PDA

View Full Version : Went for a ride this weekend

BoulderGeek
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Saturday:

Train to St. Jean de Maurienne, 10Euros, 1 hour.
Arrive to find 2000 riders there doing La Marmotte. Since it was 100Euro to enter, I decided not to. But, that didn't stop me from integrating with the schmenges and eating their pit stop food. I was a bit of a bastard, and showed remarkable freshness up the Télégraphe (since they had 40 or 50 miles under their belt when we started, and I had about ten). Got to Valloire, met the proprietors of the Relais du Galibier, offloaded my stuff, and headed back out for the Galibier before dinner.

Galibier: 2 hours. Upon returning back, Paul, owner of the hotel, asked me how long I took. "Deux heures," I replied. "Les professionnels," he said, holding out three fingers. "Les professionnels: trente-cinq minutes." 35. Going up, after doing 60 miles of race pace. Ugh. It took me that long to descend.

Sunday morning: petite dejuner with French people. Load out. Hit the road pointed toward the Galibier again at 9:30AM.

9:35AM: the rain begins. Get used to it; it's gonna be a long day.

Feeling the legs from yesterday. The summit doesn't come as easily today. But, I still do it in two hours. 3500 vertical, 17Km.

Descend for an hour and a half. Pause for photos, pee breaks and to warm up. 3PM: arrive in Bourg d'Oisans.

It's lightly raining, I'm about hypothermic, and I want a hot shower. The hairball tunnels down from La Grave had me pretty weary and freaked out. Above about 40MPH, I kept getting these weird thoughts of hitting a pothole and how long would it take my cheapie radial-spoked FSA front wheel to collapse, throwing my front teeth to the pavement like "American History X." About this time, I usually grabbed some brake.

So, anyway, there I am at the base of Alpe d'Huez, and I want hot cocoa, a blankie and a nice plush sofa. "Just ride up to the first turn sign," I think. Turn 21 sign looms. Then the sun comes out. Too late to wuss out. Strip off the arm warmers and start to climb.

Then it's just a blur of intermittent pain, fatigue, heat, cold, rain, sorrow, self doubt and thinking it's too late to quit and I need to press on.

It rained at the top. I looked around, had a beer, and then dropped back to Bourg d'Oisans. Only to find out that B d'O doesn't have an SNCF train station! Ugh. Autobus to Grenoble for me, smelling, wet and stuck in spandex. I changed into street clothes on the street in Grenoble, didn't care.

Anyway, that was my weekend. Only 60-65 miles or so, but 11000 feet of climbing, 44MPH top speed, no flats (some people had 5 during the Marmotte). Two sandwiches, one liter of beer, one lamb chop dinner with fromage course, two espressos, and lots of pain. Saw two Ferraris, dozens of Ducatis and BMWs, five $100,000 Shelby Cobras from Switzerland, getting 5MPG while gas costs $9 four four litres.

Bud
07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Sweet weekend and report, dude! Thanks for the update and drink one for me.

mosca
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Beautiful. Jealous.

and if you find any noteworthy French beers, please let me know!

BoulderGeek
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm too busy enjoying the 5Euro Bordeaux, .80E baguettes and lovely artisinal cheeses.

For beer, I am drinking Leffe Blond from Belgium, and Duvel. And missing my home pression system with Avery IPA and Mountain Sun FYIPA.

Oh, and back on cycling: I should have switched over to a triple. The 39.32 works great when it is just me in the mountains. But add any luggage, and the weight becomes unbearable. I had 15lbs in the trunk pack for three days of travel, and it was a nasty burden. I can't imagine what it will be like with panniers and a double.

chuckred
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
That's some serious climbing! Averages to 6% - Lookout mountain is about 5 miles and about 5.7% avg - hard to imagine doing that 7 times in a row (I sometimes do 3 x repeats of it, and that's brutal!).

Not to mention - beautiful scenery and sounds like you're enjoying all the right things!

BoulderGeek
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I got the 11,000 figure and distance from the GPS. Note that it was in two days, as well. Two 6000 foot days isn't too bad. Just across Aspen mountain twice.

No idea about the total average incline. To me it seemed like the top half of Lefthand, for three times as long.

There was a lot of human carnage. Many sets of Look cleats were worn down by walking, as owners pushed Merckx AXes and Colnago C-50s up to the top.

I was surprised I could do the Télégraphe and Galibier in one push (I did stop for dried fruits and some euro gatorade stuff). The difference from Elephant Rock food: here in France, they have huge boxes of baguette and brie for your cycling fuel. *Note: I did see a lot of hurlage as the climbing got rough. No pix of that, thankfully.

davep
07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
A couple years ago I stayed in La Grave for a week, watched a little TdF and rode the same rides you did. Probably the best riding I have ever done. I am envious! Beautiful photos too.

Kevan
07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm still basking in your weekend. Very nice....

BoulderGeek
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm an attention wh0re, so I am going to bump my own thread.

I'm envious, Dave, I would love to spend a week in La Grave. It remains one of my favorite ski villages, and I would really enjoy a season there.

This weekend, I am looking at going to Bourg St. Maurice, and basing there for the Tour on Sunday.