PDA

View Full Version : Interesting encounter...

dave thompson
07-06-2007, 12:29 AM
My wife and I took a day off Tuesday to take our camper and bikes to an RV park in Idaho so we could ride the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes the next day. On the way over, while crossing Fourth of July Pass on I-90, we noticed a cyclist on a fully loader tourer taking a rest. We drove on, set up camp at the park and went to dinner. While eating, the cyclist we had seen came in the restaurant. We sort of recognized him as the solitary cyclist on the pass and asked him to join us and tell of his trip. Turns out he's an elementary school teacher from Albany, New York. He flew he and his bike out to Washington, dipped his wheels in the Pacific Ocean and will ride 'till he can dip his wheels in the Atlantic near Boston. He's riding solo and unsupported! Moteling it when he can, tenting it when necessary. A nice guy and not one you would pick from a crowd as being this kind of hardy adventurer.

We spent an interesting hour with him, fascinated by his stories and huge continuing adventure. He's got a blog: http://www.fishericross.blogspot.com/ (We're in it! Our 15 seconds of fame.) If you feel so inclined, post a comment or two on his blog and wish him well. Tell him Dave and Jodee sent you! :)

Chad Engle
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Great story, wishing him the best of luck, wind always at his back, and all that other good stuff...

SoCalSteve
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
The same, but very different...

My best friends brother in law and family have set out to do the exact same thing...

Here is their blog: http://ride2cooltheplanet.blogspot.com/

Maybe riding across America is the new black. :banana:

Steve

rdparadise
07-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Dave:

Nice to see you and the misses out in the countryside. Great to see a fellow biker doing the cross country route too. I guess being a teacher gives him the opportunity to use his summer off for the tour. Good for him and nice blogspot for this travels.

Idaho and Montana are interesting riding country. I did a Cycle America tour of Yellowstone that started in Bozeman a few years back. Great riding, although the mobile homes in Yellowstone were gigantic with little shoulder for riders like me. It was a real challenge crossing Jackson Pass into Odaho. Total potato country in the eastern part of Idaho that we rode in.

Bob

rwsaunders
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
That's a heckuva organized blog.

Dave T. paid for the dinner and beer? The guy must have looked in sorry shape, or maybe Dave was negotiating to buy his bike. What was the frame size Dave?

dave thompson
07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it wasn't 'till after dinner that I found out his bike was too small for me! :D

onekgguy
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I love this sort of thing...thanks for the link, Dave. I'd love to someday do what he's doing.

Kevin g

whitecda
07-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Lots of touring journals at: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ Makes for a great read on a cold winter night.....or a hot summer day for that matter!