PDA

View Full Version : Conquering your demons, Marlu Ridge

Smiley
07-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I have done Marlu Ridge about 3 times before today's 48 mile ride, once on a tandem and today on my Steel Uniscasi Serotta. This is + 1 mile climb just outside of Fredrick MD and decends down for the same distance. The hard way up to me is the best way to climb this mountain since climbing it the OTHER reverse way presents a challenging hands on the brakes decent. Well I did quite well today as you start this climb in the 39 X 27 and you pray. Its steep to start with then about halfway it lulls you to a false sense of comfort before it takes off again skyward. You really breathe heavy for that last 100 yards or so and your putting the pressure to the pedals the whole way. By the time you get to the top the road goes straight back down but your so tired you really need to control yourself while you regain your breath.
I have done worse and the mother of all climbs that comes to mind is Spiers Falls in Saratoga Falls area, I think that bad boy is + 2 miles high and the drop off to me with the twisties going down is like your falling off a ledge with each bend in the road. SPOKE passing me on the right screaming was no comfort.
So what demon do you plan to defeat this year :banana:

Sandy
07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
:) Man,

"What demon do you plan to defeat this year?"

I don't know if I will defeat the demon, but I will try. Defeating the demon, for me, will be a process, not necessarily being completed by the end of this year, but by next year if possible, at all. It is given in a list format, with the actual DEMON being the aggregate of the list.

1. Hill Demon- Be able to climb hills adequately so that I am no longer dropped by almost everyone I ride with.

2. Weight Demon- Finally eliminate my excessive weight- Get down to 185 from a high of 240 a few months ago, 225 -2 weeks ago, and 218 today.

3. Major Fatigue/energy Demon- Always at least tangentially influencing every ride, sometimes causing a major performance impact during the ride.

4. Confidence Demon- Lack of confidence in my ability to keep up with others in a ride.

5. Age Demon- At 66, belief that perhaps I am just too old to improve.

7. Endurance Demon- Lack of endurance and thinking that I will never get it back.

8. Expectation Demon- The need by me to totally accept that other cyclists simply have differing goals, demands, and focus during a ride. Do not expect other cyclists to have my ideas relative to group riding dynamics and interactions, especially those related to being dropped on a group ride. Possess acceptance,sensitivitly, respect, and tolerance for all.

So put it all together, :) man, and I call it Sandy's Cycling Demon.

I have both intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to beat Sandy's Cycling Demon.

Sand Man

Rapid Tourist
07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I would have been riding it too, but I got SICK. No riding for me this weekend, instead I'll spend the weekend hacking up my lungs here at home. Congratulations! That's a bautiful ride, with one bad climb, but the rest is very very nice.

But, I'm in training for my first organized century in years. I'm told its a very hilly 100 miles in Berryville, VA in September, so I"m hoping to be able to do that with some amount of pride left over at the end.

palincss
07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
But, I'm in training for my first organized century in years. I'm told its a very hilly 100 miles in Berryville, VA in September, so I"m hoping to be able to do that with some amount of pride left over at the end.

If you're talking about the Potomac Pedalers PP100 it most certainly is NOT "very hilly". In fact, I wouldn't call it "hilly" at all. It's rolling, and by Shenandoah Valley standards, gently rolling at that.

There's some seriously aggressive rolling terrain in the Shenandoah Valley, where it's constantly up-down-up-down and you don't get to scorch down and power up the roller coaster uphill, but rather have to downshift all the way, grind it out, crest, upshift and zoom down, repeat hundreds of times all day long.

The PP100 route has none of that. This route http://www.routeslip.com/routes/5726 is very close to the first half of the PP100. It only has 2100 feet of climbing for 58 miles. The second half, on the other side of Rt 15 over towards White Post, is a bit tougher. There's a fair amount of zoom down - grind up, and once you cross back to Millwood and take the gentle face of Tilthammer Mill, there's a modestly tough series of short climbs on Clay Hill Rd, but literally nothing you can point to as a serious hill.

You don't have to take my word for this, although you should, since I've ridden it quite a few times now over the years; you can fly the route with Google Earth and see for yourself : http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=273517

Of course, you don't have to have "real hills" to end up with a lot of climbing. Last year, a day after a rip-snorter storm, I did the Team Snow Valley's Bay Country Century. As it was raining all day, I only did the 100km. There wasn't one single hill you could point to on the entire ride, but there was 4,900 feet of climbing for the 100km. ( Here's the route: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/6388 )

But if you want a hilly century, go to Thurmont on Sept. 8, 2007 and ride BBC's Civil War Century. That is hilly. Really hilly. Miles at a time, climbing real mountains hilly. Beautiful, too, and a very well run ride. Here's a link to photos of last year's ride: http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwcpicsb

Rapid Tourist
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Palincss, you are the best, and thanks. Are you going to do the PPTC century?

Smiley
07-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Steve why do we need google earth when we have you :) The Civil War Century is the BEST ! Lets do that one instead of the PPTC wimpy one :banana:

znfdl
07-07-2007, 07:31 PM

I would be happy to pull you for the first 99 miles ;)

Smiley
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I would be happy to pull you for the first 99 miles ;)
Are you for hire now Red Wine guy :) Where were you today when I needed your wheel !

slugbottle
07-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Quadzilla
http://www.rochesterbicyclingclub.com/ultra/flindex.htm

Dave B
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I have done Marlu Ridge about 3 times before today's 48 mile ride, once on a tandem and today on my Steel Uniscasi Serotta. This is + 1 mile climb just outside of Fredrick MD and decends down for the same distance. The hard way up to me is the best way to climb this mountain since climbing it the OTHER reverse way presents a challenging hands on the brakes decent. Well I did quite well today as you start this climb in the 39 X 27 and you pray. Its steep to start with then about halfway it lulls you to a false sense of comfort before it takes off again skyward. You really breathe heavy for that last 100 yards or so and your putting the pressure to the pedals the whole way. By the time you get to the top the road goes straight back down but your so tired you really need to control yourself while you regain your breath.
I have done worse and the mother of all climbs that comes to mind is Spiers Falls in Saratoga Falls area, I think that bad boy is + 2 miles high and the drop off to me with the twisties going down is like your falling off a ledge with each bend in the road. SPOKE passing me on the right screaming was no comfort.

I spent a summer working near Fredrick.

At a Jewish Boys camp..Camp Airy. Did some riding out there up some horrible hill towards Camp David. Stopped with my buddy and was taking pics of the sign. Until a Marine with a M-16 told me to move on. :D

Ended up getting in tons of trouble when I hiked a bunch of teenagers into restricted area. Was cool until i heard a round chambered in a machine gun.

My boss acted pissed, but loved telling the story.

Anyway great riding out there.

Prez

palincss
07-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I am indeed. I'm also going to do the Amish 100, which is back, thanks to Pax Velo. I may try again to do the Bay Country Century, and perhaps this time I may actually make it to 100 mi rather than 100km (twice shortened because of rain, once some kind of tendonitis).

Another local century well worth doing if you're in the neighborhood that weekend is Oxon Hill's Indian Head 100. I'm typically not in the neighborhood, as it's the same weekend as the Great Peanut Tour (which also conflicts with the Civil War Century).

There certainly are some wonderful centuries in our area in September!

palincss
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Steve why do we need google earth when we have you :) The Civil War Century is the BEST ! Lets do that one instead of the PPTC wimpy one :banana:

You do not have to choose; you can do them both.

palincss
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Quadzilla
http://www.rochesterbicyclingclub.com/ultra/flindex.htm

D2R2 08/25/07- tougher, even though it's only 107 miles? We could actually get an authoritative answer right here.
http://newhorizonsbikes.com/page.cfm?PageID=347

jeffg
07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
:) Man,

"What demon do you plan to defeat this year?"

I don't know if I will defeat the demon, but I will try. Defeating the demon, for me, will be a process, not necessarily being completed by the end of this year, but by next year if possible, at all. It is given in a list format, with the actual DEMON being the aggregate of the list.

1. Hill Demon- Be able to climb hills adequately so that I am no longer dropped by almost everyone I ride with.

2. Weight Demon- Finally eliminate my excessive weight- Get down to 185 from a high of 240 a few months ago, 225 -2 weeks ago, and 218 today.

3. Major Fatigue/energy Demon- Always at least tangentially influencing every ride, sometimes causing a major performance impact during the ride.

4. Confidence Demon- Lack of confidence in my ability to keep up with others in a ride.

5. Age Demon- At 66, belief that perhaps I am just too old to improve.

7. Endurance Demon- Lack of endurance and thinking that I will never get it back.

8. Expectation Demon- The need by me to totally accept that other cyclists simply have differing goals, demands, and focus during a ride. Do not expect other cyclists to have my ideas relative to group riding dynamics and interactions, especially those related to being dropped on a group ride. Possess acceptance,sensitivitly, respect, and tolerance for all.

So put it all together, :) man, and I call it Sandy's Cycling Demon.

I have both intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to beat Sandy's Cycling Demon.

Sand Man

You will do it.

I only wish I could ride with you once in a while.

I have a weight demon currently, mostly due to stress (illness in the family, new job and move, etc.)

So, I know I will suffer more on the bike. So what? The only way out is through.

I finished the Terrible Two (200 miles & 15,000 feet of climbing), the GF Pantani (Gavia & Mortirolo) and the Maratona dles Dolomites (14,000 feet of climbing in 80 miles) back-to-back. Did I suffer? You bet Was I slower than I would have liked? You bet. Am I glad I did it? You bet

I now know I can do these things and just need to lose some weight.
If you come to CA in the winter (or anytime) for some training I promise you can stay with us (as long as you don't mind little kids) and never be dropped (at least by me).

Don't ride with groups. Ride with buddies

Sandy
07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your genuine kindness. You have exhibited such here on numerous occasions. I would love to do that one day. Your invitation iw genuinely appreciated. Maybe one day, I will travel across the USA. If so, you are on!!

Sandy

PS- Did I read 14,000 feet of climbing in 80 miles? Plus double century.... plus.....Now that is super impressive, to say the least!

JonnyComeLately
07-08-2007, 07:32 AM

MarLu, when done the hard way, is indeed a bear. Your description matched my experience from a couple weeks ago dead on. I don't know what the grade is for the last 200 yards or so, but it is quite a knee-buster, even in my lowest gear! I'm training for another really hilly century (the Cheat Mountain Challenge in WV August 19 http://www.wvcf.org/cmc/), so I expect I'll be back out there doing battle with MarLu again before too long. :)

Were you with the PPTC ride yesterday? I saw they were doing that climb.

oldmill
07-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Does anyone have links to the Civil War or Amish century? One of these days I may have to ride outside of Rock Creek Park, just to remember what it's like out there.

MarleyMon
07-08-2007, 08:52 AM
My current challenge is Bear Wallow Hill in Brown County, IN, just east of Beanblossom.
Its the 2nd highest point in Brown County at 1033'. The lead up is flat and the grade is brutal.
It has knocked me off the bike twice in 36 x 25.
The area is full of big rollers and is great fun, but a couple of the hills are by themselves and very steep.
Other than that I am bothered only by Sandy's #1-4 & 7-8. Age is just a number!

Rapid Tourist
07-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm up for the civil war century, who's coming with me? Sounds wonderful.

I have a new name for Palincss--"LinkMan", that's a lot easier to pronounce than "palincss" anyway. Thanks, steve, for all this great info.

oldmill
07-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Whoops - just noticed Steve's BBC link. Count me in for the Civil War century. I've wanted to do this one for a while

Smiley
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
MarLu, when done the hard way, is indeed a bear. Your description matched my experience from a couple weeks ago dead on. I don't know what the grade is for the last 200 yards or so, but it is quite a knee-buster, even in my lowest gear! I'm training for another really hilly century (the Cheat Mountain Challenge in WV August 19 http://www.wvcf.org/cmc/), so I expect I'll be back out there doing battle with MarLu again before too long. :)

Were you with the PPTC ride yesterday? I saw they were doing that climb.

Yes and we did Flint Hill too but after Marlu everything seems easy :)

palincss
07-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Does anyone have links to the Civil War or Amish century? One of these days I may have to ride outside of Rock Creek Park, just to remember what it's like out there.

Amish 100 (Sept. 22, 2007) http://www.paxvelo.com/amish100.htm
Civil War Century (Sept. 8, 2007) registration: http://active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1441102