one backpack.

The weather -- well who knows. Besides my 'normal' summer cycling wear, what do I want? A poncho? Just a lightweight breathable rain jacket that is waist length (and which I already own)? We probably won't be motivated (enough) to actually ride in the rain, but some foul weather gear for even the trip to/from (and then on) the ferry seems appropriate. I'm not used to 'packing light.'

(Bonus request -- any particularly good routes or roads to avoid on MV? Any other MV favorites?)

J.Greene
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
All of the roads around the majors town are crowded in the summer. The roads away from the towns are better.

When I do 3 day trips I can pack my basic gear and two changes of clothes and 2 sets of riding cloths in a caradice saddle bag. It's a much better way to go than a back pack if your staying at multiple locations.

JG

I'm heading off to Martha's Vineyard next week for a 3 day/2 nite trip with the bike and not the car. The place I'm staying is just a couple of blocks from the ferry depot, so in theory I could bring 2 bags, but I'll probably stick to one backpack.

The weather -- well who knows. Besides my 'normal' summer cycling wear, what do I want? A poncho? Just a lightweight breathable rain jacket that is waist length (and which I already own)? We probably won't be motivated (enough) to actually ride in the rain, but some foul weather gear for even the trip to/from (and then on) the ferry seems appropriate. I'm not used to 'packing light.'

(Bonus request -- any particularly good routes or roads to avoid on MV? Any other MV favorites?)

Kevan
07-18-2007, 09:38 AM
a camera. Riding there is easy. Basics will do.