PDA

View Full Version : out of uniform

Fixed
07-13-2007, 10:46 PM
bro just wondering if any of you cats ever ride in street clothes ?. vans t shirt and shorts and hat sunglasses , works for me maybe a mess. bag and you are good to go ..stores restaurant ...now riding with a take -out pizza that is tricky .I 'm out of shape..... I don't at all feel like putting a kit on right now .
cheers

vaxn8r
07-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, long cotton shorts, t-shirt. Messenger bag depending on errands. But I'm still a geek. Wear a helmet and sometimes mountain shoes because it's easier than fooling with pedals and I can still walk around OK.

Ray
07-14-2007, 06:05 AM
I haven't been "riding" lately because we've been preoccupied with moving out of the house we've lived in for 15 years and getting it ready to sell (and into a smaller townhome) and because of a minor physical problem that isn't minor when I'm sitting on a bicycle seat. So all of my riding for the past month or so has been cruising around town doing errands. All street clothes, all the time. Yer basic shorts and a t-shirt. SPD sandals and messenger bag when I'm on my fixie. Tevas and the front basket when I'm on my town bike. Haven't been in bike clothes since very early June, I think. I wouldn't want to ride any long distance without at least bike shorts, but for this kind of stuff, bike clothes would just be stupid.

-Ray

gone
07-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I use my fixed gear for errands around town: shorts, SPD sandals or shoes depending on time of year, tshirt, helmet and mess. bag. I generally don't do the "500 bag" grocery store trip in the car where you shop for 6 months. I prefer to go daily and pick up a few things. The bike is perfect for that and it's only a 6 mile round trip.

djg
07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, I don't really associate wearing cycling clothes with a certain level of form. Cycling clothes are just more comfortable for cycling and if I'm riding for more than a few miles, cycling clothes are what I want. OTOH, if it's just a mile or so to the store or coffee shop or some other short errand, I'm likely to wear normal clothes -- plenty comfortable for a real short ride and plenty preferable once I'm actually in the store or coffee shop. There are intermediate cases too -- if I think I'm going to be pulling a kid trailer for 45 minutes, I'll grab cycling shoes because they work with my pedals, and maybe cycling shorts, but not worry about the full kit deal.

For groceries, I'll pick up a few things on the bike, but with three kids at home, we do some big provisioning expeditions too, and the big trips to the Costco get a motorized vehicle. And for those errands, I definitely leave the cycling clothes at home (in favor of street clothes, that is).

But, you know, you should wear what you want fixed.

MarleyMon
07-14-2007, 08:32 AM
I run errands in street clothes all the time. I've found I'm more likely to hop on the bike for medium trips since I put flat pedals on the Miyata.
I have a couple pair of baggie mtb shorts I wear if its real hot & humid.

old_school
07-14-2007, 08:55 AM
I ride a lot in street clothes: to and from work, afternoon breaks etc - cargo shorts, t-shirts, and sandals are the preferred attire. Sometimes, I think that I enjoy riding this way more than in traditional cycling gear. Given that my body has more twists than a roller coaster, being locked in at the feet prompts me to concentrate more on form and technique. Cruising casually, my head is free to simply enjoy the ride.

Ken Robb
07-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I ride that way often. An interesting observation: I get a lot more respect and consideration from drivers when I wear "normal" clothes like them. My guess is that what really annoys some drivers is when we are all kitted out in cycling clothes and especially when we ride in groups we seem to be "playing in traffic" rather than going somewhere. I guess it's the equivalent of playing stickball and not stopping for cars?

I think it's great to have at least one bike with flat pedals and a saddle that's comfy without padded shorts. That way I can just jump on and go for a short fun ride or use it for errands when I don't want to take the time to put on cycling duds.

William
07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Riding with the kids I'll just grab my Cross shoes, gloves and helmet. Then what ever I'm wearing, shorts & a T or polo. If I'm riding with just my son and heading further out I'll put on the kit. He'll also have his Sponge Bob jersey, shorts, gloves and helmet so he's got it going on too. :cool:

William

m_moses
07-15-2007, 03:56 AM
My daughters are in town for their annual summer visit and we're out on the bikes every afternoon tooling around the neighborhood. I wear shorts or jeans with a t-shirt. My single speed has regular pedals so any shoes will do.

I make them wear their helmets though they protest. Girls their age worry about helmet hair.

old_school
07-15-2007, 07:08 AM
I make them wear their helmets though they protest. Girls their age worry about helmet hair.

Tell your daughters, if they think helmet hair looks bad, they should have seen my head in the emergency room last weekend - that was ugly (head cracked open to the skull, punctured artery, 38 stitches ...) :crap:

Oh, and I was just going down the street, and I wasn't going fast ... :no:

Fat Robert
07-15-2007, 12:27 PM
i'm on the fence

my daily getup this summer has been baggy mtb shorts, a t-shirt and R7s for my fixed gear...carry some sandals in my bag....

Kevan
07-15-2007, 02:16 PM
I screwed a pair of mks pedals (everyone should have a pair for the ready) on the beater, jumped aboard wearing cargos, a polo, and sandals and rode 2 miles to the next town in time catch the tail end of a music festival. Heck, I didn't even touch up the air pressure on the tires. I snuck in the rear gate.

Kinda reminds me of my riding when I was a kid.

Fixed
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
bro that is what i like the feeling of riding your bike as a kid
have some fun it seems to get harder to have as we get older .imho
cheers

m_moses
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Tell your daughters, if they think helmet hair looks bad, they should have seen my head in the emergency room last weekend - that was ugly (head cracked open to the skull, punctured artery, 38 stitches ...) :crap:

Oh, and I was just going down the street, and I wasn't going fast ... :no:

Excellent point and I will tell them. Hope you're feeling better. May I ask what happened?

Kevan
07-15-2007, 03:19 PM
bro that is what i like the feeling of riding your bike as a kid
have some fun it seems to get harder to have as we get older .imho
cheers

I took my sweet time getting there.

Whether dressed in lycra, commuting to work, or being beatin' by the pack, I try to smile. Because that's what kids do.

shoe
07-16-2007, 10:44 AM
shimano mountain pedal...works great with a cycling shoe...sneakers...flip flops.......under twenty miles- errands -breakfast....flip flops are good to go. i like riding in gear and out..just a different feel and a different way to enjoy your bike....love to pedal someone down wearing shorts and flip flops gotta admit....plus wearing a mountain shoe sometimes early in the morning i like to walk along the boardwalk and check out the sea....and to remember that i can use my legs in a different way....dave...nice to see ya back around fixed