PDA

View Full Version : Northwave shoes

rpm
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Does anybody have feedback on Northwave shoes? I have wide feet and orthotics and am considering them. I'm also interested in how far you can get the cleats back on them. I've looked at Sidi Megas, but they won't allow me to get my cleats as far back as my current Carnacs.

gdw
07-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I haven't used Northwaves but the models I've tried on in a shops were too narrow. I have EE-EEE feet and used Sidi Mega's for years. They were acceptable for 6-7 hours but really painfull on longer rides or in hot weather when your feet swell. I'd advise that you check out Lake if you can find them. They are the the only shoe company I've found that offers several models for those of us with wide feet and the only one who has EE width.
http://www.lakecycling.com/category.aspx?categoryid=28
What pedal system are you using?

sspielman
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I have heard rumours that Carnac is back to their original wide widths as of this season....Of course, they ran themselves into the ground by screwing with their fit over the past several years, so nobody is stocking them anymore...so I haven't been able to confirm the current fit....

rpm
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I haven't used Northwaves but the models I've tried on in a shops were too narrow. I have EE-EEE feet and used Sidi Mega's for years. They were acceptable for 6-7 hours but really painfull on longer rides or in hot weather when your feet swell. I'd advise that you check out Lake if you can find them. They are the the only shoe company I've found that offers several models for those of us with wide feet and the only one who has EE width.
http://www.lakecycling.com/category.aspx?categoryid=28
What pedal system are you using?

That's interesting. Glory Cycles says that Northwaves are the widest shoes around, which is why I got interested in them:

http://www.glorycycles.com/northwave.html

I haven't been able to find my size in a local shop to try on. I'm also acquainted with the Lakes, and in fact have a pair of their lower-end shoes. They're OK, but I can't get the cleats as far back as with my old Carnacs and I don't feel as efficient with them.

gdw
07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I tried several pairs of their MTB shoes and would have had to buy them at least a size too big to get the correct width. Maybe they have changed.

Are you running the cleats way back to relieve the pressure on the ball or widest part of your foot? I ask because that's what I had to do to eliminate or minimize hot foot with Sidi Mega's and several other brands.

rpm
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I run the cleats way back because I have big feet and a very long instep and I ride better when I get more of the foot over the pedal.

tch
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Evolution (Revolution?) about 3 years ago. No matter what I did, they hurt like hell after about an hour. Initial fit was fine; they were well-made...... but I NEVER got a comfortable ride out of them. They hurt under the ball of the foot: why I don't know. I have wide, duck-style feet, and interestingly my previous shoes, DMT, which are supposed to be narrow, were fine. Now I have a pair of Specialized Carbons and find them really comfortable also -- a lot more volume than the DMT's generally, but very comfortable.

I still have the Northwaves in really pretty lightly-used condition. Size 42. I would give them to someone who likes them for the cost of the shipping.

djg
07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Evolution (Revolution?) about 3 years ago. No matter what I did, they hurt like hell after about an hour. Initial fit was fine; they were well-made...... but I NEVER got a comfortable ride out of them. They hurt under the ball of the foot: why I don't know. I have wide, duck-style feet, and interestingly my previous shoes, DMT, which are supposed to be narrow, were fine. Now I have a pair of Specialized Carbons and find them really comfortable also -- a lot more volume than the DMT's generally, but very comfortable.

I still have the Northwaves in really pretty lightly-used condition. Size 42. I would give them to someone who likes them for the cost of the shipping.

If you're serious, I'll try 'em--should fit me (send me a pm on details).

Jack Brunk
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I've been using a pair of the pro aerators and they have been great. Plenty of toe room and a very stiff sole. Their sizing is a little weird but that's not a big deal. The vents on the shoe are well placed and you can really feel the air flow through the shoes. This has really cut down on my feet getting wet from sweat. I would buy a second set without question.

JB

cadence90
07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
That's interesting. Glory Cycles says that Northwaves are the widest shoes around, which is why I got interested in them:

That is very strange indeed.
The last time I shopped for shoes (2 years ago; in LA at Helen's, Bicycle John's, TriZombies, etc.) the consensus (and my own experience) was that Northwave were among the narrowest.

IIRC, in terms of width the order of the ones I tried was:
Sidi Mega, Carnac, Adidas (the ones with those wire straps), Sidi Regular, Pearl Izumi, DMT, Northwave.
DMT might have been the narrowest.
I love the Carnac M5 I bought: perfect fit.

SWorks4me
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Glory Cycles says that Northwaves are the widest shoes around, which is why I got interested in them:

The widest around Italy? These are manufactured on European lasts. I would be surprised that unless they specify a width size, they are anymore wide than an American manufacturer.

rpm
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I've been using a pair of the pro aerators and they have been great. Plenty of toe room and a very stiff sole. Their sizing is a little weird but that's not a big deal. The vents on the shoe are well placed and you can really feel the air flow through the shoes. This has really cut down on my feet getting wet from sweat. I would buy a second set without question.

JB

Jack-- How wide are your feet?

Jack Brunk
07-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Wide enough to really like the shoe. I think I'm an E plus. There's more foot room in the Northwave's than Sidi's at least for me and the Northwave's have a stiffer sole.

Polyglot
07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
I have very narrow feet with big toes that point up, so I am hard to fit. The Northwave have without doubt the highest toe box. This suits my toes perfectly. They are however exceedingly wide for me. Much wider than anything else from Italy. I cannot get the low end Northwave shoes to fit my narrow feet even when at the tighest setting. The Aerators on the other hand are perfect on the very tightest ratchet click. They are incredibly well-ventilated and the sole very stiff with the advantage of a cork insole. They are far superior to the Sidi, DMT and other shoes that I have used previously.

djg
07-13-2007, 05:10 AM
So, if you're not able to try these on, with your orthotics, in the LBS, you might try ordering from a mail order place with a liberal return policy. Performance seems to be getting out of the line, but still has some in their clearance list, cheap. If they don't fit, you get your money back (even if you use them a bit, which is unheard of, and something you cannot fairly expect of your LBS). I think Sierra Trading Post had Northwave aerators on sale too.

gdw
07-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Sierra Trading Post has them at a great price and has a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy so you can return them if they don't fit.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=96218&cdf=TopSeller