PDA

View Full Version : New to single speed/fixed...help me out

BigDaddySmooth
07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Fellas,
I recently purchased (but yet to receive) a Spectrum track/pursuit frameset that I just couldn't resist on eBay. It has a steep forward sloping TT and a 650 fork. I may offend the purists out there but my plan is to use it as a singlespeed-fixie and put F/R brakes on it. The current steel fork probably lacks the space to allow for drilling so I may need a new fork. If so, should I stay w/a 650 or go to a 700? Also, how do I know what size chain-ring/cog(s) to start out with?

Thanks.

Louis
07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Also, how do I know what size chain-ring/cog(s) to start out with?

Figure out where you are going to ride it, then ride that route on a geared bike, but shift only when you really, really, really need to shift. Note what ratio works best for you and the riding you will want to do. Go with that as an initial choice. You may want to change later.

Louis

a100mark
07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE]Fellas,[QUOTE]

Show some love for ladies of the forum too :banana:
I chose my gearing based on where I live. 46t on the crank and 17t on the rear.

cadence90
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Fellas,
I recently purchased (but yet to receive) a Spectrum track/pursuit frameset that I just couldn't resist on eBay. It has a steep forward sloping TT and a 650 fork. I may offend the purists out there but my plan is to use it as a singlespeed-fixie and put F/R brakes on it. The current steel fork probably lacks the space to allow for drilling so I may need a new fork. If so, should I stay w/a 650 or go to a 700? Also, how do I know what size chain-ring/cog(s) to start out with?

Thanks.
FWIW, that all sounds like a bad idea.
Not because of any "purism" really, but because of frame geometry and provenance.
A track/pursuit frame is a very specific thing, not really designed for road riding.

I looked up that auction. It's a gorgeous frame. Really beautiful.
But, changing the fork to 700c will definitely affect the frame characteristics.
The frame is a wishbone/monostay (no rear brake bridge) and no way can the fork be drilled.
The geo is all pursuit/kilo geo.
Tom Kellogg is a master, and a great track frame designer.
Why wreck a great frame to get a not-so-good frame out of it? It wasn't exactly cheap, either. As it is, it is perfect for what it was meant to do....

I think the ebay seller had exactly the right idea and reason for selling it: to leave well enough alone.

YMMV.

Fixed
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE]Fellas,[QUOTE]

Show some love for ladies of the forum too :banana:
I chose my gearing based on where I live. 46t on the crank and 17t on the rear.
you cats are hot ..imho cheers

Rapid Tourist
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
:) :) Lets hear it for the female fixers, of which I am one. :)

I chose my first fixed "gear" because there's a fixed website called 63xc. So , I went with 63 gear inches. Proved too small a gear for me, and my current gearing is about a 66-67 inch gear.

I say start around 65 and see where it goes from there. It will all depend on your fitness level, where and how long you like to ride. All of these are personal to you and no one on the internet can give you the right answer.

Have FUN :) :)

CJH
07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
As mentioned, looks like a really bad idea! However if you want a front brake this might just be the ticket...Link http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/index_j.htm