PDA

View Full Version : OT:OT: a friend's teva sandals stink...

eddief
07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
so i have a friend...who wears tevas all the time. he likes them because they are so comfortable, but i swear you can smell them a mile away.

i know this subject does not match the general intellectual quality of some other posts, but he can't be the only one who has this teva experience.

you know i'd not be reluctant to tell him about the offensive odor, but what can be done for all those poor teva wearers?

Steve Hampsten
07-11-2007, 03:01 PM
throw

them

away

fiamme red
07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
http://travelvice.com/archive/2006/02/open-letter-to-teva.php

William
07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Talk him into getting you into a headlock. When he locks on and has your head at his hip, just remark: "Damn your Tevas stink" as you reach up and grab him by the nads (aka:steal the peach). He'll let you go with a nervous laugh....then get rid of anything associated with the experience (Tevas included).

Don't worry, it doesn't mean you're going to Provo.....maybe just facing in that direction.

:D :p ;) ;)

William

TimB
07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I had to share an office in grad school with this guy who wore these stinky shoes every day. There was a partition that went most of the way across the room but there were times I had to leave and go to the library to do my work it was so bad.

And riding in the elevator with him was torture.

Ginger
07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
There's no hope for the tevas I think they coat the inner sole with the scrapings from the floor of a slaughterhouse.

They must be thrown out. Immediately.

I switched to a pair of Born sandals...leather...and they don't stink...

lemonlaug
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I've had success with a nice baking soda scrub on the rubber footbed of my Chaco sandals. I've also heard people say that you can put them in the freezer for a while, which will wipe out the stinky bacteria causing your problem.

I've heard that microwaving sponges is an effective way of sterilizing them; however, I've also heard that they can catch on fire during the process. My lawyer is advising me not to advise you to try this on your friends' sandals.

Barring that: Toss em and go for the aforementioned Chacos. I wore mine every day above 45 Fahren. for about 6 years. Had them resoled once, and by the time I retired them I'd worn out the straps, footbed, and soles (again). I'm on my second pair now. The rubber footbed is far easier to clean than the softer style on some Tevas.

justinf
07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Foul. Coerce an attractive person of the appropriate gender to tell him he stinks like hell and that his shoes should be burned.

Geoff
07-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I had the same problem with every pair of tevas I owned. I had to throw them away no amount of washing seemed to help. I now have Chacos which are not only more comfortable, more durable, but I have not a hint of oder and they are about three years old.

Chacos rock the sandal world.

G

Ginger
07-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Foul. Coerce an attractive person of the appropriate gender to tell him he stinks like hell and that his shoes should be burned.
You're a cruel man Justin.

Marburg
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Yup. My wife's Tevas stank, yo. We tried all sorts of household chemistry (vinegar, baking soda, etc) to no effect. Eventually we pitched 'em and replaced em.

Steelhead
07-11-2007, 03:37 PM
throw

them

away

and then go buy some Chaco's. You'll forget all about Tevas and can thank me later. :D

bozman
07-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I used to take my Tevas for a swim periodically in a pool. The chlorine helped kill the odor. I finally threw them away and bought Chacos.

The Chacos have been through the dishwasher a time or two. That also works.

Louis
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
The Chacos have been through the dishwasher a time or two. That also works.

Eeeewwwwwww. :no:

I'd rather live with the stink ...

rwsaunders
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I wonder if Pedro's can make saddle bags from the old Tevas?

Smiley
07-12-2007, 02:19 AM
I had the same problem with every pair of tevas I owned. I had to throw them away no amount of washing seemed to help. I now have Chacos which are not only more comfortable, more durable, but I have not a hint of oder and they are about three years old.

Chacos rock the sandal world.

G
+1 for Chacos

92degrees
07-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Keens. No smell. Mo comfy.

weiwentg
07-12-2007, 06:03 AM
my Oakleys developed a stink once ... I put them in the freezer overnight. that worked too. and didn't mess up the dishwasher.

William
07-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Spray them with the odor removing enzymes that are used to elimate urine odors from pets marking the house.

and/or....

Throw them in the washer and add a half cup of Simple Green.

William

MadRocketSci
07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
this thread is making me hungry....i'm in the mood for a greek salad, xtra feta.

Fixed
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
some people say that about cyclist
cheers