PDA

View Full Version : OT: TV Question

Mud
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I have DTV. On a set with a standard DTV RCA box there are jacks in the back that are normally hooked up to a stereo receiver, VCR, whatever. I was wondering if they could be hooked directly up to a pair of speakers without going through a separate receiver.

I realize this is an insane and inane question but my Mom lives with us and now wants to watch TV in her own living room (YES!!!!), but is slightly hard of hearing and her set is under our bedroom and 12 feet from where she would sit. There are no takeoff jacks on the set which is old but adequate.

Thanks. Too hot to ride this evening.

MarleyMon
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
You could use powered speakers (they have their own amplifier built in).
Will she be willing to wear headphones? There might be a 'phones jack on the DTV rcvr/box.
The audio from the RCA jacks of a DTV rcvr/box will not power standard spkrs.

Mud
07-11-2007, 08:03 AM
The idea of Mom finally watching TV in her own room has a lure all its own. I love her dearly but I cannot watch TV with her because it is an Al Trautwig commentary on everything. I guess when you are 94 you are entitled but I can't watch with her. I used to have the computer in the same room and was not watching but still got an update on "Little House" everyday. I only wish I do as well at 94-no meds to speak of, manages her own money and still mother's me.

What I finally did was to take the TV apart. It is stereo so I unhooked the two speakers and soldered speaker wire to them. This set is put together like garbage. If you slide the circuit board into the appropriate slots the antenna jack in about an inch off from going through the back of the case. I wondered why it was lying loose inside when I opened it.

I ran the wires where they had to go and hooked them up to a new set of Sony speakers and life is good. When she moved in 3 years ago it took almost a year before she felt comfortible moving into her own quarters (which is a large bedroom, a huge living room, a private bath and shower, everything except a stove, and all is code.

I even have a chair elevator (it was not for her and was in before she came) but she has never used it. All of this took away storage for our kayaks, bikes, whatever. I have the world's largest laundry room downstairs which has been taken over by her bookcases. I do keep the Serottas there, I need some room.

Last time she went on a kick she wanted to use the treadmill. She has always been a walker so I cleaned out the garage to make room (Garage is heated), gave away or through out a lot of stuff I would have liked to have kept and said go get em. 18 months have passed with no treadmill, I am just hoping that the TV will be quicker.

Hopefully, the weather in NJ will improve. It has been too hot at night to ride, at least for me. My mountainbike ride was cancelled this AM so maybe a road ride tonight. :banana: