PDA

View Full Version : Food to calm the busy mind :)

Too Tall
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Keith, this will fix you up. A simple bowl of red is one of the worlds best recipes. Heck, even Bittman would not argue with that.
================================================== ======

TEXAS-STYLE CHILI
(6 to 8 servings)

Adapted from "A Bowl of Red" by Frank X. Tolbert

6 to 12 dried ancho chilies, or 6 to 12 tablespoons ground red chili pepper
3 pounds lean beef, coarsely ground
Cooking oil as needed
1/8 pound beef kidney suet (optional)
1 teaspoon oregano powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (Tolbert uses Tabasco)
2 or more cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons masa harina (optional)

If you're using whole dried peppers, wash them and remove the stems and seeds. (Don't touch your eyes during this operation, and wash your hands thoroughly afterward.) Boil the pods in water to cover for about 30 minutes or until the skins can be removed. Then grind, chop or run through a colander the remaining skinless, seedless, stemless pods. Reserve the peppery water to use for liquid in the chili.

Sear the beef in oil until it is gray in color. To a large pot, add the beef, rendered suet, if using, and ground or chopped chili pepper pods (or ground red chili pepper, if using). Add water and/or the peppery cooking liquid to a depth that covers the beef by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat and add the oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, keeping the lid on as much as possible. Stir only if necessary. Add more water or the peppery cooking liquid only if the mixture would burn otherwise.

Remove from the heat and skim any accumulated fat. If desired, thicken with 2 tablespoons masa harina, first mixing it with water. Return to the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the meat is done. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

SWorks4me
07-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Ahhhh...using the old Navy SEAL technique of diverting pain from one area of the body to another.... top to bottom! :D

Keith A
07-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the recipe, but I think I'll have sushi today.

gdw
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Not bad but you forgot the habernaros.

YO!!!
07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Tolbert has been marketing his recipe in supermarkets for years.
Add meat, water, and oil to the mix and you're good to go.

PLEASE...Beans on the side if you must.

Keith, this will fix you up. A simple bowl of red is one of the worlds best recipes. Heck, even Bittman would not argue with that.
================================================== ======

TEXAS-STYLE CHILI
(6 to 8 servings)

Adapted from "A Bowl of Red" by Frank X. Tolbert

6 to 12 dried ancho chilies, or 6 to 12 tablespoons ground red chili pepper
3 pounds lean beef, coarsely ground
Cooking oil as needed
1/8 pound beef kidney suet (optional)
1 teaspoon oregano powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (Tolbert uses Tabasco)
2 or more cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons masa harina (optional)

If you're using whole dried peppers, wash them and remove the stems and seeds. (Don't touch your eyes during this operation, and wash your hands thoroughly afterward.) Boil the pods in water to cover for about 30 minutes or until the skins can be removed. Then grind, chop or run through a colander the remaining skinless, seedless, stemless pods. Reserve the peppery water to use for liquid in the chili.

Sear the beef in oil until it is gray in color. To a large pot, add the beef, rendered suet, if using, and ground or chopped chili pepper pods (or ground red chili pepper, if using). Add water and/or the peppery cooking liquid to a depth that covers the beef by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat and add the oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, keeping the lid on as much as possible. Stir only if necessary. Add more water or the peppery cooking liquid only if the mixture would burn otherwise.

Remove from the heat and skim any accumulated fat. If desired, thicken with 2 tablespoons masa harina, first mixing it with water. Return to the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the meat is done. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

gasman
07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=YO!!!]Tolbert has been marketing his recipe in supermarkets for years.
Add meat, water, and oil to the mix and you're good to go.

PLEASE.Beans on the side if you must.[/QUOTE

Great reciepe and not too hot-really ! I've had it many times but my family isn't too keen on it so i rarely make it now.

Mmmmm.. with black beans on the side.

Keith A
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
The wasabi was great today :D

Too Tall
07-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Yo Keith, in your honor I had Sushi today...heavy on the wasabi !!!

Dewds and Dewdettes if you like chilis than Lancaster County, PA is the place to be. Once a yr. they have an obscure pepper festival. Center of the pepper universe as far as I'm concerned. An Amish family hosts center stage sporting at least 5 acres planted in hundreds of diff. peppers. They even have soft serve pepper ice creme...IT'S SO WRONG!!!

Keith A
07-17-2007, 01:22 PM
And these are a great snack!!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/104/293869584_2bd677e697.jpg?v=0