PDA

View Full Version : New wheels: first ride

mcteague
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
My Joe Young wheels came (DT 240S hubs, RR 1.1 rims and Super Comp spokes) and the first ride was notable. The DT tech rep said Velox 11mm rim tape worked fine but I thought it was too narrow and just barely covered the holes. So I pulled the Hutchinson plastic strips out of an old set of wheels as they seemed in good shape.

So, after work I start out on a quick test ride in 95 degree heat and high humidity. The wheels feel nice, smooth and light. Five miles into the ride the front tire goes flat. I quickly throw in a spare tube, pump it up and ride off. About 100 ft down the road the rear goes flat. As I have to patch this one I pump it up to find the hole but traffic noise is so loud I can't hear air escaping and find it difficult to feel it either. Many repeated fillings finally reveal the hole. I decide to use some Park glueless patches I have just to get back on the road. Well, that lasts about 30 seconds. I start to patch tube #2 the regular way only to find the glue tube dry. Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

By now sweat is dripping onto everything I touch making this process that much harder. As I am late for dinner I decide to call home and ask for a ride. Of course Nan is working in the garden and does not hear the phone. So, I try a Park patch on this tube and am more careful to clean up the tube and avoid the copious amounts of sweat flowing everywhere. This patch holds and I gingerly ride home with a bit less air pressure than before.

What a fun test ride. When I get home I check the rim and find no rough spots and the rim tape is unbroken. Both tubes have holes on the part of the tube facing the rim. I go to the LBS and pick up 17mm Velox rim tape and will try again tomorrow. Such a fun sport!

Tim McTeague

Fixed
07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
i think you got the fix
cheers