PDA

View Full Version : Threshold test

Karin Kirk
07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Anyone here ever done a threshold test, such as a lactate threshold or functional threshold (no blood drawn)?
If you've had one, what did you do with the results? Did you re-test after some specific training?

I did a functional threshold test yesterday and now I'm pondering what to make of the results. It's all very interesting and I'm only just starting to learn about this stuff, so I'm interested in others' experiences.

thanks!
-Karin

Climb01742
07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
funny you should ask. this is how i spent last thursday, my birthday, with max testa down in salt lake city. i did the whole 9 yards, lactate threshold and VO2 max. who is reading the data makes a huge difference in what you learn from it.

Karin Kirk
07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
funny you should ask. this is how i spent last thursday, my birthday, with max testa down in salt lake city. i did the whole 9 yards, lactate threshold and VO2 max. who is reading the data makes a huge difference in what you learn from it.

Nice photo - is that you? Looks like a grand birthday party!
So - what did you learn from your results? Are you using them to shape a training plan? Were your results as you expected, or surprising in some ways?

Giff
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Back in college, I did a VO2 Max and Lactate Threshold test that included blood draws....a bit akward on a stationary bike! I used it for extra credit in a weight lifting class, as my instructor needed guinea pigs for his grad work! :D I was only riding for fun so the info was pretty useless for me, but it was interesting nontheless. I will say this, though, the protocol only allowed me to pedal at about 40 RPMs, which was over twice as slow as I was used to.

Firenze
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I did a VO2 test about a month ago. I paid a little extra for an hour of interpretation and coaching. I came away with heart rate training zones geared to my actual data versus calculated numbers. I also have the % of fuel from glucose and fat in the various zones. Also got a good picture of watts produced in each zone. We then applied that information to my training plan and made some modifications, more on bike strength work working a higher gear one day, a long low intensity ride once a week, and of course more intervals.

I have found the information gathered very helpful in that I now have a much clearer picture of what is going on with my body as I ride and train.
Arch

Climb01742
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice photo - is that you? Looks like a grand birthday party!
So - what did you learn from your results? Are you using them to shape a training plan? Were your results as you expected, or surprising in some ways?

yep, that's me and that's max. i learned a lot. most importantly, i learned two things: what my body is best suited for (according to the data, time trialling) and what sort of workouts to do, a VERY specific HR and watts, based on specific, individual data. max gave me a very detailed training schedule. and surprises? that i don't suck as much as i thought! :D

jeffg
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
yep, that's me and that's max. i learned a lot. most importantly, i learned two things: what my body is best suited for (according to the data, time trialling) and what sort of workouts to do, a VERY specific HR and watts, based on specific, individual data. max gave me a very detailed training schedule. and surprises? that i don't suck as much as i thought! :D

so there! (Don't need no stinking test to tell me that ;) )

Happy belated B-Day!

Too Tall
07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
What Climb said in spades. The information can be really misleading if you try to compare yourself to others.

What is your goal or desired result using the data?

Training zones? Establish a baseline physiology?

Determine for once and all time that you will not wear yourself out petting the cat for 4 str. hrs. no breaks?

Curious minds.

Spicoli
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Climb,
I know its personal stuff, but could you kinda explain in a round about way what Testa layed out for you with regard to the type of wattage ect. he wanted you to do and why? I know its not something you can put in a nutshell but I have been real curious about this stuff and Testa used to coach one of my fav. hammers the man "Tafi" himself so if there was a go to guy he would be it. I actually based alot of my training off of stuff my brother got from one his programs for Tafi. Also how did you get hooked up with him too? Really curious and cool stuff!

Thnx, Jeff

Climb01742
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Climb,
I know its personal stuff, but could you kinda explain in a round about way what Testa layed out for you with regard to the type of wattage ect. he wanted you to do and why? I know its not something you can put in a nutshell but I have been real curious about this stuff and Testa used to coach one of my fav. hammers the man "Tafi" himself so if there was a go to guy he would be it. I actually based alot of my training off of stuff my brother got from one his programs for Tafi. Also how did you get hooked up with him too? Really curious and cool stuff!

Thnx, Jeff

i was gonna write up a little report of my day with max. i hope it will answer your questions. give me a day or two, ok? having been out of the office for a week, my desk is buried in work! back to you soon...with pictures!
ps: oh the stories max has...loads about michele bartoli. and a few about the other two (in)famous italian doctors!

stevep
07-09-2007, 05:33 PM
climb,
get him to sell you some of the good italian shiite...you will be able to torture norton.

Karin Kirk
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
What Climb said in spades. The information can be really misleading if you try to compare yourself to others.

What is your goal or desired result using the data?

Training zones? Establish a baseline physiology?

TT, mostly I am trying to educate myself about physiology, training zones and how to create a training program. I've gone through the Level 3 USA Cycling certification and I am just getting started with some volunteer coaching with our local team. So I figured the best way to learn more is to go through the test myself.

I learned plenty by doing the test and talking through my results with the coach, but I'm interested how others use the info and what they got out of it.

How the results apply to me personally is a secondary goal, however it's very interesting to have the data.

Why is it not a good idea to compare yourself to others? I though that some of the numbers generated during the test were precisely for that purpose, like your watts/kg of body weight. My understanding was that is a good number to use for comparisons. Perhaps there are some numbers that are individual and some that are universal? Please explain TT, if you care to. Thanks!

manet
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM

dude!

ada@prorider.or
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
karen
basicly you can see on the test how you condition is ,
and if you have a history how you train and or you improve
also on wich level you should train for certain goals
and wich rpm hart rate and power

aso you weight and build says something also you fat %
also you oxygen uptake and you RER number says a lot about you

personaly lactate does tell me not very much
RER says so much more

deechee
07-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Funny, I just started a new training program with a coach so my opinion is very green. Yes, the watts/kg definitely showed my level compared to others but for me that was secondary since I am racing myself. It also brought up a number of strengths/weaknesses I suspected but never had data to prove. (I'm better for longer distances, my recovery after going past LT was poor etc.)

So with my program so far I see short sets (30secs->2 min) at very high efforts with long recoveries even though I'm working with a 90km TT in mind (1/2IM). Its funny that I never tested myself on the bike frequently but I did with swimming. We do 1500m TTs in the pool every 4-6 weeks and change our 100m times frequently. But as the others have said, its up to the coach to follow the results and prescribe effective training zones...

I have to say in general training with a powertap is very different. I never realized how much power I was wasting accelerating and how much more power I was digging out when climbing. Sometimes going easy was too easy etc.

Too Tall
07-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Karin - Cause your physiology on the day of testing was what it was that day!!! This is a slice of your yearly training not a picture of who you are as an athlete. The information is only a relative guauge to others. Yeah yeah every category rider wants to have >4 w/kg blah blah blah however it is a real mind f%$k to see numbers well below that and you are capable of winning races. What I find very useful from testing are fine tuning of training zones and as a measure of progress or indication of successful training programs.

Spicoli
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Climb,

Thnx, Jeff
Thnx Climb
Looking forward to it. :)

manet
07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
i will write up a little report of my day with max. it will answer your questions. in a day or two. back to you soon...with pictures!

9th, 10th, 11th... just saying.

Fat Robert
07-11-2007, 07:01 PM
you still using an srm, climbo?

i always thought the powermeter told you more than the lab rat tests....

Too Tall
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Doc., he's gone over the dark side...I went by his house...no answer...went to the back and saw a pile of disposable razors, plastic baggies with residue and what looked like a deep sea submarine. I dunno, I dunno..he'd better talk soon.