PDA

View Full Version : What happened to rider-to-rider courtesy?

mikeg
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
OK, my turn to recessitate a prior rant.

For 4 days in a row now, I musted have ridden by 100 cyclists. Out of my 100 waves, greetings, etc. I received 2 back!

I know that the 'wave' has apparently become uncool among the newbie crowd. However, I find it incredible when I'm passing someone (who's usually in MY way because they're not paying attention to the surroundings), I annouce 'on the left', as I pass I ask 'how's it going', and I get the p.o.'d stare back at me.

I pass one group, annouce I'm on the left, and get a sarcastic 'on your left' back to me. I'm offending them by being capable of riding faster than they are!

To top it off, I pass a guy with on Ottrott on the back of his Miata. I give him a wave at the stop light - again, no response.

Frankly, I think there's a higher percentage of rude rider's than their are rude drivers. I suppose it just another sign of the times of how we're all just individual islands, and everyone else is out there to please me. (And, don't get me started on everyone 'needing' an ipod to ride/run - I've seen to many of them out there, they can't hear crap with the earpods in!)

mikki
07-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Actually I have noticed how many riders just stare blankly if spoken to, or look at you straight on and don't return a word or wave of any kind. Like you said, it is the sign of the "island times" where we are out for ourselves, doing our own thing, etc. etc.

My own bike club has mostly sweet, open, friendly people and it is there that I get my socializing on the bike. Still, some of them are snotty and I've gotten better at just acknowledging the source of the rudeness and moving on down the road...

Feel like hugging my friends. :beer:

dauwhe
07-10-2007, 07:21 PM
My rule is that I wave or nod or smile or say "hi" to every bicyclist I encounter--whether they're a racer dude, 8-year old, someone who lost their driver's license, or a crazy person wrapped in tinfoil.

If they wave back, cool!

Reminds me of a little experiment I used to do (back in my single days) when I would visit Manhattan. I'd smile at every woman I saw on the street, just for practice. Usually, in a three day visit, I'd get one smile in return, and it made it all worthwhile.

Dave

wtex
07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
You'll probably see these non-friendlies again, so, give 'em the Cinzano wave -- stick in the wheel! Ciao, suckers! :bike:

jimp1234
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
In the early Pleistocene era (mid-seventies), I bought my first sports car, a 63' Porsche S coupe (Nope don't still have it ..sigh..). Almost without fail every Porsche driver I saw would give me the "Porsche Nod", the driving eqivalent of the double secret handshake. And when I started riding bikes about the same time, I got the eqivalent "bikers nod" almost universally from my wooly clad bike brethren. At the time both of these groups were small and on the fringe, so my latest no wave/nod theory is that cycling is just too d**n popular and mainstream now, curse your blue eyes, Lance. Spelunking or big wave riding anyone?

:beer:

-Jim

JohnS
07-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I nod.
On a similar vein, did you ever notice that you see the same people every day but you wouldn't recognize them if they were standing in front of you? All you'd know is their bike...

Kevan
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
it's getting to be there are too many of us.

I learned in my first week of working in Manhattan that while walking the lunchtime streets, people didn't usually respond favorably to my greetings.

Oh, well.

Louis
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Mike,

I notice that you're posting from Michigan.

Maybe all the other MI cyclists are tired of riding with folks using mirrors... :D

breacher
07-10-2007, 08:56 PM
hey, i am the guy wrapped in tinfoil!

Dekonick
07-10-2007, 09:07 PM
The tin foil gives an aero advantage...

rounder
07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=dauwhe]My rule is that I wave or nod or smile or say "hi" to every bicyclist I encounter--whether they're a racer dude, 8-year old, someone who lost their driver's license, or a crazy person wrapped in tinfoil.

If they wave back, cool!

I don't have a rule, but I usually wave or say hi when seeing people riding their bikes, cutting their grass, etc.

pdxmech13
07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
giving others the "bird" has worked wonders on getting reactions from lycra clad units lately

dancinkozmo
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
OK, my turn to recessitate a prior rant.

For 4 days in a row now, I musted have ridden by 100 cyclists. Out of my 100 waves, greetings, etc. I received 2 back!

I know that the 'wave' has apparently become uncool among the newbie crowd. However, I find it incredible when I'm passing someone (who's usually in MY way because they're not paying attention to the surroundings), I annouce 'on the left', as I pass I ask 'how's it going', and I get the p.o.'d stare back at me.

I pass one group, annouce I'm on the left, and get a sarcastic 'on your left' back to me. I'm offending them by being capable of riding faster than they are!

To top it off, I pass a guy with on Ottrott on the back of his Miata. I give him a wave at the stop light - again, no response.

Frankly, I think there's a higher percentage of rude rider's than their are rude drivers. I suppose it just another sign of the times of how we're all just individual islands, and everyone else is out there to please me. (And, don't get me started on everyone 'needing' an ipod to ride/run - I've seen to many of them out there, they can't hear crap with the earpods in!)

I dont know if its a MI thing or not , but i've noticed that since i moved here from Ontario almost no one waves back...everyone looks so serious , in Canada , a lot more people seemed glad to see another cyclist on the road and would usually wave or at least nod...

H.Frank Beshear
07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm spoiled, I'm not likely to see a hundred cars in 4 rides let alone 100 riders. Unless I pack a bike and ride the path I see 4-5 other riders a week. We mostly wave, even yell a howdy across the road once in a while.

Ken Robb
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
It could be:
1-These rude people are on bikes to which they were fitted so that they look like Lance. Their saddles are so far up and their bars are so far down they can't see more than 10 feet in front of their front wheels so they don't know you are there.

2- Cyclists are total nerds who have absolutely no social skills or abilities at any other sports so they are uncomfortable acknowledging another human being.

3- Their mirrored Oakleys are so scratched up that they can't see you but they can't afford another pair of Oakleys and they are too cool to wear anything else.

4-You have blundered into the finishing sprint of a Cat 1 race and they think you are there to ruin their concentration so your team mate can beat them.

5-Your jersey is the wrong color for the gang that controls the turf you are traversing.

There may be other reasons some of you can suggest. :banana:

SWorks4me
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Just keep waving...it'll stick eventually. If not, you were the better person in that situation.

eddief
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
that people who don't know you from Adam should respond to you just because you say hello to them? Give the other humans a chance to have a nice peaceful ride without having expectations that they will act the way you "need" them to act. Quite frankly I am often riding my bike to get away from the rest of humanity who expect something from me without any right to do so. Get a dog.

DRZRM
07-10-2007, 11:13 PM
+1

Overall, I find most riders to still be civil, I wave or nod, they wave or nod back, if not...whatever, let them act like the above poster. No skin off my nose. I'm out for the ride, not for the friendship. Let them seek solitude if that's what they're looking for.

My rule is that I wave or nod or smile or say "hi" to every bicyclist I encounter--whether they're a racer dude, 8-year old, someone who lost their driver's license, or a crazy person wrapped in tinfoil.

If they wave back, cool!

Reminds me of a little experiment I used to do (back in my single days) when I would visit Manhattan. I'd smile at every woman I saw on the street, just for practice. Usually, in a three day visit, I'd get one smile in return, and it made it all worthwhile.

Dave

RIHans
07-11-2007, 02:12 AM
I ride most every day...2-3 hours, so I run across a fair bit of fellow bike riders. I, and my training pals, always wave, say "Hey", whatever.
I'm enjoying my bike, pushing it a bit, and we are not creeking along. I just don't understand the guy going along the other way, and will not even look, let alone nod.
Pull the stick out of your butt, please!
Ya, you are training...But a nod and a wink makes the world go 'round...no?
Venting In RI...Hans

RIHans
07-11-2007, 02:32 AM
that people who don't know you from Adam should respond to you just because you say hello to them? Give the other humans a chance to have a nice peaceful ride without having expectations that they will act the way you "need" them to act. Quite frankly I am often riding my bike to get away from the rest of humanity who expect something from me without any right to do so. Get a dog.

See my post...Frankly, You need a dog. People who don't "know you from Adam"...a smile and a node can make their day.
I am not sure how much energy you will be using to say "Hello". Not much, I'm guessing. The more I read your post, the more I have to edit myself.
East coast , Hans

mikeg
07-11-2007, 05:08 AM
JohnS - Funny;) Either bike or helmet color seems to be how I 'know' people on my rides.

barry1021
07-11-2007, 06:58 AM
My personal rule is to wave just give a little wave with the left hand to someone going the other way (as long as they are wearing a helmet), but someone who is rude to a passer who announces "on your left" is on another level IMHO. That person needs to learn the rules of the road, and pronto.

b21

OldDog
07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Over the years I've enjoyed riding my Harley's nearly as much as my bicycles. Up until the past 5 or so years seeing a motorcyclist on the road was not all that common, and giving the "low wave" was a subtle way of saying what's up brutha. Now, there are so many motorcyclists out there waving at ya, ya can hardly keep your left hand on the bars. It's become a pain in the arse. Anymore a wave only goes out to the freaks like me. I need to design a rubber arm, activated by a servo and a push button on the bars :beer:

keno
07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
to the motorist who has extended me a courtesy, for example pausing to let me pass before turning on to the road I'm riding or sometimes stopping before making a turn simply to let me cross a road he's turning from. The potential payback is far greater and more useful to other riders, I think, than the momentary connection with another biker. BTW, my experience has been that men generally do better than women in the driver courtesy category.

I also acknowledge other riders in one way or another. I consider it a personal growth test as my need for acknowledgement in return decreases (or increases). As one shrink of mine said, "It's data."

keno

Fixed
07-11-2007, 07:20 AM
bro I get that when I'm wearing street cloths and I'm on my bike . out of uniform imho
cheers

SWorks4me
07-11-2007, 08:11 AM

((((( big hug for Eddief )))))

sspielman
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Common courtesy and manners are lacking in modern society in general....these people don't change when they get on a bike....

Alexi
07-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I learned in my first week of working in Manhattan that while walking the lunchtime streets, people didn't usually respond favorably to my greetings

I bike the manhattan bridge at leat twice a day, I say hi/nod/wave to a few folks and most will do so in return. It may just be the fact that in this weather I'm often biking to work shirtless and all the tattoos scare the suckers into being respectfull.

I've noticed most of the younger guys on fixies or old Italian steel and old black guys with dreads* are more friendly and will ask about my bike when stopped at a light or the stairs at the bottom of the bridge Middle age yuppies on treks not so nice.

*is there a rastafi team in NYC? I've seen quite a few old black guys with dreads in full kit on nice bikes.

PaulE
07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
I miss Chunk 666 from the old phorum. He knew how to deal with this issue in his own unique way.

I waved today (http://www.hydromedia.com/serotta/read.php?f=1&i=7666&t=7666&v=f)

Too Tall
07-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Eh, don't let it bother you so much you'll live longer :)

Folks who are "working stuff out" need some space...seems there is alot of that on the roads these days. Don't take it personal.

Sometimes you luck up, say hi and it turns into a nice impromptu grupetto or not.

Fixed
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
[

*is there a rastafi team in NYC? I've seen quite a few old black guys with dreads in full kit on nice bikes.[/QUOTE]
there is a tradition of jamacan fix gear riders
cheers

chrisroph
07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
[

*is there a rastafi team in NYC? I've seen quite a few old black guys with dreads in full kit on nice bikes.
cheers[/QUOTE]

rudy mirander, a former temmate, a great sprinter in his day, a fixture at encino for many years.

mikki
07-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh my gosh Ken, you gave me the first laugh out loud for the day!!! :p

harlond
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I rode on July 4th, passed 30+ people, and waved at them all. They all waved back. If there were any eddief's among them, they kept it to themselves.

William
07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
In the early Pleistocene era (mid-seventies), I bought my first sports car, a 63' Porsche S coupe (Nope don't still have it ..sigh..). Almost without fail every Porsche driver I saw would give me the "Porsche Nod", the driving eqivalent of the double secret handshake. And when I started riding bikes about the same time, I got the eqivalent "bikers nod" almost universally from my wooly clad bike brethren. At the time both of these groups were small and on the fringe, so my latest no wave/nod theory is that cycling is just too d**n popular and mainstream now, curse your blue eyes, Lance. Spelunking or big wave riding anyone?

:beer:

-Jim

I used to get the same low key nod/wave when passing fellow Land Crusier owners.

I see other riders, I wave, I nod, or say hi to every single one I pass*. If they respond...cool. If not, no big, I just figure they are the anti-social type...and/or they have a big stick up their arse**. Either way, Who cares. I made the effort. Onward and upward.

William

*unless I'm really hammering and focused on the road right ahead.
**unless they're really hammering and focused on the road right ahead.

Bud_E
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I usually give a little nod or wave or whatever and a lot of riders seem to respond in kind. If not I won't hold it against anybody - I can't presume to know what's in a persons mind at that moment. I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt

--except recumbent riders -- Talk about attitude :D

William
07-11-2007, 12:45 PM
--except recumbent riders -- Talk about attitude :D

Yeah! Squirrel Lovers!!!...All of Them!!!

William ;) :D

paczki
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I find that around Boston nearly everyone waves.

manet
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
[

cheers[/QUOTE]

http://www.kissena.info/track/

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/programs/images/startrack.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/programs/startrack.html&h=307&w=200&sz=23&hl=en&start=23&tbnid=SkVSvWfnMQNNHM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=76&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkissena%2Btrack%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D 2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Bill Bove
07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
People point at me when I ride :confused:

stevep
07-11-2007, 05:20 PM
People point at me when I ride :confused:

bill,
with which finger?
it matters.

Frankwurst
07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Eh, don't let it bother you so much you'll live longer :)

Folks who are "working stuff out" need some space...seems there is alot of that on the roads these days. Don't take it personal.

Sometimes you luck up, say hi and it turns into a nice impromptu grupetto or not.

+1
I always wave, say good morning or Hi. If they acknowledge,fine, if not, fine. But I live in a very rural area where people tend to acknowledge each other. I encountered a Lady on Sunday morning pulled over talking on her cell phone and before I said a thing she interrupted her phone conversation to say "good morning" and offered a wave with her free hand. I like it here. :beer:

michael white
07-11-2007, 06:44 PM
You'll probably see these non-friendlies again, so, give 'em the Cinzano wave -- stick in the wheel! Ciao, suckers! :bike:

I thought that was a Silca frame pump . . . about all those things were good for.

davep
07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I used to try to wave, but got tired of the non-response. Also, if I tried to wave at every rider I would never put my left arm down. Not a lot of waving going on down here.

But if I pass someone (rarely) I always say "Hi" or "Great day to be riding". I am always amazed when I get absolutely no response, like I wasn't even there.

Ti Designs
07-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Or if you like getting ignored, get a cat!

People are in such a rush or so into their own thing that they miss most of the good stuff in life. Many of my best friends are people I met on the road and struck up a conversation with. I can understand going out for a ride to do some thinking - when I was in school I worked out details of most od my assignments while on solo rides. But anyone who functions in society should have the ability to turn it on or off. Nobody else around - thinking mode, somebody else around - social mode (or at least a wave).

eddief
07-11-2007, 08:30 PM
hum? my father died about 10 years ago. i loved the guy. we finally got to a point in each of our lives that allowed us each to listen to the other's opinion. we actually respected the other's right to have their own opinion without having to convince that one was "right." i bring it up because "should" sounds so controlling and parental. fortunately he and i grew beyond the parent child relationship.

when i am cycling down the street silently i do hope i have the right to do it neutrally without worrying about those whose feelings i hurt by cycling down the street silently. after all, i expect nothing from you.

ultimately the world would be a more peaceful place without the do-gooder should-ers.

Ti Designs
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
when i am cycling down the street silently i do hope i have the right to do it neutrally without worrying about those whose feelings i hurt by cycling down the street silently. after all, i expect nothing from you.

Well I'm not gonna track you down, show up on one of your rides and franticly wave at you the whole time - if that's what you're getting at. Yes, you do have the right to ride silently down the street, just as others have the right to form opinions about you as you do this. As for expecting nothing of people, that's what congress is for.

You own a cat, don't you?

JohnS
07-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I can't believe this, but I'm actually agreeing with eddief. I normally nod at people, but sometimes I don't bother. I ride to relax and get into myself, not socialize with others.
PS for TiDesigns- I hate cats and own a lovable 11 1/2 yr old Golden Retreiver...

Bill Bove
07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
CATS ROCK I have two at home, two at the shop and a couple of strays that know where a good meal can be had.

Fivethumbs
07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
The thing about a wave is that when you do it you're kind of putting yourself out there. When someone doesn't wave back it's a little bit like rejection. "Gosh, I guess they don't think I am cool enough to wave to". I get waved back to about half the time. What are gonna do.

shoe
07-11-2007, 11:26 PM
i wass thinking about this the other day . i went out to new hope and rode on a sunday in the hills. would pass people on a little back road narrow enough to hear them breath.. would wave and it was like i didn't exist... kinda funny..and then passed other very friendly people..plenty wave around here....went out on the fourth for a run..now that it is summer everyone is here ..... just wanted a nice hard ride and didn't acknowledge or wave at anyone....just wanted to ride and be in my own space........wave no wave it's all ok in my book....i actually like to watch the waves come in along the coast anyway...i find them much more interesting...dave

Louis
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I miss Chunk 666 from the old phorum. He knew how to deal with this issue in his own unique way.

I waved today (http://www.hydromedia.com/serotta/read.php?f=1&i=7666&t=7666&v=f)

Good ol' Chunk. I also miss him. Didn't he post something one day about using a 10T cog and a 56 or something like that in front?

Steve Hampsten
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
i notice that the guys who wave/give the nod

are: the real racers, the randonneurs, commuters, enthusiasts

posers and rec cyclists usually don't

i can live with that

deanster
07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
I see that a lot of the riders who give the blank stares or don't acknowledge your greetings usually have their ears plugged with the IPod speakers. Lot of people are pretty self absorbed and the internet, TV, video games, and cell phones don't help at all in the area of human interaction. I think that people who have to have music blasting in their ears during a ride are missing the most wonderful parts of nature...the sounds of the wind, birds, and the wheels on the pavement...Maybe I am just too old school...I still find a lot of riders here in Colorado who are communicative and friendly.

harlond
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM
i notice that the guys who wave/give the nod

are: the real racers, the randonneurs, commuters, enthusiasts

posers and rec cyclists usually don't

i can live with thatI wave, but I'm not sure I fit in any of your categories. Maybe enthusiast, but how is that different from rec cyclist?

stevep
07-12-2007, 08:19 AM
. would wave and it was like i didn't exist...

ever think that maybe you dont exist?
thats why they dont wave?
the twilight zone.

JasonH
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I wave, but I'm not sure I fit in any of your categories. Maybe enthusiast, but how is that different from rec cyclist?

Rec. cyclists don't read message boards for their bikes much if ever. ;)

BURCH
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I have noticed this too. The only time I don't wave or nod back on the road is when it would compromise my safety. Like descending at high speeds or when I hear a car coming up on me.

I have also noticed that I always get friendlier responses while mountain biking. There is always a quick friendly exchange on the trails, but maybe that is because you are going slower and pass by each other at a more intimate distance than buzzing by at 25mph.

eddief
07-12-2007, 10:06 AM
i don't and would never ride past someone with a flat tire and fail to ask if they were all right and had all the stuff they needed to continue on their ride.

deanster
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
i don't and would never ride past someone with a flat tire and fail to ask if they were all right and had all the stuff they needed to continue on their ride.

I always do the same. Any Old school rider who has been stuck on the road knows what it is like. When you simple stop and ask the person if they need anything you usually get a big thanks even if they are OK. That is the true spirit of riding...amen!

tab123
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
My actions depend on where I am riding. I ride in Chicago on the lakefront path (which is packed in the summer even in the early morning) and in rural SW Michigan. I usually ride solo.

On the lakefront path, I think it is nice to wave or nod when you are one of the few cyclists on the path. This is especially true for those of us who are out before 6:00 am in the summer or riding in the winter months (where you might see half a dozen other bikers on the 18-mile path on a below freezing day).

In rural Michigan, I wave or say "hello" to everyone because on a 50-mile ride I might see two or three other bikers (and not too many cars - but plenty of dogs). Most acknowledge me but some don't. I don't get offended, just find the lack of response odd.

The only time I was offended was when I asked a man (clearly a fellow Chicagoan but with a real attitude) with a flat tire whether he needed any help. He barked at me "No I'm fine." OK, I'm a woman but I do carry tire tools, a pump, etc. I will remember him in the future (and his silly rock band jersey).

Onno
07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I see that a lot of the riders who give the blank stares or don't acknowledge your greetings usually have their ears plugged with the IPod speakers. Lot of people are pretty self absorbed and the internet, TV, video games, and cell phones don't help at all in the area of human interaction. I think that people who have to have music blasting in their ears during a ride are missing the most wonderful parts of nature...the sounds of the wind, birds, and the wheels on the pavement...Maybe I am just too old school...I still find a lot of riders here in Colorado who are communicative and friendly.

I've been riding in Victoria BC for the past week or so, far away from my normal riding habitat of central NY. I'm astonished by the number of riders I see wearing earbuds. It necessarily produces a rider a lot less interested in the world around him or her, including other riders. And in a laregly urban area like this, it also seems crazy dangerous. I want to be able to hear cars and other cyclists approaching.

And yet, riding in a place where one is likely to see several dozen other riders on each ride, in some cases several dozen in the space of 10 minutes or so, waving quickly becomes a chore. I'm willing to posit that there is a direct correlation between rarity of cyclists and frequency of waving. A wave means in part, hey, look at us, we're doing something great and cool. When you see lots of other cyclists, it's not only a hassle to wave all the time, it becomes kind of nerdy to keep waving because the meaning of the wave is now superfluous. Or something like that.

mikki
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
"[Either way, Who cares. I made the effort. Onward and upward."William

I agree whole-heartedly!! Besides, it's more fun to be happy & positive with a warm attutude than to be negative and a poop!! Poop begets more poop. Good vibes bring in more of the same.

As for me, I'll keep acknowledging folks and feel great about those that acknowledge me back and not think too much about the ones who choose not to. I do think that there is an etiquette for cyclists too, but just like in the bigger society, there are those that believe in following etiquette and those that are offended by it.

:D

bigbill
07-12-2007, 02:11 PM
When I lived and commuted in Hawaii, I was a "waver". Even when I was on my race bike, I waved or at least nodded if I didn't want to let go of the bars. Same thing when I lived in Virginia, Washington, and South Carolina. Now I am living on the Italian island of Sardinia and I be dammed if anyone will wave back. No one!!! The island is a tourist mecca so there are French, German, Belgian, Swiss, etc riders, some riding some really sweet bikes. None of them will wave or even acknowledge another rider. One guy even sat on my wheel for several miles and wouldn't even make eye contact when I slowed to turn for home. I don't get it. Are Americans the only ones uncool enough to wave?

Fixed
07-12-2007, 02:31 PM
bro I'm reminded of one the smartest guys on the forum once said " do you wave at everyone when you drive your car? " wear street clothes and almost no cyclist will wave at you . imho
cheers

BURCH
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Now I am living on the Italian island of Sardinia and I be dammed if anyone will wave back. No one!!! The island is a tourist mecca so there are French, German, Belgian, Swiss, etc riders, some riding some really sweet bikes. None of them will wave or even acknowledge another rider. One guy even sat on my wheel for several miles and wouldn't even make eye contact when I slowed to turn for home. I don't get it. Are Americans the only ones uncool enough to wave?

Interesting...this reminds me of when I lived and rode in Rome. I would ride out to the Sea and come across tons of roadies, but no one ever acknowledged each other. It always had a pre-race seriousness. Really strange. However, the automobiles were always very respectful.

Firenze
07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I have noticed that the hard core riders in the early spring and late fall when the weather is marginal or bad are much more likely to wave or say hello than the “serious” mid season riders. Overall, folks seem courteous and sometimes friendly. I have met some really nice people out riding.

Arch

bigbill
07-13-2007, 04:12 AM
It always had a pre-race seriousness. Really strange. However, the automobiles were always very respectful.

The cars will give a "friendly" honk after they pass you.

deanster
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
I have been noticing the friendliness issue whereas before...I am finding a simple nod in the direction of other riders usually elicits a similar nod, or a slight flip up of the hand from the bars gets the same...Very few riders here in Colorado completely ignore you unless they are in Ipod heaven.
Until this post I wasn't thinking about a response just a simple acknowledgement of the other rider travelling in the opposite direction.

39cross
07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
I wave or nod at most everyone I see riding, 'cause when I was a kid riding a bike in the 70's the older guys would wave at me. There were a lot fewer riders in those sepia-toned days. It used to bug me somewhat when I would wave and the recipient of the friendly gesture would pointedly ignore it, but now I realize they are so overwhelmed by being on a bike that it's all they can do not to fall over.

The memorable experiences outweigh everything else. Heck, not too far from the end of a long ride earlier this year I passed some kids sitting on the steps of a general store, their mountain bikes leaning over against the hand rail. "Nice road bike, mister" one of them called to me as I rode by. I said "Hey thanks!" and rode on. Now that I think about it, what if I just rode by without saying anything? What would that kid's attitude be towards bicyclists?

spiderlake
07-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I always think of waving to other bikers as being similar the "jeep wave". Nearly every Wrangler owner will wave to each other on the road. While it isn't universal (you never see Liberty owners waving to each other), there must be enough of a common ground that compels us to wave to each other. I'm the same way on the bike. I will always wave or say hi to another biker. Some wave, some don't but it doesn't bother me.