PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ultegra SL Group

Jeff N.
07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Anyone check the new Ultegra out yet? SHHHWEET! Jeff N.

Grant McLean
07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
It's OK.

Campy was there 5 years ago with the "century" finish Centaur grouppo.

There aren't a whole lot of paint colours that look really good with the parts,
really I just prefer polished or black.

g

jghall
07-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Not to start another Campy vs. Shimano war, but I'm not sure Sante in the late 90's wasn't one of the first "finished" gruppo's. Although it was white'ish in color.

Michael Maddox
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Not to start another Campy vs. Shimano war, but I'm not sure Sante in the late 90's wasn't one of the first "finished" gruppo's. Although it was white'ish in color.

Just so you know, Sante was in the late 80's and it wasn't "whiteish," it was WHITE. :) Lots of white powdercoat, metallic silver "Sante" script, and grey-silver bits.

I just sold my Sante stuff last year to an Australian. It was original stock for the 1988 and 1989 Schwinn Circuit. Those groups go for quite a pretty penny these days. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/images/Japan/Sante_87-ad.jpg

Simon Q
07-17-2007, 06:07 PM
It's OK.

Campy was there 5 years ago with the "century" finish Centaur grouppo.

g

+1. Polished or black for me also.

Grant McLean
07-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Just so you know, Sante was in the late 80's and it wasn't "whiteish," it was WHITE. :) Lots of white powdercoat, metallic silver "Sante" script, and grey-silver bits.

Except for the biopace rings, I remember thinking that Sante was cool.
Campy also did the 'C record' in century finish in the mid 80's too.

g

Big Dan
07-17-2007, 06:55 PM

RPS
07-17-2007, 10:26 PM

gGrant, have you seen the Ultegra SL? If so, is the color like a dark gunmetal grey (almost black), or lighter like the old 600? I can't tell from the pictures.

davids
07-18-2007, 06:54 AM
I saw it in the flesh, on a new Madone. It's pretty dark.

Meh.

I suppose on the right bike, it would look pretty good. I prefer the regular Ultegra group.

jghall
07-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Just so you know, Sante was in the late 80's and it wasn't "whiteish," it was WHITE. Lots of white powdercoat, metallic silver "Sante" script, and grey-silver bits

Thanks for correcting my typo Michael. Meant to say the 80's but the fingers got in the way of the brain. :rolleyes:

Couldn't remember "how" white it was. Guess I could have looked since I still have a few Sante parts in my basement. Hopefully enough to piece together my retro Paramount.

Regards,
Jeff

bostondrunk
07-18-2007, 07:04 AM
It'll never be -that- popular because it says 'Ultegra'. Now if they'd made the Dura Ace groupo in the dark color, that probably would have been a hot seller!

Nothing will ever beat the late 80's/early 90's C-Record groupo, yes, including the Delta brakes!!!!

Jeff N.
07-18-2007, 08:11 AM
It'll never be -that- popular because it says 'Ultegra'. Now if they'd made the Dura Ace groupo in the dark color, that probably would have been a hot seller!

Nothing will ever beat the late 80's/early 90's C-Record groupo, yes, including the Delta brakes!!!!Makes me wonder what's coming in '08 with Dura Ace. I've heard/read about some electronic group in the works, which doesn't interest me in the slightest. We shall see...eventually. Jeff N.

Grant McLean
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Grant, have you seen the Ultegra SL? If so, is the color like a dark gunmetal grey (almost black), or lighter like the old 600? I can't tell from the pictures.

Yes, I've ridden it.

The colour is dark, in the shade it looks almost black,
in the light, it has a blue-ish tint.

g

steve575
07-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I would like to try the Ultegra SL compact crank set. Looks like an upgrade over the R700 compact. Are they available for purchase yet?

Jeff N.
07-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, I've ridden it.

gThe color is not unlike the color of the hubs on late model Easton Orion II's, IMO. Jeff N.

RPS
07-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, I've ridden it.

gGrant, did you ride the new compact, triple, or std? Was performance any different? I don't really care much about the weight savings but like the appearance of the new compact much better; which I may try in lieu of a triple.

In your opinion is the color dark enough to go well on a black carbon frame?

Grant McLean
07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Grant, did you ride the new compact, triple, or std? Was performance any different? I don't really care much about the weight savings but like the appearance of the new compact much better; which I may try in lieu of a triple.

In your opinion is the color dark enough to go well on a black carbon frame?

I rode a std crank group.
It felt exactly the same as regular ultegra,
but then I ride campy all the time and to me,
all shimano feels the same.

The difference with the SL group is in the materials
of some of the parts, to save weight.

The colour you'll have to decide for yourself, I guess.

from cyclingnews.com:

"Shimano announced an upgraded version of its ubiquitous Ultegra road component group to address the ever-widening price gap between its top-level Dura-Ace group and its second-tier offering. The new Ultegra SL package shaves nearly 100g off of the standard edition and also wears an optional bolder and darker 'Ice Grey' anodized finish to complement the standard silver.

Much of the weight loss is due to the new Dual Control levers, which make increased use of aluminum to shave 43g. A refined crankset (offered in both double and triple varieties) now utilizes a lighter and stiffer machined-from-billet steel bottom bracket axle, lighter cups, and aluminum chainring bolts to shed another 35g. Finally, a new rear derailleur and brake calipers subtract an additional 9g and 10g, respectively. "

g

Bill Bove
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Saw it, rode it, not impressed.

But I am a Campy guy.

To me the color was just to blah. It would only look good on an all white bike with all Ultegra SL parts. It doesn't mix well with other colors.

It is a little lighter than Ultegra Classic and it costs a little more. Still cheaper than DA but not as light...