PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Tubular Tire Advice

NateM
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I have been using Vittoria CX 22mm tubulars for years on a set of Zipp 303's. I want to run a larger tire,24/25mm.I was hoping for some reviews from this list of tubulars that I'm considering.Recreational/sport riding/3 season (no winter)
Dugast Paris Roubaix cotton 25mm
Conti GP 4000 25mm
Veloflex Roubaix 24mm
Vittoria Pave EVO 24mm

Thanks,NateMerrill

sspielman
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
The Dugasts of today are way inferior to the ones of a few years ago when the old man ran the company...The Veloflex Roubaix is a great tire...sort of like a fat Clement Criterium (or a skinny Paris Roubaix depending on your viewpoint)...except even better in quality. It is hard to beat Veloflex, which is why I consider them to be the king of tubulars....

Too Tall
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
First I want to say how you've impressed me as an unusually intelligent and probably best looking person in the room...at this moment ;) COULDN'T have anything to do with the fact your ride tubulars? nahhhh ;)

The continental 25s are super nice. I really like this generation of tyres. These wear like iron. Def. not the most supple tyre of that size I've used however by far and away the MOST durable and that's not to say they are harsh...not! Fiddle with tyre pressure and you'll get that "nice ride" you like.

Have not used the Veloflex 25's and I'd bet they are as fine as their crits. That's a no brainer.

Friends don't let friends ride GAWD AWFUL clinchers

FlaRider
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
First I want to say how you've impressed me as an unusually intelligent and probably best looking person in the room...at this moment ;) COULDN'T have anything to do with the fact your ride tubulars? nahhhh ;)

The continental 25s are super nice. I really like this generation of tyres. These wear like iron. Def. not the most supple tyre of that size I've used however by far and away the MOST durable and that's not to say they are harsh...not! Fiddle with tyre pressure and you'll get that "nice ride" you like.

Have not used the Veloflex 25's and I'd bet they are as fine as their crits. That's a no brainer.

Friends don't let friends ride GAWD AWFUL clinchers

Hey, TT - what's your opinion of the current generation of Conti Sprinters (22mm) as an everyday training tire? Thanks.

djg
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I've used both the Veloflex Roubaix tires (24) and the Vittoria Evo Pave. I like the Vittorias -- nice tires, reasonably supple and reasonably light, good grip, and mine have held up very well. I love the Veloflex Roubaix -- not as long lived (at least not on my very small ad hoc sampling) as the Vittorias, but really just sweet tires and the nicest things I've tried at that size -- great.

Too Tall
07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey, TT - what's your opinion of the current generation of Conti Sprinters (22mm) as an everyday training tire? Thanks.

Bellissimo :) Can't go wrong. Wonderful everyday tyre. If you ask SaabK he'll say the same about Veloflex Crits/Carbons...he milks all kinds of miles out of those nice tyres.

In an act of world class generosity BuGsPlAtBuddAhBob gave me his secret stash of Vittoria CX tubulars so I may have some insight soon'ish. Ohhh that Bob's a good one :)