PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Saddles - opinions please

Clydesdale
07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Thinking about trying a Brooks. Anyone willing to share their experience? Are they really any different/ more comfortable?

Thanks.

dekindy
07-16-2007, 09:42 PM
If you have not heard of Selle An-Atomica saddles give them a look. I have not tried one but have been doing a lot of research and they are a serious contender.

shaq-d
07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Thinking about trying a Brooks. Anyone willing to share their experience? Are they really any different/ more comfortable?

Thanks.

that kinda depends on where u're coming from. if u're coming from racing saddles, or even the selle san marco/etc., then ya, it makes a big difference.

the brooks was made for big guys like u and me. oh yeaaah.

sd

bostondrunk
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
WHat kind of bike do you ride?? Speaking strictly from an asthetics point of view, unless you are building a touring bike, I'd try a San Marco Regal first...

dave thompson
07-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks.
There's a bunch of us, including some larger riders (like me) that have nothing but Brooks on their bikes.

Saddles can be very personal, good for one but not for another. Brooks have been around for over 100 years because they build good saddles that seem to fit quite a few riders nicely and last a very long time. Using a Brooks, the saddle is no longer the determining factor of how many hours I can ride.

Wallingford Bicycle Parts (http://www.wallbike.com/) is a large Brooks dealer and has a 6-month return/exchange policy with their Brooks saddles. They are well worth calling and discussing your Brooks needs.

bigman
07-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Am a big person - and have had a few Brooks saddles- the only one that I found worked for me was the B17- which is the shiznit!

Sold a presoftened Brooks Pro, A swallow with ti rails and a Brooks team pro.

Many swear by the B17 and know I am included in this group. These do look out of place when put on most modern rigs - but at least when I am on the bike you can barely see what I am sitting on.....

SoCalSteve
07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
There's a bunch of us, including some larger riders (like me) that have nothing but Brooks on their bikes.
Saddles can be very personal, good for one but not for another. Brooks have been around for over 100 years because they build good saddles that seem to fit quite a few riders nicely and last a very long time. Using a Brooks, the saddle is no longer the determining factor of how many hours I can ride.
Wallingford Bicycle Parts (http://www.wallbike.com/) is a large Brooks dealer and has a 6-month return/exchange policy with their Brooks saddles. They are well worth calling and discussing your Brooks needs.

In resemble those remarks!

Its all so personal, all I know is I turned BigMan (aka Henry) onto Brooks saddles and he is lovin' em! And he is 6' 4"...

Steve

Scooper
07-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I have Brooks Professionals on the three bikes I spend most of my time on. Over the years I've tried others, but always go back to the Brooks.

jcmuellner
07-16-2007, 11:31 PM
As with anything, saddles are quite personal...I have 6 Brooks Pros on a variety of bikes and one Swallow. All very nice for me and I tend to use Brooks that are around 160mm at the widest part.

They are worth a try if you've gone through a number of other saddles, but do keep in mind that they are leather and have some break-in period which varies as they are not as consistent as plastic saddles. This can be a plus or minus for some.

I've found them to be excellent perches for long rides, as that's where a saddle really shines. Anything under 50-75 miles I can make do. Over that and it becomes a bigger issue.

I don't use any Bag Balm, Assos or other creams, only some J.P. Durga Chafe Creme if I'm going for a long ride. The fit makes the difference.

Ken Robb
07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
search the archives here as :banana: many of us have posted lots of info/opinions on Brooks.

weaponsgrade
07-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I have a B-17 that I bought for my fixed gear. My problem with it is that I find the nose part too wide and I get all chafed up. I was running a Flite before which was fine and bought the Brooks because I liked the way it looked and it seemed to have a good following.

Ray
07-17-2007, 05:20 AM
...that GM makes great cars (except that GM makes sorry-a$$ cars). Point being that Brooks makes a BUNCH of different saddles for everything from urban shopping bikes to touring bikes to racing bikes. Crazy-wide beach cruiser saddles to very narrow little racing wedges. Some are sprung even! The material and workmanship on all of them is good (so the GM analogy is shot - sorry) but you may or may not find one that fits yer bum, bike (you can't get much setback out of the rails), and riding style. Call Wallingford, give one or two a try based on the kind of riding your do and how you're built (I'd try the B-17 and something narrower to see what works for you). They'll take 'em back if you don't like 'em. And the only way to know is to try.

-Ray

Clydesdale
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
I've ridden a bunch of saddles and found several good (really like the arione I'm on now and really liked the selle san marco also). The gel saddles I have been on have not been a good experience and I rode the trans am saddle with the cutout and it was fine but not really different than anything else. I can make them all work, but I'm still chasing that elusive "perfect" saddle.

I have heard good things about the Brooks and just wanted to hear from some people who have been on them. The b17, the pro, or the swallow would be the likely choices.

This forum is a great resource, thanks for the replies.

Bradford
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Loved my Brooks, especially for touring and long rides, but got sick of always worrying about the rain.

I switched to Fiziks and found same great comfort, don't have to worry about getting things wet.

(And no, I didn't find carrying a saddle bonnet to be a reasonable solution).

Ahneida Ride
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
In resemble those remarks!

Its all so personal, all I know is I turned BigMan (aka Henry) onto Brooks saddles and he is lovin' em! And he is 6' 4"...

Steve

Me too .... Another big guy on Brooks .... Honey Ti B17

dauwhe
07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Some littler folks like the B17, too. : )

I've had no trouble with rain--just throw on the saddle cover and no worries!

Dave

72gmc
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I'd say start with what you know. I've recently installed a B-17 Narrow on my Davidson and the break-in is going nicely.

I switched from a Terry Fly that is by far my favorite non-Brooks saddle. My only issue with the Fly was that I felt it was supporting just the inside edge of the sit bones, which was fine for up to 3 hours, and after that not so fine. My Fly measures at only 140mm wide and my B-17 narrow, while considerably narrower than the standard model, is ~155mm wide.

It's not the 6-month rainy Seattle winter yet, so I don't yet know how I feel about carrying a saddle cover.