PDA

View Full Version : Giving Thanks

a100mark
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
So many of you have prob seen the Surly Steamroller that I posted a few days ago on the Custom Bikes link. I have been trying to actually grapple with what happened last Friday when I picked her up from my local shop. Since I'm not much of a religious person (spiritual yes), I feel like I need to give thanks publicly to who/whatever it was that has been looking out for me lately.

Over the past week, I have almost been hit by a car 3 times. Believe it or not, 2 of the 3 times it has not been because of my lack of attention but rather the folks in the car. The first 2 incidents of the week, although uncomfortable at the time, were no big deal. I was easily able to get myself out of the situation without much risk. The third incident, the one I'm actually writing about, is the one that still has me knocked off kilter....

So I headed over to the shop to pick up my bike. When I arrived, Jason (my mechanic) told me to hop on her and take her for a spin so we could fiqure out the best position for the handlebars. I hopped on, no helmet/no brake, and not thinking much of it took to the neighborhood streets of Chapel Hill. I kept my speed low, which made it easy to slow/stop to brakeless fixed gear. However, right as I was getting ready to turn around and head back to the shop I spotted a little hill that I wanted to try on the bike. I deceided I could decend the hill turn around at the bottom and climb my way back. (you see where this is going)

At the moment I committed to decending the hill I remembered not only did I not have a brake, but my legs were not going to be strong enough to slow me down in time to stop at the forth coming stop sign. Down I went, faster and faster and faster screaming "I have no breaks" straight through the stop sign and into cross traffic I went. I was 5 feet away from either losing my life or visting my neighbor who was on call in the tramua unit at UNC.

Obviously, I got lucky. To think that I made such an idiotic decision b/c I was only going to "tool" around the neigborhood still kills me. As a 6th grade teacher, I lecture my kids all the time about the importance of helmets b/c w/o fail I always see them riding without them.

I am blessed. But I have also lost some of my comfort level on the fixed gear. I feel like I've been spared and I should do something about it....

Has anyone else had a similar situation they'd want to share?

bostondrunk
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Naw, I've never been that dumb.
William?

;) :beer:

bironi
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
What you should do about it is practice your skid braking everyday. :beer:

Jeff Weir
07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I think Kevan could top that one.

Kevan
07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
for restoring my lack of interest in this type of venture.

Be safe, install a brake.

Chad Engle
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
+1 on the brake, cool isn't cool if you're dead.

Ken Robb
07-10-2007, 03:16 PM
+1 on the brake, cool isn't cool if you're dead.
nah, dead guys are cool---real cool.

tbushnel
07-10-2007, 03:16 PM
What you should do about it is practice your skid braking everyday. :beer:

+1. helps with the confidence though a bit tough on the tires.

Smiley
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
dude , a mind is a terrible thing to waste ...THINK Brakes and Helmet ALWAYS

Climb01742
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
William?

LOL

William
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
William?

Huh?! Oh, ah...

There was the time that I rode my Schwinn Scrambler on just the wheels.....no tires. :crap: Does that count??? :confused:

William

.Glad you made it...though...brain fart? ;)

PaulE
07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Huh?! Oh, ah...

There was the time that I rode my Schwinn Scrambler on just the wheels.....no tires.

When he was a kid he staged a circus in his back yard. Tried to ride a bike with no tires on the rims on a tightrope which thankfully was not very high off the ground.

BURCH
07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow, tough crowd today. Glad you are ok. Can't tell you if there is something that you should do, but here is my personal story of luck.

Went on a multi day backpacking last year with my wife on the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA. I failed to double check the weather report and we go caught in the middle of a pretty bad Thunder Storm. 30 minutes of lightning striking all around us and all we could do is cross our fingers and keep hiking. We made it out ok, but I think that we definately were lucky because we were seeing trees getting struck all around us. It is the kinda of situation that makes you stop and think a little. Now, I didn't swear of backpacking. Instead, I thanked God and took it as a lesson to double check weather reports.

I think that you have learned something and will be back out there!

mikki
07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
My husband and I visited Portland, Oregon a month or so ago and gave notice to two long haired guys before passing them up a steep hill on what we thought to be hybrid bikes & no helmets. Not paying attention to them after that time, we were stunned to see them FLY by us on the downhill, put their foot down to slow themselves, turn immediately in front of us and fly into the field's path to the right.

Yikes. Could have killed all three of us!!! (but looked pretty cool)

Steelhead
07-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Do you mind if I use your example with my Bicycle Retailer clients as to why they need to properly insure their liability? Even though you were at fault, they should have never let you out the door without a helmet even on your own bike while in the process of making adjustments. Stay home and watch TV all day long like people who have been hurt in accidents and count how many lawyers there are out there looking to sue people so you "can get the money you deserve" :rolleyes:

72gmc
07-10-2007, 04:29 PM
No offense to the OP--I'm glad you're OK and I dig that Surly--but bostondrunk's reply was the post of the day.

a100mark
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
No offense to the OP--I'm glad you're OK and I dig that Surly--but bostondrunk's reply was the post of the day.

No doubt...I deserved every bit of it!

Ginger
07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
and I should do something about it....

Install an air horn?

Mom always used to say that God looks after children and fools.
Glad you're ok.

barry1021
07-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Install an air horn?

Mom always used to say that God looks after children and fools.
Glad you're ok.

a mirror??

Ginger
07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
a mirror??
Nah, mirror wouldn't have helped with the cross traffic. Just say'n.

Fixed
07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
be careful bro . I ve seen a couple of guys crash when the tried to ride my bike . give it some time to get the feel for it ..imho !"
"The hardest thing about learning to ride a bicycle is the road!"
cheers