PDA

View Full Version : Looking for interesting routes

Ginger
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm heading out to Deerfield MA for the D2R2. I was contemplating going *somewhere* and riding *something* self supported for about six days afterwards. I have a few ideas but I'm looking for more.

Route requirements:
No more than one day's drive from Deerfield.
Road, rail trail, or easy trail (I'll have my Kirk, not a mtb)
I prefer a loop rather than an out and back.
A base camp with plenty of local riding is possible too...but I've done NC several years...(so Asheville is out...)
Be gentle! I'm probably not looking for many 100 mile days. True, it's only six days...I won't have that much stuff with me. (For those who have seen my car on vacation...I pack much much lighter with a backpack or a bike!)

Bradford
07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
A loop around Lake Champlain is nice. I did it a few years ago and liked it.

I'd start and end in Burlington, VT. You can stretch it out as much as you want into Vermont if you need extra days.

I'd also consider a loop in the Adirondaks. Great riding and a great part of the country to see. Certainly plenty of places to camp or little motels. My riding there has been a base camp type of thing from around Tupper Lake, but it couldn't be that hard to figure out a loop. And as an added bonus, you can swing by the Serotta factory on the way.

A couple of years ago I did a trip up the Maine coast and back from Camden Maine to Campebella Island. A really nice ride, but there isn't a flat spot in the state, so you will be going up and down the whole way.

If you are willing to stretch the concept of a day's drive as far as you can, a world class ride is in your grasp. You would have to drive Bar Harbor and catch a ferry to Nova Scotia, then drive 3 hours, but at the end you would find Cape Breton Island, which is a fantastic loop. Probably a bit far of a drive and a ride, but you will find no better riding in North America.

It's a great part of the country with plenty of riding, you will enjoy yourself.

Tom
07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Lots of good riding - go east and you go up and down, go along the lake and you don't. There's usually a fair amount going on in town and around for eats and music and art if you're into that kind of thing. And in general Vermonters just have a really good attitude. If they don't it's because they're from somewhere else originally. Heh heh.

samcat
07-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Wonderful riding...

PH

Kevan
07-08-2007, 07:16 AM
home to Tanglewood. I've got a loop route that is about 35 miles long and goes through some of the quietest, prettiest, countryside you'd ever hope to ride. Why not mix the day with a ride and then some music? Check out Tanglewood's schedule. I also have the names of some local inns that love us cyclists. You got my PM.

CNY rider
07-08-2007, 07:41 AM
I've ridden several summers worth of rides from Burlington and I recommend it highly.

The riding in upstate NY is also great. I'm near Cooperstown and would be happy to give route suggestions or hook up for a day's ride if you were coming through this way.

If you are considering this area try to get a copy of Dr. Dennis Savoie's book Cranks from Coooperstown, which has many great local rides of all types and distances.

stevep
07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
id head to vt...hit a few of the gaps, some of the flat stuff... nice, not a lot of cars.
just got back from middlebury area...nice riding.

soulspinner
07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Wonderful riding...

PH

What he said

scrooge
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
What he said

+2. My in laws live near there, and it's great....too bad we moved and can't take bikes there anymore.

palincss
07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
How about the Hudson Valley in NY? This is one of the best sites listing routes I've ever seen
http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/ It's well under a day's drive from Deerfield.

Richard
07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
If you decide on Ulster County -- Hudson Valley and the Catskills, contact me and I can amp out any number of routes for you. Most are beautiful and as hard or easy as you like.

92degrees
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Just stay around Amherst/Northampton? Good riding, food, entertainment. PM if you want suggestions. Northampton Cycling Club has excellent rides on Weds, Thurs, and Sat including women's only if that's yer thing.

shoe
07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
ginger you should come to new jersey ...we are really lucky to have so few people living here..........dave..i'll miss you guys on the deerfield this year...

Ginger
07-09-2007, 02:38 PM
But Dave...you'll be in Paris!

:)

EDS
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Go big green!