PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Need On Crank Replacement

CT Rider
07-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I have decided to replace the Campy Record Crankset in my Fierte IT with the updated Campy UT Compact Crankset but need help from you techies out there...

The Campy Installation Sheet states the desired method for installing the end caps is to use Loctite 222 (Mild Thread Locker) on the threads before installation into the frame. I have always been told to use Anti-Sieze compund when installing botton brackets into a titanium frame.

So what do I do? A) Use the Loctite 222, B) Use the Anti-Sieze, C) Use both or D) Any other option.

Thanks in advance for any help!

mcteague
07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Loctite is only required for the UT installation if you thread the cups in by hand. Using the correct tool and torque wrench all that is needed is a little grease.

Tim McTeague

SoCalSteve
07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I have decided to replace the Campy Record Crankset in my Fierte IT with the updated Campy UT Compact Crankset but need help from you techies out there...

The Campy Installation Sheet states the desired method for installing the end caps is to use Loctite 222 (Mild Thread Locker) on the threads before installation into the frame. I have always been told to use Anti-Sieze compund when installing botton brackets into a titanium frame.
So what do I do? A) Use the Loctite 222, B) Use the Anti-Sieze, C) Use both or D) Any other option.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You have been told correctly.

I think when you are dealing with Italian threading, the wives tales come out in droves on what to use and how to use it. I have been told so many different things, it would make your head spin!!!

English threading in Ti will require only anti-seize. If you feel really motivated, you can use some white plumbers tape as well. But, with the outboard bearing bottom brackets, it may be overkill.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Steve

PS: I do believe that there is a "Universal" tool for threading ALL outboard bearing bottom brackets. (it comes with the Dura Ace crankset) and Park makes a really nice one. I am 99.999 % sure that you do NOT need a special "Campy" tool for this.

Bill Bove
07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
But you can get a special Campy tool if you want... the Park, Shimano and Pedro's work just fine.

CT Rider
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Using the correct tool and torque wrench all that is needed is a little grease.

The correct tool (whether it be Campy or ParK) is a spline with a handle. How can I get accurate torque with this type of tool since it cannot be used with a torque wrench?

jbl
07-07-2007, 05:57 PM
The correct tool (whether it be Campy or ParK) is a spline with a handle. How can I get accurate torque with this type of tool since it cannot be used with a torque wrench?

Park now makes a bit for installing those outboard cups that will work with a torque wrench. It's the BBT-19.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT%2D19

CT Rider
07-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks to all for the help! Looks like the Park BBT-19 Tool and some Anti-Sieze on the Overboard Cups are the way to go.

Jeff N.
07-08-2007, 08:39 AM
For me, the same tool/wrench used for the DA BB works just fine on the Campy cups. All I do is slather some grease on both the cup threads and frame threads, and screw 'em on. They stay put and remove without problemo. Jeff N.