PDA

View Full Version : Car Racks for Tandems

93legendti
07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I am trying to avoid a roof rack for our tandem. Years ago I had a rear rack (can't remember the make) and took the wheels off and transported the tandem on the back of our SUV. It worked fine.

Are there any good rear bumper/"trunk" mount racks that are suitable for tandems? I just bought a Saris Bones 3 and was disappointed to read the manual and find out it is not "safe" for tandems.

Smiley
07-07-2007, 12:48 PM
A modified Hollywood rack with a Rocky Mount tandem tray attached , e-mail me and I will send you a photo, this attached to a trailer hitch on the rear of the car , works perfectly

Orin
07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Check out ATOC/Draftmaster

http://www.draftmaster.com/t.html for a hitch mounted tandem rack.

It's hard to beat ATOC's Tandem Topper for a roof mounted rack (also sold by Thule I believe).

Orin.

RPS
07-07-2007, 06:17 PM
It's hard to beat ATOC's Tandem Topper for a roof mounted rack ....snipped.....Should check application when using smaller tandems with tall vehicles. Sometimes the fork will not reach the rack's mount without the tandem first hitting the vehicle. Cars are usually not a problem, but tall SUVs can be.

Orin
07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Should check application when using smaller tandems with tall vehicles. Sometimes the fork will not reach the rack's mount without the tandem first hitting the vehicle. Cars are usually not a problem, but tall SUVs can be.

True... it's a pain getting a tandem up on an SUV whatever rack you are using though. Had plenty of experience a couple of weeks ago on a tour with a Tandem Topper on a Ford Explorer.

Even on a Prius (you thought that couldn't be done huh?), you have to open the door and position the cranks carefully...

Orin.

RPS
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
True... it's a pain getting a tandem up on an SUV whatever rack you are using though. Had plenty of experience a couple of weeks ago on a tour with a Tandem Topper on a Ford Explorer.

Even on a Prius (you thought that couldn't be done huh?), you have to open the door and position the cranks carefully...

Orin.Orin, I normally load my tandems by myself on top of a CR-V; which is not all that tall as SUVs go. My Co-Motion only weighs about 30 pounds so I can lift it easily, placing the rear wheel in the wheel tray first, and then place the fork in the mount. My Cannondale weighs about 37 pounds making it a little more difficult, but not too bad.

Loading either tandem on a lower car is much easier by comparison.