PDA

View Full Version : Take everyday as a gift

Serotta PETE
07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Just found out today that a friend of 25 years only has a month to live. He was diagnosed with mounth cancer about four years ago. He fought it and the pain with everything he had, but it has not been enough.

Six months before he was diagnosed, we were at his daughters (my daughters childhood friend) wedding to a wonderful newly graduated Lt at West Point. Who would have ever thought how quickly life can change.
He, (Mike) still has found time for his family and friends - no matter how much pain he is in.

He has not had solid food in over 3 years and half his jaw/mounth was cut out over two years ago. Mike NEVER complained and was always there for his family and friends. I still remember the biggest smile a year ago when he got to hold his first grandchild.

In addition with all his troubles, he came over 600 miles to my daughters wedding last summer. He is quite a man and a gentleman. I could go on telling stories about how unselfish he is and what an honor it is to have him as a friend.

As we stress and sometimes complain about our daily lives, we need to try and keep it all in perspective. Be thankful for the time and gifts that we have. Keep our loved ones and dear firends close, tellng them OFTEN how much we appreciate them.

Thanks for reading.......and please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

ps - he never smoked, was always athletic and an avid runner. (never could get him into biking)

PETE

SoCalSteve
07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and you (for being such a good friend to him all these years)...

Steve

1centaur
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Congratulations to you, Pete, for being both a good friend for so many years and for appreciating his nobility while he is here. I am sure your admiration for him gives both him and his family some joy that many of us will never have.

titans
07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Pete,

We met once at our friendly neighborhood bike shop. My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer almost 2 Septembers ago...two weeks later after her operation my brother was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth. He too had part of his jaw removed. Both are in their early 50s and are still alive today. They have a much more appreciation of life than most healthy people who take it for granted that they will always wake up the next day. Every day you open your eyes its a gift. I share in your pain.

Take care,

Tommie

dbrk
07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
To have such a friend is one of life's true blessings. Like you, Pete.

Take care, okay?

dbrk

chuckroast
07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Hey thanks for the perspective. Very timely and relevant.

bearrodwell
07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Pete,

Very nicely spoken. My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and to you. I know you're hurting too. I'm a survior & I know first hand what it's like to fight the fight. It truely is a wicked diease. Everyday for me now is a great day! Even though there appears to be some distance between the two of you, you have remained a true and loyal friend. That is all anybody can ask for. When you think of him just remember the good times.

Take care and God Bless!

Ginger
07-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Pete,
Thanks for the words. I'll keep your friend, his family, and your family in my thoughts.

Mary Ann

Ahneida Ride
07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Pete.

I will keep your friend in my prayers.

Ray

rounder
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Pete Mckeon]Just found out today that a friend of 25 years only has a month to live. He was diagnosed with mounth cancer about four years ago. He fought it and the pain with everything he had, but it has not been enough.

wow...a month to live.

Hope that your friend exceeds all expectations and lives for a long long time.

chakatrain
07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
"Take everyday as a gift."

Amen to that.

My thoughts are with you and your friend. I lost my mom to cancer a number of years back. I am eternally grateful for the chance to have said "goodbye" and hope you find grace and love in that opportunity, as hard as it is.

RIHans
07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Thank goodness I, and my friends, still get on the damn bike most every day. We, and some of you, are fighting father time...One day at a time. And I ain't going down without a fight!
The best thing is, the harder I ride, (and sometimes I feel like crap), I always feel better the next day.
And it puts me in a better place...at home, at work, everywhere!

george
07-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Take everyday as a gift ...the title of this thread...
"every day is a gift, that's why its called the present"

Tom Byrnes
07-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Pete,

Thank you for your post and wise words. Debbie and my thoughts and prayers are with your friend Mike and his family and with you. He's lucky to have a good friend like you.

I hope he proves his doctor wrong.

Tom

Len J
07-07-2007, 07:13 AM
to hear this Pete.

My thoughts & prayers are with all of you.

I think I'll go hug the one's I love.

Len

Pete Serotta
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. We woke up this morning to a phone call. Yes, Mike took a turn for the worse and died last night.

I feel so bad for his family. His daughter was to go from Fort Bragg with the baby on Monday to see him. I and the family are on our way to NJ soon,

Thanks again for the notes......

PETE

michael white
07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Pete,

a life with true friendships is a blessed life. It sounds like a graceful passing.
sorry for your own pain and loss. I know it well.

best,

mw

Karin Kirk
07-07-2007, 11:31 PM
So sorry Pete,

Thanks for the update and for sharing the story with us. Your message about every day being a gift is terrific - thank you for that reminder.
Hang in there and know that we're all thinking of you.

-Karin

djg
07-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Pete

That's terrible news and I'm sorry to hear it.

A good friend's brother has terminal cancer in his forties -- a wife, little kids, and lots of people who care. There's nothing decent or fair about it.

My sympathies to all.

Dan

Dekonick
07-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Cancer is the bane of mankind. There is no disease as cruel that I know of...

My thoughts and prayers go with you and your friend. Hopefully the doc's are wrong.

Bummer.

Sandy
07-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Pete,

Places a perspective and balance on what is and what is not important in life. Hope your friend's quality of life is as good as possible. Travelling 600 miles to go to your daughter's wedding says a great deal about him and your friendship. Anyone sharing a friendship with you is most fortunate.

Bless him, his family, and his friends.

Sandy