PDA

View Full Version : Please Advise: Best Frameset Shipping Rates

fstrthnu
07-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Good Morning,

Perhaps someone can tell me the best shipping company to use for shipping a frameset sized box Internationally.

The box will go from New England to Serbia. I tried all the various companies and their respective calculators. USPS had the best rates but I don't think they will ship that size box. Perhaps I am wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Justin

regularguy412
07-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that FedEx will ship that size to just about anywhere. That's the company which delivered my CSI frame and fork back to my LBS after the Serotta repaint. I don't think the size would matter, you'd just have to pay for distance.

Mike in AR

zap
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
In addition to FedEx, I would also recommend that you get a quote from DHL.
DHL is typically more expensive but I found them to be the most reliable service for many of the hard to find places in Europe. Not sure what their current size restrictions are.

H.Frank Beshear
07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Justin, I sent a 59cm frame to Switzerland and used USPS. I had to cut the box down a little to meet the size requirements and remove the fork but it all fit and they have the best rates by far. Good luck with it. Frank

fstrthnu
07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Justin, I sent a 59cm frame to Switzerland and used USPS. I had to cut the box down a little to meet the size requirements and remove the fork but it all fit and they have the best rates by far. Good luck with it. Frank

Frank,

That's amazing. Your saying you got a f+f to fit within the (from USPS):

"Use “Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package equals 84 inches or less and it is less than 1 cubic foot."

-dimensions listed above?

What size frame was it?

Thank You,
Justin

Serotta_Andrew
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Frank,

That's amazing. Your saying you got a f+f to fit within the (from USPS):

"Use “Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package equals 84 inches or less and it is less than 1 cubic foot."

-dimensions listed above?

What size frame was it?

Thank You,
Justin

I believe the total number for shipping a package is 108 inches but a little bit of info...if the box is oversized you can still ship the box but pay an oversize fee. Really not too much more! For the faster quick delivery companies, go with DHL if you are sending international.

Polyglot
07-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Go here to get all the relevant shipping conditions for USPS to Serbia.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ps.20.24.htm#ep3508059

You can indeed readily ship with USPS to Serbia, but you need to do so using Global Express Guaranteed which is indeed costly. I have shipped many complete bikes in 108 postal inch boxes.

There aren't many frames that will fit into a 79 postal inch box, but it is not totally impossible with some modern extreme sloping frames.

musgravecycles
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Prolly USPS (or DHL if they deliver there), UPS is the most expensive.

I first read your post as "Siberia" and though to myself what the he!! is he shipping a bike to Siberia for... :rolleyes: It's late...

swoop
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
hey justin.. i've had some horrible ups experiences. before you reduce the size of the box.. make sure you are clear about how many inches of clearance the require the box to offer the packed object. i've had them destroy two bikes that we're uber-packed. i won the settlement but they fought me and dragged their feet.. and tried to exploit every possibe loophole in their favor.

make sure they sign off on the box, and way its packed, etc. because they will defy ethics and logic to try and flick you.

Ahneida Ride
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
hey justin.. i've had some horrible ups experiences. before you reduce the size of the box.. make sure you are clear about how many inches of clearance the require the box to offer the packed object. I've had them destroy two bikes that we're uber-packed. i won the settlement but they fought me and dragged their feet.. and tried to exploit every possible loophole in their favor.

make sure they sign off on the box, and way its packed, etc. because they will defy ethics and logic to try and flick you.

ups uses Gorilla's to move boxes around. Avoid ups at all costs.

If you want it to arrive safely. Pay another service.