PDA

View Full Version : a dogs life

Fixed
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery/2007/jul/17/tourdefrance.cycling?picture=330211221
check this out bro
cheers

gdw
07-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Was that dog driving an SUV or pickup? It looks like he might be planning to mark his victim....

weisan
07-17-2007, 10:58 AM
is it optical illusion or did the front wheel actually crumbles on impact...

Keith A
07-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I saw that crash this morning on VS before I left for work. The dog was just wondering around in the street and the T-Mobile guy slammed on his brakes to try and avoid him, but he hit him right in the side -- but at a slow speed. What was amazing was how the rider's front carbon wheel just folded into pieces -- it didn't inspire confidence in the carbon rim wheels.

ThasFACE
07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
It looks like the wheel starts to fold before impact. Folks over on WW indicate that it was a LW Obermayer. I'm not sure if that dog could have gotten off much better.

http://www3.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/interactief/tour2007/systeem/videos/video02.wmv

Sandy
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
What happened to the wheel really is surprising, especially at a low speed. I wouldn/t think that the damage could possible be that severe.

The lab looks really stressed in one of the photos, as if someone is yelling at him or he feels threatened by people approaching.

Hope that both the lab and the cyclist were ok.

Sandy

Onno
07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. My front wheel pretzeled in the same way, and it was a mavic open pro. I think what happens is that the wheel is suddenly knocked sideways from the impact with the dog, and the it's the forward momentum and the resistance of the sideways wheel against the road that collapses the wheel. The dog walked away unscathed in my accident too...

Nick H.
07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I've replayed this a few times. An alloy rim would have folded too. The rider turns the bars to the right just before he hits the dog. As soon as he touches the dog the wheel goes through 90 degrees, so the rim is pressed against the dog's side all the way along its body. I used to have some Lightweight Obermayers and went to the factory to see them being made - they are much stronger than they look and it takes a lot to wreck them with a frontal impact. I think if the rider had hit the dog dead straight the rim would have been OK and the dog and the forks would have broken.

gdw
07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Light wheels are fragile but that wasn't much of an impact. Did your Open Pro taco or fold?

72gmc
07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
How thoughtful of the T-Mobile mechanic to install a crumple zone for wayward dogs.

Keith A
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Hope that both the lab and the cyclist were ok.It looks like they both survived fine -- but the owner needs to be flogged.

Nick H.
07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
The dog looked pretty happy! He didn't even flinch or yelp when he was hit - just fell over, got to his feet, and kept waddling along, wagging his tail!

pjm
07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Been there, done that. I ended up with a broken pelvis, don't know about the mutt.

BBB
07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
I cringed when I saw that footage. I could imagine my Labrador doing exactly the same thing - wagging its tail, going to investigate the moving colourful images and then causing an accident and looking somewhat surprised at the outcome. Lovely dogs, but brains are sometimes lacking, well at least in mine.

But gee whiz, T-Mobile can't take a trick - a rider hitting the barriers, a rider hitting a spectator, a rider hitting a dog. What next?

Sandy
07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
It looks like they both survived fine -- but the owner needs to be flogged.

You got that right!!

Sandy