PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen - jerk???

LegendRider
07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
OUCH! This is from Velonews' report from today's stage.

"I am very happy with today," said the skinny Dane. "Now there is no doubt about who is the captain of this team is. I stayed close to Valverde because he had another teammate up there. I felt like it was a victory for me to be able to fight back the 25 times Valverde tried to attack. I felt very clear in the head today seeing the tactics of the race. It was disappointing that Menchov couldn't get his *** over the Galibier. I think it's a climber's Tour."

SWorks4me
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
(good Cuban dish)

w/out hearing the context of the quote, it is difficult to say. I know many times I will make comments about teammates like that...and vice versa. It's not a personal attack...just more like, "man, I wish Joe would've got his *** outta the bunch and came up to help." I'm sure the "chicken" would've appreciated the help.

saab2000
07-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Probably taken somewhat out of context. If it really is like that then he might not have so much support when he needs it with a flat tire.....

Let me say again though that I consider his lead to be dangerous. He could win the overall.

Ozz
07-17-2007, 02:01 PM
let's see if he can stay on his bike during a time trial...... :rolleyes:

sspielman
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM
With gratitude like that, it might be that Menchov won't find the "form" to get is arse over a couple of more climbs to come, too....I understand that he is not well liked....

Fixed
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM
bro I thinke he ment arse imho
cheers

manet
07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
lover's spat gone public

soulspinner
07-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Probably taken somewhat out of context. If it really is like that then he might not have so much support when he needs it with a flat tire.....

Let me say again though that I consider his lead to be dangerous. He could win the overall.

He lost between 14 and 15 minutes last year in time trials. He better pick up a whole lot o time because hes looking at 100ks of itts this year...

cadence90
07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought this was a thread about obtuse. :banana:

Rasmussen won't win it.
I don't think his TTs are up to it, and he'll be Basqued-in in the Pyrenees.

Fixed
07-17-2007, 02:14 PM

bro there was another lil freak who won before L.A. came back
cheers

Avispa
07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
let's see if he can stay on his bike during a time trial...... :rolleyes:

Just like I predicted in the Giro when DiLuca took the jersey on the penultimate week...

I say, this Tour won't be over 'till after Saturday... Stages 13-16 will be the killer ones! The last TT will be just a formality for the leader to secure his ride to Paris.

A.

manet
07-17-2007, 02:17 PM
rasmussen booble head TT doll

Grant McLean
07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
He lost between 14 and 15 minutes last year in time trials. He better pick up a whole lot o time because hes looking at 100ks of itts this year...

It's not really fair/accurate to compare time-trial times of riders that are not
looking for a high GC result. Climbers will soft pedal through the TT's
to get the most recovery possible for the mtn stages. Riders that are not
their team leader or GC contender are worker bee's that dose their efforts
throughout various stages, working for other riders, or targeting individual
results.

The only real effort Rasmussen made in a tour TT was the 2005 debacle when
he crashed about a hundred times, trying to keep his podium spot.

We don't really know yet if the 'chicken' is a for real GC contender, but by
some of the talk this week, it looks like he's going to take a shot. It sure
looks like Menchov is toast.

g

saab2000
07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
We don't really know yet if the 'chicken' is a for real GC contender, but by
some of the talk this week, it looks like he's going to take a shot.
g

Word. He's 3 minutes in front. Not bad. And some big mountain stages to come.

Interesting for sure.

His lead is not to be underestimated.

bigbill
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I met him at the Rome airport before the Giro. He comes across as a pr*ck. The rest of the team was nice. It might not be his fault, the team is required to wear blue suits with orange ties when they travel. That might make me act like a (not the) jerk too.

hansolo758
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
OUCH! This is from Velonews' report from today's stage.

"I am very happy with today," said the skinny Dane. "Now there is no doubt about who is the captain of this team is. I stayed close to Valverde because he had another teammate up there. I felt like it was a victory for me to be able to fight back the 25 times Valverde tried to attack. I felt very clear in the head today seeing the tactics of the race. It was disappointing that Menchov couldn't get his *** over the Galibier. I think it's a climber's Tour."

could this mean Rasmussen is now the real team leader and not Menchov? Perhaps Menchov was supposed to work for Rasmussen and didn't, possibly because he didn't want to? If (and I agree it's a big if) that's the case, you could hardly blame Rasmussen for being disappointed. With Menchov now being down over 7 minutes from the lead, I don't consider him a GC contender -- yes, I remember FL came back from over 8 minutes last year, but we're not going to hang our hats on that are we? Rasmussen seems to be Rabobank's best chance at the Yellow now and it makes sense for the team to put all its resources behind him. I suspect that was supposed to happen today but didn't. Coming on top of Saturday's disappoinment, when his team didn't organize itself properly for him, I can understand Rasmussen being frustrated and venting. It may not have been the most diplomatic thing to do but, hey, such things get said in the heat of battle. He's always seemed before like a pleasant and articulate guy to me. He freely admits his timetrialing stinks and, as a result, is quite realistic about his GC chances.

Grant McLean
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I met him at the Rome airport before the Giro. He comes across as a pr*ck.

That's not unusual for Scandinavian cultures.
Until you get to know them, they may seem aloof,
and less than open. But I wouldn't draw much of
a conclusion based on a single impression.

g

chrisroph
07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Chicken has a chance , lets see how he can TT when it counts, but Kloden, Levi, Valverde, and Cadel are all looking good too.

Grant McLean
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Chicken has a chance , lets see how he can TT when it counts, but Kloden, Levi, Valverde, and Cadel are all looking good too.

I think Kloden is underestimated. Now that Vino looks like he's going to let
the team ride for Kloden, he has as good a chance as anyone.
Astana needs to get behind him, (well in front of him, actually) and ride as a team.

g

RPS
07-17-2007, 03:40 PM

g+1

Foreigners can sometimes make a bad impression due to something as simple as poor translation or lack of language skills.

1centaur
07-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Is there a tactic that Rasmussen's rivals can use against him in the Spanish mountains?

If not, he's a definite threat on GC. His riding down the Galibier was determined, strong and confident in a way that tells me his TT skills will have improved this time - not great, but 3-4 minutes of time loss bad? Maybe, but not surely.

Kloeden would have been my pick pre-Tour if he had not been riding in support. There's a guy who can finish 5 seconds down to Valverde or Evans on every mountain top and win in the TTs. He got dropped by Armstrong but nobody here that can TT well looks capable of inflicting that kind of pain.

saab2000
07-17-2007, 07:35 PM
+1

Foreigners can sometimes make a bad impression due to something as simple as poor translation or lack of language skills.

Hmmm...... :o

What's a foreigner?......

I've been a 'foreigner' my whole life... Never fitting in 100% here and never 100% there.

Just because someone is not a US-American doesn't make them a 'foreigner'. We are all insiders somewhere and outsiders somewhere....

Don't mean to offend, but it is a touchy subject with me.

Anyway, RPS is sort of right. Sometimes people who are of a different cultuer or upbringing can seem a bit prickly at times.

Back on topic!!

The danger men as I see it right now are:

Kloeden
Rasmussen
Moreau
Valverde

In that order.

I would love to see Moreau win one!! Wouldn't that be something!!! The French would go NUTS and would have every right to celebrate one of their own winning the home race for the first time in 22 years!

link
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
practicing what he learned at the LA School of Charm?

97CSI
07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
bro there was another lil freak who won before L.A. came back cheersYeah.....but 'elephant ears' (I forgotten the eyetalian derivation of same) what all pumped on 'better living through chemistry' at the time.

saab2000
07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah.....but 'elephant ears' (I forgotten the eyetalian derivation of same) what all pumped on 'better living through chemistry' at the time.

And the others weren't????? C'mon!!?!?!?!

He beat them on a level playing field. Marco Pantani was one of the most talented and passionate riders of the past 15 years. Let the man rest in pace. Frankly, there is little doubt in my mind that he beat them fair and square according to the 'customs' of the day.

Simon Q
07-17-2007, 09:24 PM

I've been a 'foreigner' my whole life... Never fitting in 100% here and never 100% there.

Just because someone is not a US-American doesn't make them a 'foreigner'. We are all insiders somewhere and outsiders somewhere....

Don't mean to offend, but it is a touchy subject with me.

Anyway, RPS is sort of right. Sometimes people who are of a different cultuer or upbringing can seem a bit prickly at times.

Back on topic!!

The danger men as I see it right now are:

Kloeden
Rasmussen
Moreau
Valverde

In that order.

I would love to see Moreau win one!! Wouldn't that be something!!! The French would go NUTS and would have every right to celebrate one of their own winning the home race for the first time in 22 years!

Got a feeling that you could throw Evans into the mix. Although he started late in his career his two prevous Tour outings are 8th and 4th/5th - not bad - and I think thus far he is looking better this year than he has in the past and was 2nd in the DL to a super hot Moreau. Has done some handy TTs before (think of Tour de Suisse where he took the overall last year). Kloden is the one though, for sure. My top three are Kloden then Evans and Valverde fighting for the other two places. With two ITTs The Chicken will lose too much time to the others. Concerned that Moreau peaked at DL, we will see. If he continues at that level then I hate to say that I am worried that he is a little too good for a 37 year old...

RPS
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM

...snipped.....
Don't mean to offend, but it is a touchy subject with me.saab, I consider myself a foreigner because I can't run for president. :crap:

Sorry to touch a nerve. All I was saying is that different cultures act differently. As an example, some Latin people are louder, more expressive, and like to kid around a lot (i.e. -- much less serious). To people from some cultures that's irritating and disrespectful.

Anyway, if he wins the tour and becomes a jerk, we'll know he was one all along. Personally I hope he does well and makes it interesting down to the last TT.

saab2000
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
saab, I consider myself a foreigner because I can't run for president. :crap:

Sorry to touch a nerve. All I was saying is that different cultures act differently. As an example, some Latin people are louder, more expressive, and like to kid around a lot (i.e. -- much less serious). To people from some cultures that's irritating and disrespectful.

Anyway, if he wins the tour and becomes a jerk, we'll know he was one all along. Personally I hope he does well and makes it interesting down to the last TT.

I can run for president of the US but feel more at home elsewhere due to my upbringing....

Anyway, we live in the 'world' nowadays and there are few islands anymore ('cept Switzerland... :D) and must think of all of our neighbors.

Hoping it's a race to the last day! Safe and clean! :beer:

Avec Christoph Moreau comme vainquer du Tour de Fance a Paris!

97CSI
07-17-2007, 10:50 PM
And the others weren't????? C'mon!!?!?!?!

He beat them on a level playing field. Marco Pantani was one of the most talented and passionate riders of the past 15 years. Let the man rest in pace. Frankly, there is little doubt in my mind that he beat them fair and square according to the 'customs' of the day.You are entitled to your opinion. My guess is that we will never know who was hopped up on what. But Marco was to the end. And it killed him.

Elefantino
07-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey … don't be dissing Elefantino.

He may have died a bitter, lonely coke head and he may have been a double doper in 1998, but he made cycling more exciting. He was not a robot. He never dominated anything except climbs and the attention of his rivals.

Climb01742
07-18-2007, 04:22 AM
If not, he's a definite threat on GC. His riding down the Galibier was determined, strong and confident in a way that tells me his TT skills will have improved this time - not great, but 3-4 minutes of time loss bad? Maybe, but not surely.

that is what struck me about yesterday's stage. the chicken did more than his part to pull back contador+popo...and gap evans/mayo. i thought he showed a pretty big engine. for me the question is: he seems to have the engine to do a respectable TT but does he have the head and/or does he feel comfortable enough on a TT to handle it well, at speed, when the tour is on the line? phil+paul said he doesn't even practice on his TT rig. if true, a good engine might be be enough to handle a tricky/twitchy TT rig in a pressure situation...especially if, say, his 2- and 4-minute men pass him and he has to take big risks to limit his losses. it could get sketchy.

coylifut
07-18-2007, 04:59 AM
that is what struck me about yesterday's stage. the chicken did more than his part to pull back contador+popo...and gap evans/mayo. i thought he showed a pretty big engine. for me the question is: he seems to have the engine to do a respectable TT but does he have the head and/or does he feel comfortable enough on a TT to handle it well, at speed, when the tour is on the line? phil+paul said he doesn't even practice on his TT rig. if true, a good engine might be be enough to handle a tricky/twitchy TT rig in a pressure situation...especially if, say, his 2- and 4-minute men pass him and he has to take big risks to limit his losses. it could get sketchy.

pro level time trial bikes are far from twitchy. in fact the opposite in my experience. his uber melt down a couple of years ago was completely psycological. i would supect it's behind him by now. with that said, i don't believe in the guy at all. with rare exception, tour winners posses more than one skill in their tool box. someone like Kloden will put up to 8 minutes into him over the 100k of tts that are left.

J.Greene
07-18-2007, 09:01 AM
someone like Kloden will put up to 8 minutes into him over the 100k of tts that are left.

I'm not counting the chicken out yet. Last year he was beat by mcewan in the first tt so he was obviously soft pedaling. Didn't Heras(doped I know, but still special) get second in his last Vuelta TT? When a guy has fitness surprising things can happen in a 3 week race atmo.

JG

97CSI
07-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm not counting the chicken out yet. Last year he was beat by mcewan in the first tt so he was obviously soft pedaling. Didn't Heras(doped I know, but still special) get second in his last Vuelta TT? When a guy has fitness surprising things can happen in a 3 week race atmo. JGHeras was stronger in the TTs and, in addition to doping, he spent a great deal of time training for the TTs. Something that Rasmussen has not done.

flydhest
07-18-2007, 09:50 AM

g

Scandies . . . my favorite joke is that there's a shipwreck and 2 Frenchmen, 2 Germans, and 2 Swedes wash up on an island. 3 months later, they're rescued. In that time, the French have figured out the best things on the island to eat, the Germans have calculated the location of the island by the stars and have worked out a schedule for all the routines on the island. The Swedes are waiting to be introduced to each other.

ps my wife is from Stockholm. It's funnier if you know a lot of Swedes.

Samster
07-18-2007, 10:41 AM

g
+1. also, let's not forget the possible ESL effect.

Grant McLean
07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
+1. also, let's not forget the possible ESL effect.

Language no problem in Denmark, almost everyone speaks English.
In Copenhagen, very tall and blond women like to take younger
Canadian men home with them, it's a very civilized place!

g

Samster
07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
In Copenhagen, very tall and blond women like to take younger Canadian men home with them, it's a very civilized place!

gah, to be canadian. i will aspire to it.

theprep
07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Language no problem in Denmark, almost everyone speaks English.
In Copenhagen, very tall and blond women like to take younger
Canadian men home with them, it's a very civilized place!

g

I had a high school teacher who went to Copenhagen in 1984. The man went on and on for days on how beautiful the women were and what an amazing time he had in doors. He told all the guys we owed it to ourselves to visit before marrying. It was quite a passionate speech and I remember it well.

I didn't take his advice and married young.

MadRocketSci
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
i've found scandanavians on vacation (ie Greece in August) and scandanavians at home to be two different peoples... :beer:

Larry
07-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Got a feeling that you could throw Evans into the mix. Although he started late in his career his two prevous Tour outings are 8th and 4th/5th - not bad - and I think thus far he is looking better this year than he has in the past and was 2nd in the DL to a super hot Moreau. Has done some handy TTs before (think of Tour de Suisse where he took the overall last year). Kloden is the one though, for sure. My top three are Kloden then Evans and Valverde fighting for the other two places. With two ITTs The Chicken will lose too much time to the others. Concerned that Moreau peaked at DL, we will see. If he continues at that level then I hate to say that I am worried that he is a little too good for a 37 year old...

Didn't Armstrong say that he had tremendous respect for Cadel Evans??
He sure did climb well several days ago.
Can he sustain that level in week 3?
Can he do a red hot TT, or two??
It may come down to the hungriest and bravest road warrior reigning supreme.
The next few mountain stages look brutal!!