PDA

View Full Version : obtuse ,e-richie ,grant

Fixed
07-14-2007, 06:51 PM
I ve been gone .... are these bros still around ?
I have not.seen anything from them since i've been back .
cheers

LegendRider
07-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Can o' worms. Obtuse and e-richie are gone. I think Grant still participates, though I don't recall seeing a post recently.

Kevan
07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
just as well.

My hopes are the S magnetic pull will bring folk back.

And I don't mean Sandy.

Smiley
07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
cheers
They are under self imposed exile :)

bshell
07-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Fixed,

There was an exodus to Frameforum.net a couple of months ago. Go say "Hi", I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

davids
07-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey Fixed,

There was an exodus to Frameforum.net a couple of months ago. Go say "Hi", I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.
And neither this forum or Frameforum.net is as much fun as this one used to be, atmo. I wish they'd come back.

saab2000
07-15-2007, 09:02 AM
No rule says you can't be on both fora.

Both are quality.

bshell
07-15-2007, 11:09 AM
davids,

you hit the nail on the head.

billrick
07-15-2007, 02:37 PM
And neither this forum or Frameforum.net is as much fun as this one used to be, atmo. I wish they'd come back.

Crimminy. I just read those acid threads. (What a waste of a gorgeous afternoon.) I took a few months off from the forum - April and May - and completely missed this. I knew something was different.

:confused:

Grant McLean
07-15-2007, 02:47 PM
cheers

Hey bro,

i've been trying to fight my interweb addiction with some riding obsession.
so far so good.

g

Kevan
07-15-2007, 02:49 PM

and its peoples. It will be again.

Keith A
07-15-2007, 03:06 PM
And neither this forum or Frameforum.net is as much fun as this one used to be, atmo. I wish they'd come back.It would be nice if we could be one big happy family again http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/6.gif

Erik.Lazdins
07-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Post of the Month!

michael white
07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
well you know what they said about Humpty Dumpty . . .

FlaRider
07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I actually think that the quality of this Forum has degenerated substantially since it was at the top of its game a couple of years ago. Many of the best, most thoughtful posters (BigMac, Dave N.) have been driven away. Sad but true.

SoCalSteve
07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I actually think that the quality of this Forum has degenerated substantially since it was at the top of its game a couple of years ago. Many of the best, most thoughtful posters (BigMac, Dave N.) have been driven away. Sad but true.

Why dont we make it great again then!

Its our Forum, lets make it a great place!!!

Steve

Ray
07-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Steve
It's still a great place, but it lost some really valuable contributors. Try as I might, I can't contribute the kind of information and opinions they could and nobody else really is either. Some of it I miss, some I don't. That's the way it goes - there was some real tension, they bailed, and it is what it is. It's still good and in some ways maybe better but it lost something too. No point in trying to pretend it didn't.

Things change, life goes on. It's the new normal!

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
07-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Steve

Amen ... I really miss these guys ....

I'm surprised this here crowd tolerates me ! :D

Unfortunately my knowledge is very limited ...
I contribute little.

vaxn8r
07-15-2007, 06:35 PM
It's still a great place, but it lost some really valuable contributors. Try as I might, I can't contribute the kind of information and opinions they could and nobody else really is either. Some of it I miss, some I don't. That's the way it goes - there was some real tension, they bailed, and it is what it is. It's still good and in some ways maybe better but it lost something too. No point in trying to pretend it didn't.

Things change, life goes on. It's the new normal!

-Ray
Yup. +1

andy mac
07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
on behalf of e-richie i will keep the bode miller love alive.

Smiley
07-15-2007, 07:22 PM
A testament to how great this place is the ability to have perfect strangers show up to participate at Nottrott, Giro del Toga and other events we have had. Everybody left having made a new friend. That's what I am talking about. So a couple of guys deserted and went away BIG deal. I miss Big Mac and Dave Novolesky and others that have moved on but this place is still alive and well.

Far Rider
07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
A testament to how great this place is the ability to have perfect strangers show up to participate at Nottrott, Giro del Toga and other events we have had. Everybody left having made a new friend. That's what I am talking about. So a couple of guys deserted and went away BIG deal. I miss Big Mac and Dave Novolesky and others that have moved on but this place is still alive and well.
+100!!

weisan
07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=101249#post101249)

here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=308683#post308683)

even these cool cats, if you can believe it!

1 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=101248#post101248)

2 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=23169#post23169)

This is the mafia..nobody ever really leaves. :D

shanerpvt
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
the nice thing about the other place is you can talk openly without concern of offending your host. just sayin.

weisan
07-15-2007, 08:08 PM
the nice thing about the other place is you can talk openly without concern of offending your host. just sayin.

That is actually not a nice thing.

Ben Serotta once said to me he visits the forum maybe once or twice a year...and seldom post, if ever.

That shows you how much he cares....put it another way, he sleeps well at night despite whatever sh&T is flying around here.

We can say whatever we want...just make sure we can back it up or hold it up to scrutiny when someone question our positions.

Saying what we want and be willing to stand up and defend what we say are two different things.

The first doesn't require much thinking...the second requires discipline.

Lifelover
07-15-2007, 08:08 PM

I for one feel that I can do that right here. Just saying.

Bud
07-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Saying what we want and be willing to stand up and defend what we say are two different things.

Nicely put, Weisan-pal.

+1

billrick
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I quit reading the forum for two months after my kid was born. When I came back, it was dullsville. And as much as I love you guys, I'm still not feeling it. In part, it is the nature of the blow up and the heavy handed way that some of our friends were treated that casts a cloud over the day. I'm quite surprised by the anger that I am feeling.

Over the past few years, ATMO gave me advice on which pubs to hit in Scotland, the Jerk encouraged me to ride a longer stem (ha ha), and my all time favorite bike, my keep forever daily rider, is a hand-me-down from DBRK. And when Dennis Cotcamp passed away, I felt like I had lost a member of the family. Other than hosting this forum, the Serotta guys have personally done nothing for my love of the sport. They have been generous with this forum, don't get me wrong, but I've never seen them actively engaged in the forum, giving advice or sharing ride reports. (And you can tell me that they are too busy working, but who isn't?) I understand their decision to make this more of a Serotta-specific marketing tool, but I'm left with such a queasy feeling that I doubt I'll ever buy one.

I've lived through multiple flame outs of the BOB list, the recent demise of the Rivendell list, and the destruction of multiple local forums. This forum will live on, but I'm afraid the golden days are over.

Anyway, that is it for my sad rant. Thanks for letting me vent. Y'all can look on the bright side, but this news came as a shock to me today and I'm seriously bummed.

:crap:

thwart
07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Personally, I think it takes a lot of guts to host (pay for and maintain, and moderate to some degree) a Forum where people can ask Serotta vs ********, which one is best? ... and not give a rat's behind what the answer is.

I don't know everything that happened between atmo and obtuse and the Serotta folks, but sometimes (in my experience, anyway) really gifted folks can be a little testy. Yes, they add a lot to the conversation, but the conversation can continue without them as well.

I know that I refer friends here for the frequency of really useful information, and for the relative lack of "insider chatter" I've seen elsewhere. I have a higher regard for Serotta because of this place.

SoCalSteve
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
My ex-father in law (he is a great guy) once said:

There are 3 sides to every story...

My side, your side and the TRUTH

Just sayin'

Steve

A few people left, a few more joined, its still one of the best places on the Internet to discuss bikes, biking and and everything in between. THANK YOU Serotta for giving us a place to do all this and more!!!

mike p
07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
ATMO, DBRK, and the jerk are all class guys. Hope to see them all here again in the future. Just one of those things that got blown out of proportion. The net is replete with misunderstanding as it's so hard to gauge someones intent through a post. I'm sure if it had been dealt with in person it wouldn't have gotten out of hand in the first place. I really miss the humor and wisdom.

Mike

shanerpvt
07-15-2007, 09:37 PM
That is actually not a nice thing.

We can say whatever we want...just make sure we can back it up or hold it up to scrutiny when someone question our positions.

I agree neither place is currently as interesting as this place once was. I, unfortunately, don’t have the knowledge to contribute as much as some of you. I enjoy reading both forums. What I was talking about specifically was the ability for a builder to speak openly about a project without offending their gracious host. I am not speaking of a “heavy hand”, rather the class of the individual that wouldn’t approach certain topics on this forum out of respect for Serotta. I love all bikes, not just Serotta. It is clearly a more open environment. I still enjoy reading posts around this place very much. It’s not “which one is better”. I was merely pointing out a difference.

Thank you to Serotta for hosting this forum!

m_moses
07-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Y'all can look on the bright side, but this news came as a shock to me today and I'm seriously bummed.

:crap:

I was bummed at first. But after a few weeks, I realized that there are still many excellent contributers here. As many as ever IMHO. It's still a great place to hangout.

slowgoing
07-16-2007, 01:35 AM
did someone leave???

SamIAm
07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Why are you guys still talking about this? That is the saddest part. Move on already.

JohnS
07-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Why are you guys still talking about this? That is the saddest part. Move on already.
Because a former major contributor left for a while and now he came back and asked what happened. We are not "sad". We're being informative. Maybe you need to move on?

William
07-16-2007, 07:51 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AGF/8874~Cowboy-and-Sunset-Posters.jpg

Fixed
07-16-2007, 08:54 AM
bro sorry I didn't know but stuff happens .. you know .. I think they still read the forum though . I 've been a fan of serotta since davis phinney was riding . I always will be
imho
cheers

Elefantino
07-16-2007, 09:59 AM
"This board isn't as good as it used to be" is like saying "the Tour isn't as interesting without Lance."

Not worse; different. And, in some ways, better.

When atmo was still posting I had sold all my Serottas. Since he's been gone I've bought a Concours.

I'm just sayin' …

This is in no way meant to reflect on the character or frame-building ability of Richard Sachs. It is merely a coincidence used to make a rather weak point. No offense should be taken. Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of the pictures, descriptions or account of this post is strictly prohibited. Subject to prior sale. Not valid in Minnesota, Virginia, Utah and Guam. No purchase required.

michael white
07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
there's a mix of community which has been lost. Before, what attracted me was that a number of the most incredible framebuilders in the world would come on here and hash it out with terminal bike-lovers like myself. The discussions were obviously as good as it gets. Now the community attracts less of those sorts, which in turn attracts less of those sorts, and what that leaves is mostly just the nutcases like myself.

The "other" forum is less of a mix . . . It's a bit more craft-oriented, less of a design discussion, and at heart it's meant more for the builder, not necessarily just the guy/gal who loves bikes. Anyway, blogs are just blogs, they disappear every day, no real biggie.

mosca
07-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Sometimes I learn more from the "less-informed" members of the forum. Removing some of the 800 pound gorillas from the room has been fine with me. Glad to see Fixed is back, though. :)

Serotta PETE
07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Life is a learning experience and we continue to learn thru our deeds and actions. We hit a few speed bumps along the way but we have upgraded the storage and server capacity of the forum with the provider. This cost extra $$$s and Ben and company gave graciously.

We truly try to keep from managing the posts, unless they are personal attacks on others.

My e-mail is always open to ways of making it better and we still have some wonderful talent on the forum. Steve Hampsten, Curt Goodrich, Tom Kellogg, David Kirk, DBRK, Grant, and many many others....

Yes it would be very nice if the technical content and knowlege of the forum increased....I ask all those who have this knowledge and have been 'bashful" to share it with all of us. We are not against other products, brands, or colour wines.......WE are here to enjoy the sport of bicycling and to share in each others company. As Mr Smiley said we make new friends daily :D :D :D

BUT I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANKS ALL THOSE THAT ARE OFFERING THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE and hopefull I can repay it with some red or some SEROTTA beer.

I for one feel that I can do that right here. Just saying.

Ozz
07-16-2007, 12:50 PM
...some SEROTTA beer.
will this be available thru the new Serotta online store? :beer:

Serotta PETE
07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes but you will be to pick it up at the factory....we can ship the "empties" to you though....

will this be available thru the new Serotta online store? :beer:

Ozz
07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
......we can ship the "empties" to you though....
where's the fun with that?? ;)

Serotta PETE
07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
where's the fun with that?? ;)

naturally with us in SARATOGA :D :D :D :D Come on east or when I come west I will bring some and switch for wine!!! :cool:

Archibald
07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15938

fierte_poser
07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Ever since 'they' left I've been a complete mess. I just sit around and carve RS logos into my calves. I'm a bit emo.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Emo_fashion_kid.png

SamIAm
07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Because a former major contributor left for a while and now he came back and asked what happened. We are not "sad". We're being informative. Maybe you need to move on?

Easy tiger.

Serotta PETE
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Lets go for a wine....I have 6 bottles of great ZIN waiting... :beer:

JohnS
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Easy tiger.
You're the one who made a blanket statement that everyone on the board was "sad" and needed to move on. Don't tell me to take it easy. You're the one who was contentious...

Fixed
07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
sorry bro's I really didn't want to start a war I was just wondering what happened to some of the guys .
cheers

FlaRider
07-16-2007, 06:02 PM
You're the one who made a blanket statement that everyone on the board was "sad" and needed to move on. Don't tell me to take it easy. You're the one who was contentious...

I think the both of you should just kiss and make up. Life's too short to be embroiled in message board "fights."

thwart
07-16-2007, 06:15 PM
sorry bro's I really didn't want to start a war I was just wondering what happened to some of the guys . Well, we're glad you're back... and I think most of us are hoping that the other folks gradually decide, as all the bad feelings fade, to rejoin the Forum as well.

oldguy00
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Not really sure that there is any great discussion missing? Unless having a framebuilder repeatedly post "gets it", "gestault", etc and rarely saying anything of value to help anyone, and a salesperson claiming to be an ex-pro and talking up any brand he sells, is great discussion?
I've learned lots from various posters on this forum, but I learned very little from the missing few. For the record, I do enjoy DBRK's posts, and hope he continues to drop by.

rePhil
07-16-2007, 06:57 PM
ATMO, oldguy00 gets it. Most likely because I didn't fit in with the cool kids lunchtable. In addition to some useful posts there was a lot of "inside" stuff that would have been better handled through pm's.

SoCalSteve
07-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Not really sure that there is any great discussion missing? Unless having a framebuilder repeatedly post "gets it", "gestault", etc and rarely saying anything of value to help anyone, and a salesperson claiming to be an ex-pro and talking up any brand he sells, is great discussion?
I've learned lots from various posters on this forum, but I learned very little from the missing few. For the record, I do enjoy DBRK's posts, and hope he continues to drop by.

Misspoke, I apologize.

Original post retracted.

Thanks,

Steve

SoCalSteve
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
sorry bro's I really didn't want to start a war I was just wondering what happened to some of the guys .
cheers

We are just so happy that you are back!

It was an honest question. Sorry that it turned out to open up some wounds again...

They will close, we will move on and all will be right in the world again.

Steve

Len J
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Post of the month!

Thank you for the "clarity".

Steve

all over again. :crap: :crap:

Len

Grant McLean
07-16-2007, 08:15 PM

So what exactly do you want, another Analects of Confucius?

g

taz-t
07-16-2007, 09:56 PM
ATMO, oldguy00 gets it. Most likely because I didn't fit in with the cool kids lunchtable. In addition to some useful posts there was a lot of "inside" stuff that would have been better handled through pm's.

ATMO huh? you diss the cool kids but use their lingo?

much ado about nothing at this point.

- taz

bostondrunk
07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
ATMO huh? you diss the cool kids but use their lingo?

I'm guessing he meant it in jest. Like if I were to say how much I'd like to plunk down 3k for a steel frameset that will be ready in 3 years.

:rolleyes: ;)

Keith A
07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Can we please stop this :argue: Isn't their enough contention in this world already?

Elefantino
07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Can we please stop this :argue: Isn't there enough contention in this world already?
No.

You got a problem with that?

:D

rePhil
07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Of course it was meant in jest. I don't have an unkind word to say about any fellow forum member, really.
I don't always agree, but who does?
I am a fan of RS. He has built his brand, and fromwhat I read works very hard at it.

Serotta PETE
07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
We are getting in the "attack" mode again. Can we please stop.

Also, while Mr Sachs (atmo) is not here nor is Obtuse, can we please stop taking jabs in the various ways at them. While someone started this thread in memory on some very nice and great contributors to the forum, it has really gone down hill from there.

Please lets close this thread. THANKS

cadence90
07-17-2007, 03:33 PM
This is all so incredibly boring.

If those guys don't care that they're here, why should anyone else?

Live and let (threads about absent for whatever reason posters who may or may not eventually return) die.

William
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey! I'm Happy!!!

"yeah"

http://www.break-fresh-ground.com/photos/785/673/18/26979.jpg

C'mon people. You Can Be Happy Too!!

http://www.thehappyguy.com/HappyDuck.gif

Ok, you made me do this. I'm breaking out the Big Guns....

http://www.laudercompany.com/orderonline/images/norwood/4155.jpg

There! now I know you're all EFFIN Happy!!! :butt:

William :D

rwsaunders
07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
OK William. Now that Puppy calendar has me steaming.

Ray
07-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Mr Sachs (atmo) is not here
Just for the record, Mr. Sachs is still hanging out pretty regularly. This one just doesn't build or know all that much about frames, but I'll keep the initials alive in case Richard ever comes around this way again.

-Ray

Keith A
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey William...I think Bob is happy too :D

http://www.jasonbentley.org/blog/img/enzyte1.jpg