PDA

View Full Version : Mildly OT: Ah...Bach!

Kevan
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Some of you folk might remember that claim from the TV series "MASH", when Radar O'Reilly was looking to do some serious woo. Well, a truer recognition could never be said of JS. Maybe it's the douple IPA I'm enjoying while listening, but folks you owe it to your ears to give this guy a try. I've just loaded onto my iPod a Deutsche Grammophon production of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin. And frankly....this music represents what is perfectly right with this world.

Everyday is a struggle of one kind or another, but music at its purist has to be given credit for cleansing the soul and refilling us with hope. Anyway, this particular music, it's sorta like finishing a terrific bike ride without the saddle sores.

Please...give it a try.

rounder
07-06-2007, 10:26 PM
The basic stuff is also very good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvDtWeyO5c

medici
07-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Bach is sublime. I heard the chaconne in concert some years back. It was all you could ask of music. Truly transcending.

Try the Suites for Solo Cello as well, although I'm sure you probably have. The Casals version is as good as any of them -- maybe better.

Thanks for the reminder, Kevan. I'll put them on Sunday morning for another listen.

Pete

saab2000
07-07-2007, 06:34 AM
A few years ago while driving through Eisenach in Germany with my sister we stopped at Bach's house. I am not much into classical music, but this place was fascinating. The real deal. Worth every cent.

Additionally, there was the castle there too. This castle housed Martin Luther for a time. He had an enormous impact on society which carries through to this day.

mcteague
07-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Ah Bach indeed. J.S. Bach is my favorite composer and has so many great works from which to choose. His best stuff is sublime and his worst is still good. If I ever put on a Bach disk in a sour mood things change for the better shortly thereafter.

Cello Suites
Mass in B Minor
Magnificat
Brandenburg Concertos
Orchestral Suites
Art of the Fugue
St. John Passion
Lute Suites
etc.,etc.,etc.

http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/bachjs.html

Tim McTeague

Ken Robb
07-07-2007, 11:45 AM
and if you like Johann don't forget G.F. Handel, and not just Messiah. He did so much good work.

Leslie being an organist means we have a huge collection of these guys' work.