PDA

View Full Version : Taking to the "Flight", or saddling up options.

William
06-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I have been riding a Selle Flight (Ti) saddle for ages and am ready to replace it. I’m curious if anyone who has ridden the flight (and liked it) has had good luck with any other saddles. BTW, I was partial to the perforated leather. I didn’t mind the slight tack to the touch as opposed to slick/smooth leather feel.

Do any of these new saddles with the cut outs or channels running down the middle make much of a difference? The Flight shape has been good to me and I don’t really have a problem with numbness. Nothing that readjusting or standing up every once in a while can’t take care of.
Basically I’m just curious about options that are out there with some of the newer saddles.

Thanks,

William

Dr. Doofus
06-22-2004, 12:09 PM
the doc liked the old flite trans am best of any saddle...but they've changed the shape slightly and caled it the gel flow, and its not the same

doc rides flight gel now, and isn't crazy about it...

they make flite turbos in red?

Ken Lehner
06-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I have been riding a Selle Flight (Ti) saddle for ages and am ready to replace it. I’m curious if anyone who has ridden the flight (and liked it) has had good luck with any other saddles. BTW, I was partial to the perforated leather. I didn’t mind the slight tack to the touch as opposed to slick/smooth leather feel.

Why are you ready to replace it? I've been riding this saddle and no other for nearly 20 years.

93legendti
06-22-2004, 12:56 PM
the doc liked the old flite trans am best of any saddle...but they've changed the shape slightly and caled it the gel flow, and its not the same

doc rides flight gel now, and isn't crazy about it...

they make flite turbos in red?

I like mine better, it also lasts longer!

gt6267a
06-22-2004, 01:05 PM
i was riding a flite trans am for a while and loved it. then, lost 20lbs and it no longer fit. i tried a aliante, didn't work. i tried a b17, didn't work. now i'm riding a koobi au enduro and it seems ok.

ericmurphy
06-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I've been riding Flites on both my mountain bike and my road bike for about the last five years. I really like the saddle, and in fact originally planned on spec'ing my Legend with a Flite ti.

On the other hand, I never thought of myself as particularly picky when it came to saddles. I used to have one of those Vetta gel saddles, and rode on it for probably a year before I noticed all the gel had hardened up and gave the saddle the consistency of balsa wood.

Anyway, when I was spec'ing my Legend, my LBS noted wear marks on my Flite that indicated that I slide back and forth a lot on the saddle, which is definitely true (often in seated climbing I find myself sliding forward on the saddle, for some reason). So he suggested the Fizik Arione, because it's quite a bit longer than other saddles and gives you more seating positions.

Well, that's as may be, but I have to say that after a couple of hundred miles, I am completely blown away by how comfortable the Arione is. It's just amazing! On the Flite, I'd usually have kind of a sore butt after 70 miles or more. But now I can ride at least 85 miles (my longest ride on the Legend so far) on the Arione, and my butt doesn't even know I've been on the bike.

If you're looking for a super-comfortable and really light (although kind of expensive) saddle, I'd give the Fizik a serious look.

dirtdigger88
06-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I got my first Flite saddle in 1989- since then I have had 10 bikes, they all have Flites on them. I tried a few others, but I always go back to the flite. I am still not sure if i like the gel or the standard one better- it kinda depends on the day i think

Jason

William
06-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Why are you ready to replace it? I've been riding this saddle and no other for nearly 20 years.

The same Crit crash that destroyed my helmet also bent one of the rails on my saddle. I was able to get it straightened out and have ridden on it for a good while. But, I'm noticing on these rougher roads out here that it's starting to bend/settle a bit. I'm just thinking I might want to replace it before it possibly breaks or starts messing with my body position/alignment on the bike. Otherwise I think your right, it probably would have lasted quite a few more years. Again, the Flite has been good to me. I'm just curious about options (and what folks have to say about thier "likes" in saddles).

William

Ken Lehner
06-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Jeez, I thought you were replacing saddle types , not just this instance of saddle! No, I haven't been riding the same instance of saddle for 20 years. Each lasts a couple of years before the leather wears away on the side of the nose.

TmcDet
06-22-2004, 02:24 PM
I use the Flight saddle that Serotta has with the Serotta name and S on it...I am not sure exactly which Flight it is but I like it

Tony Edwards
06-22-2004, 03:23 PM

Huh? IIRC the Flite was not released until 1991 or so.

vaxn8r
06-22-2004, 04:47 PM
My butt likes the basic Flite ti. I have it on 5 road bikes.

I've been curious about the Arione but why fix something which aint broke?

alembical
06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
I hate to admit it, but I am not sure what my saddle is. I know it is a Flite, and that the rails are TI, so is it just the Basic Flite TI (see pic at link)? On my other bikes I have a Trans Am, but much the same way, just not sure what it is (http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=349&password=&sort=1&cat=507&page=15). It has a cutout, and is newer but not as comfortable as the Flite TI (which I expect is 8-10 years old now) and looks like this http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2408. Whatever Flite TI saddle I have, it is real well worn and relatively comfy.

Alembical

ericmurphy
06-22-2004, 06:19 PM
My butt likes the basic Flite ti. I have it on 5 road bikes.

I've been curious about the Arione but why fix something which aint broke?

I felt the same way, until I actually rode on the Arione. Now I'm a convert (but try not to be too obnoxious about it).