PDA

View Full Version : Tour 2004 Postal Team

alembical
06-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Just wanted to hear others thoughts about this year's Postal team, namely the non-selection of Victor Hugo Pena.

This press release talks about the team, http://www.thepaceline.com/newsitem.aspx?cid=214 of Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Viatcheslav Ekimov, Pavel Padrnos, Jose Azevedo, Manuel Beltran, Jose Luis Rubiera and Benjamin Noval. I was kind of shocked considernig the effort Victor put in last year and the fact that he was even the yellow jersey wearer for a short stint last year. Also missing is Benoit Joachim who has ridden well for the Posties in a couple of tours. I am just not so sure that now is the time for changes within the ranks; granted that Padrnos and Noval are both strong riders. Just curious of others opinions I guess.

Alembical

Edited to add Lance Armstrong's name to the team list.

Sandy
06-22-2004, 05:28 PM
This post is not directly related to the initial post:

What seems a little surprising to me is that your list did not include Lance Armstrong. I sort of thought he was a pretty decent rider. It is a shame that he didn't make the team.

So Super Smart Serotta Sandy

TmcDet
06-22-2004, 05:33 PM
I thought it was cool when had the yellow last yr. Bruyneel says that he was skipped over to balance the team, you also have to think that it makes the team stronger than the team that they had last yr. It is an interesting decision, hope it isn't one that they regret later.

alembical
06-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Sandy, Lance was skipped over because he is too old and out of shape.

gt6267a
06-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Sandy, Lance was skipped over because he is too old and out of shape.

is lance their strongest rider? i mean, he is old and he got his ass kicked in that TT at the dahphine. i think postal should ride throw in the towel and ride for tyler.

Moveitfred
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Over the last few years these postal cats seem to have redefined the notion of a team at the tour. They seem to know what they're doing, that's for sure. Pena obviously didn't fit with the strategy this time around.

Keith A
06-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Good to see Eki is still in there -- 38 and still plays an important role on the TdF team. I wonder if this will be his last season?

Climb01742
06-23-2004, 09:45 AM
eki always seems to ride right next to lance. i wonder if he's the "enforcer"? by dent of his experience, skill and respect in the peleton, maybe he helps keep lance out of trouble. a bet few riders would mess with eki.

bostondrunk
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
What happend to Michael Barrie>!!>!>!?!?!?!

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2004, 10:02 AM
. . . and the absence of Joachim and Pena--despite their fitness and past loyalty-- only underscores what has been mentioned quite a few times--this team exists with only one priority. The other riders are there to support Lance's glory, not to get any of their own. Think back to last year, with Pena in the yellow jersey still having to serve as watercarrier--how demeaning! Probably the only time Pena will EVER wear yellow, and Lance makes him go back in front millions of people and fetch him a drink?!?! Regardless of whatever propaganda the team dispenses, these guys are riding for a paycheck, not necessarily because they love what they are doing.

Contrast that with Tyler's image at CSC and now Phonak. He seems determined not only to get his share of the glory, but to ensure that his teammates get THEIR share, too. His talk--and his actions--have supported that image time and again. I don't know about you guys, but I know which leader I would work harder for . . .

Which will win out? . . . Mercenary efficiency or loyalty and emotion? I wouldn't bet against the Lance machine, but my heart is cheering for the Man from Marblehead.

BBDave

BarryG
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Contrast that with Tyler's image at CSC and now Phonak. He seems determined not only to get his share of the glory, but to ensure that his teammates get THEIR share, too.

I think that's generally true, and Tyler credits his teammates at every opportunity. However, weren't there some well-publicized complaints on Tyler's part that CSC didn't whole-heartedly support his GC effort last year at the Tour and thus, the ensuing Tyler/Riis riff? Riis seemed to be the one with the glory sharing attitude in that case, reporting that he had other riders needing his attention as well as Tyler, etc. etc.

Barry

Tom
06-23-2004, 10:15 AM
I'd be laughing my ass off at the humor in it. I would definitely do it just because it is so incongruous. For me, it's a bummer he's not on the team because my admiration of the guy went way up when he did that. You gotta love the quiet guy that kicks butt.

Climb01742
06-23-2004, 10:25 AM
not including pena, and instead choosing a more fit rider, might indicate how tough postal expects this year's tour to be.

everyone on postal knows exactly what they signed on for. shared glory wasn't in the job description.

a yep, i bet tyler and lance are very different people. to have a beer with, i bet tyler would be swell. but lance has 5 yellow jerseys. i bet it takes being a bit of a bastard to do that.

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2004, 10:37 AM
. . . interpret Tyler's remarks as complaining specifically about Bjarne or others. He was just giving an honest opinion about his experience. The guy may be real nice, but I imagine he also has feelings. It may have been unwise of him to voice them in this situation, but I think the cycling press made this into much more than it was. If Riis cannot take the mild criticism that Tyler voiced, then there are probably other issues at work here.

BBDave

BarryG
06-23-2004, 11:43 AM
He was just giving an honest opinion about his experience.

I think that's a very good take on the situation.

look forward to following Phonak in the Tour - they seem to be showing quite good team chemistry, and Sevilla and Tyler are showing great form.

Barry

bcm119
06-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Theres an interesting article on Pena, and other Colombian pros, in this month's Outside magazine of all places. The jist of it is that the Colombian pros would like more than anything to have their own team- they are very loyal/proud of their heritage, but the pay for racing in Europe goes a long way with their families. Its kind of a bittersweet situation. Although the article was written before it was decided that Pena would not make the Postal TdF team, its implications are revealing as to why he may not have now. If I were Pena, and turning 32 this year, my motivation to serve Lance again would be low.

shaq-d
06-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Contrast that with Tyler's image at CSC and now Phonak. He seems determined not only to get his share of the glory, but to ensure that his teammates get THEIR share, too. His talk--and his actions--have supported that image time and again. I don't know about you guys, but I know which leader I would work harder for . . .

Which will win out? . . . Mercenary efficiency or loyalty and emotion? I wouldn't bet against the Lance machine, but my heart is cheering for the Man from Marblehead.

BBDave

Urgh, BBDave, let's not compare leaders. One has won 5 tour de france's, the other has never podium'd the GC. I think that's all that needs to be said about who's the better leader. In any other sport, leaders are often measured by their wins. Jordan, Messier, Montana, etc. Armstrong is an awesome leader, and frankly, given the choice between working for a guy who's won 5 times or a guy who's never, I'd pick the guy who's won 5 times.

One guy crashes out of races. The other guy crashes and recovers to win races. One guy is known as a master tactician; the other is not. One guy has led his team for many many years. The other is only now becoming a leader.

Not to mention, this "loyalty" business is out of whack. If Tyler won 5 tour's in a row, do you think he'd still have the same team? Doubtful. Are Tyler's former CSC teammates going to go overboard for him? Doubtful. Teams are constantly changing, and I don't think we can say anything about who commands more loyalty.

sd

tch
06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Also in Outside was a line that said that Pena volunteered to go back to the team car for drinks and stuff. Obviously, I don't know the truth of any of it, but unless one does, I don't know that anyone should be claiming that the team, or Lance in particular, forced him to do it while wearing yellow.