PDA

View Full Version : Ionos Giro... soon to ship?

terrytnt
07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Has anyone seen or know when the new Ionos Giro helmet (3 years in development) will be available.

Here's what I know:
* lighter - 260 gms. (medium)
* 21 vents (fewer but much bigger - apparently you really feel the air)
* stronger - carbon fiber reinforced
* currently being used in Tour (Discovery.. and some other teams)
* and of course, more expensive ~$215

Should be available any day...

coylifut
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
i paid $45 for the last helmet I bought. I took the $ I saved and bought some nice tires.

BdaGhisallo
07-17-2007, 05:53 AM
I have heard that we should expect to see it land in stores in late August or, more realistically, September. I am looking forward to getting one. I don't understand how they can't get their release dates sorted. All of the early pr on the helmet mentioned a mid-July release - even Giro's own guy who I saw over on the Road Magazine blog. Then, two weeks after mentioning it, the date is suddenly pushed back two months? Did they have no inkling of that when they mentioned a July date?

If your product ain't ready to go, don't say it is. It pisses folks off!!!!

jbrainin
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't expect it any time too soon. My LBS tells me that their Giro rep has never discussed the Ionos with them and that the item is not even available for ordering at this time.

Who knows, maybe it will be released tomorrow and a flood of the things will begin arriving in stores next week…but I doubt it.

dauwhe
07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
I've found that I much prefer inexpensive helmets to expensive ones. $35 helmets seem to fit me better than $100+ helmets.

Dave

jberk
07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
They were used at last year's TdF as well, so you would have figured they would have been sold in the Fall of 2006. But they weren't, so who knows when they will be available. That being said, the Giro website does say they will be available this summer.