PDA

View Full Version : Pro Cycling or Cyclesport??

bostondrunk
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
If I'm gonna treat myself to a subscription, which is a better mag?

sspielman
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Bicisport...or Ciclismo a Fondo

bostondrunk
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh, and what about Cycling Plus?

swissguy
07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I subscribe to both mags and like them both. Procycling may be a bit more equipment-oriented, while Cyclesport has a good "Retro" (history) section. They tend to complement each other and will not often have the same content, unless there's a big story. One month I might prefer one, and the next the other. Try to get your hands on some copies at a library or bike shop before deciding.

dbrk
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Forget bike mags, none of them are worth the important information about the good life you can find in your own home town.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/

cheers, dbrk

P.S. Personal favorite bike mags:
Rivendell Reader
The Boneshaker
Nothing about Planing, a new magazine about bikes that don't plane

Longdaddy
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Either way you'll save money vs. the typical 7.95-9.95 you may pay at B&N, etc. Cyclesport usually offers a "free" DVD with a subscription. I believe Grahm Watson is the main Photog for CS, but PC has a lot of great pics, too.

Both good mags, IMHO.

Simon Q
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Ride magazine is far and away my favourite. Beautifully produced, lots of product reviews, interviews. The only mag I bother keeping and keep going back to. However, it does have a slight Australian bias...

http://www.isubscribe.com.au/title_info.cfm?prodID=16400

neverraced
07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Pro Cycling is edited by morons. The January 2007 issue had Armstrong on the cover. Armstrong! 2007! Articles end on jump pages that don't exist. Proofreading, even spellchecking is unknown. The graphics are terrible, their only advantage is that they make the illiterate writing illegible. One of the worst specialty magazines I've ever read, bad even by sports journalism's low standards.

pdxmech13
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I vote for velonews

Steve Hampsten
07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Pro Cycling is edited by morons. The January 2007 issue had Armstrong on the cover. Armstrong! 2007! Articles end on jump pages that don't exist. Proofreading, even spellchecking is unknown. The graphics are terrible, their only advantage is that they make the illiterate writing illegible. One of the worst specialty magazines I've ever read, bad even by sports journalism's low standards.

yes, but other than that - it's pretty good, right?

oy vey

why is it so hard for bike mags to either be good or make sense?

(i want the harold ross new yorker with bicycle content by dr. brooks

is that asking so much?)

Polyglot
07-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Personal favorite bike mag:

Where do you find this mag? :beer:

All the nonsense that has been written about bikes that plane is so ludicrous that it is about time that somebody come out with something to counter it. :D

Louis
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
i want the harold ross new yorker with bicycle content by dr. brooks

Edited by JS?

PeterW
07-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Come on, dbrk. What Jan has done with (V)BQ is nothing short of amazing. I even dig that he blazes his own trail (low trail in his case) with his DIY experiments and quasi-academic footnotes. His velophile fanzine is a highlight of the magazine world.

(And unlike Grant's unfortunate attempt (to say it nicely) to interview Giles Berthoud in the RR, Jan knows how to respectfully interview folks who speak other languages).

Not knocking the Reader, which is certainly a keeper.

Also, both Cyclesport and ProCycling both have published outstanding issues, like their annual classics issues and respectful nods to vintage stuff. Both can be way superior to Velonews. None of the three are worth collecting, by the way, but great for airports, beach, restroom, etc.

Folks rave about Cycling Plus, but after you get over the Britishness, it is not that much better than Bicycling. Dare I say it? Bicycling is getting better these days (as long as you skip all equipment reviews and diets).

Of course, the best bike-zine is AtoB, out of southwest England. Yes, its focus is foldables and electric bikes, but its voice, vision, and humor are spot on. I regularly reread my collection of those, from start to finish.

Fat Robert
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
The American Poetry Review

or

Hustler

bobscott
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry for continuing the thread drifting.
But....I'll also defend BQ although it does have fixations on low trail steering geometry and bicycles behaving like boats.
Even when I don't agree with an article, they are at the very least interesting and provoke some thought and quite frequently some new understanding. I challenge you to name another bike mag which approaches this.
The bicycle community is very lucky to have Jan Heine poking and prodding us to look at things differently.
bobscott

bostondrunk
07-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I vote for velonews

You're drunk again, right??!

Chris
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Road

neverraced
07-13-2007, 06:07 PM
The August 2007 copy arrived today...and Lance is on the cover again!
Along with Andy Schleck, "THE NEXT LANCE"
And 4 Lance Armstrong color postcards!
Hey Kids! Collect 'em all!

Dear Editors of ProCycling:

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. Your most recent issue is in front of me. Soon it will be behind me.

Yours truly,

Samster
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
"bicycling." the "people" of the two-wheeled world. i swear by it. ymmv.

rounder
07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I vote for velonews

yeah...me too. velonews

rounder
07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Magazines are cheap. People pay $50+ for waterbottle cages. I would say buy whatever you are interested in to stay informed and cancel what you don't like. fwiw.