PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know the story on this warranty dispute?q

dekindy
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62594

It would appear that not all the facts are presented and it would not influence my view of Serotta, but it would be nice to know the whole story.

goonster
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62594

In that thread:

1. The OP is not relating his own problem, rather his "buddy's"
2. The OP's understanding of the frame's damage, and what caused it, is clearly limited
3. The OP was obviously not directly involved in any of the exchanges between the LBS and Serotta

Nevertheless, there are apparently people on the intarweb who read this drivel and conclude "OMFG Serotta is teh suxor" and potentially base a $6k+ purchasing decision on this. :rolleyes:

soulspinner
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Rust is not covered, keep paint on yer steel outside and :crap: framesaver in the tubes.

Fixed
07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
2 sides to every story ..imho
cheers

kestrel
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I had a similar problem with a Serotta frame years ago. Seven years after I purchased the frame, it cracked at the shifter bosses. I talked to Serotta, they offered no promises, but agreed to check it out if I sent it back. RA number in hand, I boxed the frame and UPS'ed it to Serotta. Six weeks later, I received a new frame with a note: "After examining the frame, Serotta concludes it could very well have been a manufacturing defect, so a new frame is included at no charge to you. Thank you for your business."

Serotta PETE
07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Over the years I have seen SEROTTA go out of their way in warranty claims. A friend asked me to check for his buddy and have them look at an old steel frame which he said "was in excellent shape". It turns our it was 15 years old, fellow was from florida and there was plenty of rust...Not exactly in "excellent shape". So there are two sides to each story.

Serotta did replace the frame,

Usually the dealer gets the RA and ships the frame (he says he sent via dealer so that is good.) Then it is evaluated, usually by Kelly, and an estimate for repair or warranty is sent to dealer for approval. I have never heard of the $125 type of thing to evaluate a situation.

Let me offer the following, for I am sure there is more to this story. Have the fellow (who owns the frame) send me the name of the dealer and the RA and I will find out more detail.

Serotta has warranty second to none, when it is needed. Yes I am biased but for the reason is that I have seen how Kelly and the gang do warranty- over the past 20 years..

Thanks Pete

Ahneida Ride
07-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I checked the thread .....

The affected area had rust. Rust is specifically not covered under warranty.
Realistically, how can Serotta be responsible for rust damage?
But still Serotta offered to make a repair at a reduced rate.

I wonder how may other manufactures would go to that extent?

jberk
07-18-2007, 01:47 PM
the thread contains the following link posted by "Serotta":

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62594. it appears that the part had rusted, which is not covered.

Polyglot
07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm confused, how can a frame rust at the front derailleur braze-on? I can't figure out how you could get oxidizing agents in touch with the steel tubing in that position unless somebody stuffed something down teh seat-tube, perhaps to prevent gunk from reaching the BB. I know strange things can happen, but I just don't understand this.

Serotta PETE
07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
There is more to this story than is what is stated in the post from his buddy.

Please trust me when I say that SEROTTA went over and above trying to make the customer happy. It was not just one item.

Thanks

djg
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Please trust me when I say that SEROTTA went over and above trying to make the customer happy. It was not just one item.

Thanks

I trust ya. As I posted over on RBR, I'm astonished that anybody would take a single, isolated, second-hand report of a problem, related by a stranger on the Internet, as evidence of much of anything. On this board, at least, posters gain credibility over time, with virtual experiences that are augmented by real live face-to-face ones. The one-off thing from a mystery "friend" or a "buddy"? And then another guy posts that he's been really happy with his Serotta but the story just tears it for him? I mean, cross out "Serotta" and write in "Seven" or "Trek" or "Huffy" for that matter and I'm still sort of amazed by the response.

BURCH
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I trust ya. As I posted over on RBR, I'm astonished that anybody would take a single, isolated, second-hand report of a problem, related by a stranger on the Internet, as evidence of much of anything.

I agree with this quote. I subtract a large amount of credibility when a story is told by someone not really involved in the actual interaction. You get one side of the story from one party involved. You get a skewed side of the story when told by the friend of a party involved.

NEXT!!!

Fixed
07-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks
bro i knew that all along ..
cheers

dekindy
07-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. It seemed obvious that this guy was not knowledgeable about Serotta and their reputation.

aj4e
07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
when i take my car in because i think something is wrong with it, i know that if it is covered under the warranty, there will be no charge. but if it is not covered under warranty, i will have to pay an inspection fee just for having them look at it, regardless of whether the repair is made or not.

maybe this "warranty inspection fee" (customer's phrasing, not serotta's) is the same thing. serotta inspected the frame, and found the necessary repair to not be covered under warranty. the customer decides he doesn't want the repair completed, even at serotta's discounted offer, and he wants his bike back.

i don't see a problem with him paying a fee to cover serotta's inspection since it wasn't covered under warranty.

that said, time to take the car to the shop, hope that knocking is covered under warranty!