PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Selle Italia Flite problem

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I recently bought a new 2007 Flite Gel Flow in white. It was hard to find but I have always like white saddles, and it matches the white panel on my new CDA. I wanted the original Flite design in white, but couldn't find it for less than $100 so I went with the new Gel Flow in white.

Here is the problem - I have about 500 miles on this saddle and the leather around the nose is already peeld and rubbed down to that gray/black tone that i would get on my older white flites - but after about 15,000 miles or so. Another girl up at the shop I use got a black one and her saddle is doing the same after only about 200 miles. I have checked and double checked the saddle is in straight. It appears the PI Ultrasensors I have been wearing for years are rubbing off the leather finish on these. Whats the deal - All my other Flites lasted forever - and only got better with age. This one is showing wear within the first month. :confused: Anyone else???

Russity
07-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I've got the exact same saddle as you on my Strong and have been out for about 400miles so far. No wear as yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

I did notice that the position of the 2007 Flites compared to my original, is a lot different to set up. It certainly wasn't a case of the usual measurement from Stem to nose tip of the saddle. Have you had to move yours? perhaps it's rubbing becasue of that?

I've ridden Flites forever and have never had any trouble, like yourself, with the original design, so it'll be interesting to see how this new '07 goes??

shanerpvt
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Regal Saddle
by Selle San Marco
White Leather with Titanium Rails
$95.00 each.

on e-richie's website.

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I thought about the white regal - was real close to getting one when I couldn't find a white Flite, but the regal is a bit wide for me so I held off. I may try that one or a white Aliante if this one keeps on wearing like it has so far. I'll post a photo when I have a minute. Also interested in one of the Specialized white saddles, either the Alias or the Toupe.

cleavel
07-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Hi Steelhead,

What you and others are reporting about the new Flite has me very worried. I have only used three different saddles since 1974: Cinelli Unicanitor, Selle Italia Turbo, and Selle Italia Flite (original).

I may have to buy up a stock of 2006 Flites and keep them in cold storage for the future.

I am definitely interested in hearing more about these changes.

Steelhead
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi Steelhead,

What you and others are reporting about the new Flite has me very worried. I have only used three different saddles since 1974: Cinelli Unicanitor, Selle Italia Turbo, and Selle Italia Flite (original).

I may have to buy up a stock of 2006 Flites and keep them in cold storage for the future.

I am definitely interested in hearing more about these changes.

I'm going to nudge mine forward just slightly and see if that helps. I'll try to get a photo up later tonight. Technologically challenged. :)

zap
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
snipped

I noticed that the '06 Flite Carbonio I purchased is also different than the original Flite. The rails are positioned differently so that I could not use this model on a bike with slacker st angles. I don't know if the '06 ti model has the same problem or not.

The original Flite saddle works well for my wife so I now keep the old worn ones and plan to recover them as needed. I purchased a fairly large piece of skin and recovered an old Flite carbon model. After 500 or so miles there is no sign of wear.

cleavel
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi,

So does anyone know where I can get a couple of 2006 or earlier Flite saddles? I'll be checking ebay in a few.

Simon Q
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
I thought about the white regal - was real close to getting one when I couldn't find a white Flite, but the regal is a bit wide for me so I held off. I may try that one or a white Aliante if this one keeps on wearing like it has so far. I'll post a photo when I have a minute. Also interested in one of the Specialized white saddles, either the Alias or the Toupe.

Try the Aliante. Flites were nice, Aliante awesome - for me.

Steelhead
07-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi,

So does anyone know where I can get a couple of 2006 or earlier Flite saddles? I'll be checking ebay in a few.

I watched eBay for about 6 weeks and bid on just about every one I saw. My max bid was $85 and they were all going for $95+ . I'm not a cheapskate, I just knew that as soon as QBP or BTI had one in stock I could get it at cost anyway, which was $90 for a brand new one and no shipping fee, so i waited.