PDA

View Full Version : Best aero wheels for Power Tap 24 hole hub?

Delpo
07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Would like to build a set of aero wheels clinchers to be used for racing and that can carry the Power Tap 2.4WL 24 hole hub. Any one out there really happy with their set up? All recommendations will be appreciated.

Delpo

Chris
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I had Mike Garcia build me a set of wheels around two Powertap hubs. One was a 28 hole hub and the other was 24. He used the Niobium 30 rims from his website and DT spokes. He used a serenity hub on the front. I was very pleased with the build of both sets. You can check his website out at oddsandendos.com

rinconryder
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Depending on how much you are looking to spend, you could go with a Zipp 404 or Flashpoint (Zipp's lower line). If looking to go used check the slowtwitch forum for some deals over there as a lot more aero wheels pass through over there than compared to here.

Lanternrouge
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Part of the answer depends on your budget. Reynolds Stratus or Zipp 404s would fit the bill, but be pricey. You could also buy wheels from Williams, which are a lot cheaper, and have them rebuilt around the PTap. The 404/Ptap combo is good for pretty much all conditions except for perhaps really long descents. With the cost of a Zipp rim hitting $650 now, I would explore alternatives, even though they are sort of the default choice for most people. FWIW, I've used 24 hole powertaps with a Zipp 404, 303, Blackwell 100 and Reynolds Alta. All worked fine except the Alta, but that had to do with a Reynolds issue and spokes breaking on that generation of wheels. If you're willing to shell out the bucks, get either a Reynolds Stratus or Zipp 404 setup. You will be happy once you get over how much money you've spent on a pair of wheels.

Ozz
07-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Why would you use a Powertap wheel for racing? Isn't this more of a training tool?

Serious question from the seriously ignorant......

Lanternrouge
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Why would you use a Powertap wheel for racing? Isn't this more of a training tool?

Serious question from the seriously ignorant......

It is a training tool, but once you start using one, you get addicted to being able to see all the data after every ride. In addition, having your data from races allows you to get a better idea of what's going on and where your numbers are when you're really pushing it, although you probably put out just the same on training rides anyway.

rinconryder
07-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Also helpful for a century ride where you need to pace yourself off a certain power number...easy to blow up in those by going too hard in the beginning and not leaving enough for the last 30.