PDA

View Full Version : OT question(s)

1happygirl
07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Everyone knows this is the most literate, educated forum on the internet. The replys (even though I lurk mostly) I have gotten to my small number of questions are the most thoughtful, experienced, researched opinions on the planet.

Okay, so here goes...Anyone have any experience with laptop computer mounts for vehicles, ie RAM mounts, JOTTO mounts, or others? Do they seem to work well and are they easily "stuffed/stored" if you want to have a passenger?
Airbags aside (I don't plan on any accidents any time soon), how easy are they to mount? A lot I have looked at seem to be no-drill, which is the ultimate goal not to tear the vehicle up.

PS. I am still in the, "Don't breathe on it stage/touch it" stage as the proud owner of a new-to-me vehicle.

PPS. Anyone know of the guy that shows up at Hotter N' Hell every year that sells the interior bike mounts? I was also interested in putting the 'baby' (bicycle) in the back this way.

Thanks in advance.

bostondrunk
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Everyone knows this is the most literate, educated forum on the internet.

Me likish beer and Sandy and ernsto colnago dude

William
07-10-2007, 11:52 AM

N Bassets.

bostondrunk
07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
N Bassets.

yeah baby

1happygirl
07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
To quote myself: Everyone know this is the most educated forum on the internet

Okay, with a few exceptions. LOL.

gdw
07-10-2007, 01:09 PM
In a past life I sold software and rugged laptops to law enforcement agencies for use in vehicles and at crime scenes. We found that the best mounting systems were units which placed the computer over the console. The models which mount the computer on a slightly elevated swiveling platform were the safest. Look for systems with a simple quick release mechanism which allow the laptop to be unclipped and removed with minimal fuss. I would avoid any unit which mounts the laptop on a pillar and arm system which can pivot for ease of access if you or a passenger will be operating the system while driving. They aren't as strong as the console systems and can be very dangerous in an accident.

The best mounts for police work were designed for specific vehicles and often had "feet" which mounted underneath the rails that the front seats sit on. Installation required a bit of shop time. I'd suggest that you take a drive to the local PD or state police barracks and ask one of the officers if you can see their patrol car's setup. Most police officers are pretty helpful.
Here's a link to a number of manufacturers who cater to law enforcement agencies.
http://directory.officer.com/buyersguide/COMPUTERS___SOFTWARE/Mounting_equipment/index.html

A final word of warning is in order if you choose to put a mount in your private vehicle. Laptops are easy to fence and thieves target non-law enforcement vehicles with laptop mounts. They assume that the computer is in your trunk and will pop it open with a crow bar to check.

1happygirl
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
A final word of warning is in order if you choose to put a mount in your private vehicle. Laptops are easy to fence and thieves target non-law enforcement vehicles with laptop mounts. They assume that the computer is in your trunk and will pop it open with a crow bar to check.

Excellent advice. Don't want to go as far as a rugged laptop. RAM Systems will be a no drill option which mounts under my seat using the existing seatbolts with spring mounted holder for laptop.

This is good advice again about the theft issue. Even though I have removed the laptop, the platform will still be there and one might think the laptop is not far away. Forgot about that.

Thanks for the reply.

Peter P.
07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I have to echo exactly what gdw said. I work in the communications industry and most of our clients are public safety i.e., police departments. Call any local PD and ask to speak to their communications officer; sometimes it's a civilian. Tell them your deal and ask if they can let you have an industry magazine that might advertise such computer mounts-our business (Motorola two-way radios) has an industry magazine, MRT-Mobile Radio Technology, which advertises such products. They have law enforcement magazines that advertise the same products.

Most of the mounts I encounter are for vehicles typically used in police work; Ford Crown Victorias, Explorers, Expeditions, and similar stuff. HINT is one manufacturer. The Crown Vic mount requires unbolting the front bolts of the passenger seat and slipping the mount over the studs. The other manufacturers have similar designs. There are definitely mounts which will pivot out of the way of the passenger because a lot of PDs file union grievences concerning the potential of passenger air bags launching the laptop into the driver. Thus, safer designs appear.

rwsaunders
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Do you think that this man needed a laptop in his Merc in order to put Wo Fat away?

BoulderGeek
07-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Right after high school, some friends were in a band called "Jack Lord's Hair." You know, because it never moved no matter what you did to it.

Best band name ever.

No idea about laptop mounts in cars. I just prop mine on the passenger seat to watch movies as I drive.

I did gie up the RAM mount for my GPS on my motorcycle, though. Could never find a workable place that didn't annoy me or obscure controls and gauges.

andy mac
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
just what the world and especially cyclists need, more distracted drivers...

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :no: :crap:

Ti Designs
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Everyone knows this is the most literate, educated forum on the internet.

That would be the second most literate, educated forum on the internet. The first would be the cage fighting forum - and if you don't agree they'll beat the crap out of you.

Most cars and SUVs have a ultra high resolution screen mounted in front of the driver which feeds them data so they don't run into other objects. It's called a windshield...

SadieKate
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
PPS. Anyone know of the guy that shows up at Hotter N' Hell every year that sells the interior bike mounts? I was also interested in putting the 'baby' (bicycle) in the back this way.
Are you looking for something like this? http://www.saris.com/p-227-traps-47-triple-track.aspx

Or you can just make it yourself.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/BubbaBoard.jpg

1happygirl
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Are you looking for something like this? http://www.saris.com/p-227-traps-47-triple-track.aspx

Or you can just make it yourself.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/BubbaBoard.jpg
Hey thanks for the replys guys and gals. Just getting off work from the weekend. Yeah that's what I'm talking about for the bike for sure. I think the guy at H n' H is a no drill option and vehicle specific too though. Time factor not really into making it myself. Now that I have a big vehicle, this will cause me to ride more. Ha. I hope. They'll probably steal my bike too.