PDA

View Full Version : Hotter N' Hell 100

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Any forumites going to Wichita Falls TX for this years Hotter N Hell? I hadn't given it much thought this year so I didn't yet have a room and have just booked one in nearby Bowie TX (45 miles).

Anyone here going to this yrs HHH ?

Michael Maddox
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
"One false move, and you're just another statistic in the Hell of the West."

Wish I could, but I can't, so I ain't.

Chris
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
"Sounds dangerous. I hope you survive"

Erik.Lazdins
07-09-2007, 08:18 PM
A couple years ago it only hit 85. Last year it was over 100 and they shut the route.

Many of my riding friends do this ride - always a huge turnout 7,000 riders or so.

I'm a cold weather guy myself.

Birddog
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Last year was not the hottest, but it got hot way earlier and that's why they closed the gates early. Also there was about 11,000 riders, not a record but close. It just wouldn't be right celebrating the last weekend of August anyplace but Wichita Falls Texas. Yes I'm going.

Birddog

cuda2k
07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm planning on going, and crossing my fingers that my Serotta is ready to make the trip with me. The painter should have the the frame ready for me by the end of the month so I'll have a couple weeks to get it built up and tested before heading out.

-dustin
07-09-2007, 11:38 PM
i'll likely be doing road support.

Smiley
07-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Last time I did it it was 104 F with no frikkin shade on the course. BRING a camel back and DRINK and hydrate baby, cause if at the first rest stop you don't need to pee your in trouble. Best of luck and get some great steaks at McBrides afterwards.

ps: I can be convinced to come and do this ride again if somebody tells me where I can get a room !

Birddog
07-10-2007, 06:14 AM
and get some great steaks at McBrides afterwards.
McBrides served it's last steak on HHH ride day last year. The Pioneers are still in business though.

Birddog

Steelhead
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Last time I did it it was 104 F with no frikkin shade on the course. BRING a camel back and DRINK and hydrate baby, cause if at the first rest stop you don't need to pee your in trouble. Best of luck and get some great steaks at McBrides afterwards.

ps: I can be convinced to come and do this ride again if somebody tells me where I can get a room !

There are no rooms left in town, but I was able to get a king non-smoking room at a Days Inn in nearby Bowie TX, 45 miles away.

The rate was $70 and when I asked the guy if they had a rate for HHH weekend, he said yes that was it and that was why it was SO HIGH. Ha! I've been in Austin too long if that is considered high. :)

1happygirl
07-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I try to go every year, but life and working get in the way. It has always been fun every year I have gone. Even though I don't ride far, I always seem to find someone with an interesting story to tell. In fact, some of the people I have ridden with I have remained in contact with though the years. I am planning to go this year.

Because of the accomodation problem, unless you schedule a year in advance, good luck on finding a place to stay. I usually have to drive in, ride, and drive out due to not knowing my work schedule and if I'll get to go.
Locals usually have a place for you in their homes. Some people host every year. Some are free, some families ask a donation to their favorite charity. Contact the # on the hh100.org website and they can usually hook you up.

I second the parts about hydration, no matter how far you go. I have seen some in shape people die on the ride. Literally.

billrick
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I've stayed with families before and it is great. Also, there is a military hotel on the Air Force base, if you are active duty or retired military. And you can always camp out at the convention center.

As far as hydration goes, this is the place where they INVENTED the Camelback! Seriously, they used an IV bag and medical tubing. Love this ride, wish I was going this year.

Have fun and stay cool, y'all.

:)

Steelhead
07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Just uploaded my registration form and I've got a room booked in nearby Bowie TX, so its ON for this year. Another hot hundred - My two buddies are riding their rando bikes in the 100K and we'll all be hanging out at the expo and dinner the night before. One of them is gonna have to drive us back to Bowie after the ride - I'll be crashed out in the backseat !