PDA

View Full Version : Mixing C-Record Rear Derailleur w/ 9spd Ergos

weaponsgrade
07-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Has anyone ever tried using a C-Record rear derailleur with 9speed Ergos? Does it work?

Hardlyrob
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't see why it shouldn't work. The rear der is the "dumb" part of the system. Keep in mind that the C-record was designed for wider 6/7/8 speed chains. Don't know if that would be a problem, but it might be in terms of getting the chain to align correctly each time. Gotta love those pulleys with the ADJUSTABLE ball bearings - ridiculous!

I have the C-Record on my mid-80's time capsule bike. With friction shifters and a Regina Extra FW, it is the smoothest shifting bike I've ever ridden.

Let us know how it works.

Rob

weaponsgrade
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't see why it shouldn't work. The rear der is the "dumb" part of the system. Keep in mind that the C-record was designed for wider 6/7/8 speed chains. Don't know if that would be a problem, but it might be in terms of getting the chain to align correctly each time. Gotta love those pulleys with the ADJUSTABLE ball bearings - ridiculous!

I have the C-Record on my mid-80's time capsule bike. With friction shifters and a Regina Extra FW, it is the smoothest shifting bike I've ever ridden.

Let us know how it works.

Rob

I'm going to try it. One thing I found out is that a casing with a ferrule on it doesn't fit into the der. Looks like I'll have to run it w/o the ferrule, file the ferrule down or drill out the der hole.

Hardlyrob
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't use a ferrule on the rear der cable housing as it enters the der. Need a step down ferrule for the chain stay cable stop though. Mine has been just fine over about 1,000 miles - mostly winter riding.

Good luck!