PDA

View Full Version : Tubes with smooth valve stems...

SoCalSteve
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

After the recently postings of who makes the best tubes and how many people are having problems with Michelin tubes, I am just curious to know if there are any other tube maunfacturing companies that makes tubes with smooth valve stems.

I prefer these over the threaded ones as its so much easier to pull the pump head off a smooth valve stem after you've pumped up the tire.

Since I'm running at about a 75% failure rate with Michelin tubes, I think a switch may be in order.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Bud_E
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Steve,

I've had pretty good luck with the Hutchinson tubes. They have smooth valves and come in two valve lengths.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=HUTUL

(Having said that I'm destined to get 3 flats on my next ride. :crap: )

abqhudson
07-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Specialized Air-Lock.

Jim

wtex
07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
One thing to keep in mind with these, as opposed to the threaded with a collar, is they can vibrate against the rim port. It can be very annoying.

Bruce K
07-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I believe Salsa tubes have smooth stems.

BK

Bill Bove
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Forza Lightweights from J&B Importers, ask your LBS to order them. $5.00 at retail. 87g for the 48mm valve. As good as any thing at double the price.

iffyjoe
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Bontranger makes one.

Marron
07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Contis come with smooth stems.

mosca
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
The newer Specialized turbo-ultralights have a smooth stem with threading only at the very bottom. The threading doesn't protrude past the rim, but does seem to keep the stem from rattling in the hole.

jemoryl
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Steve,

I've had pretty good luck with the Hutchinson tubes. They have smooth valves and come in two valve lengths.

+1

They also seem to have a smaller diameter which helps ease the mounting process with Campy wheels.

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
REI/Novara makes one with a non-threaded stem. $4.00 each and 10% off if you buy three or more. I think the tubes are made by Kenda and branded Novara by REI.

TimD
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
REI/Novara makes one with a non-threaded stem. $4.00 each and 10% off if you buy three or more. I think the tubes are made by Kenda and branded Novara by REI.

+1

If you want the long valve stem the price is $6. I've been using them for several years now and have found them to be quite durable. Not ultralight, but not ultrafragile either :)

Of course it helps if you have an REI nearby. There are various benefits to having an REI membership (including a dividend) in addition.

I'd also +1 the reports of problems with Michelins. I have six or so A4s (?) in the garage which I'm not really interested in installing at this point.

Tailwinds
07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Since I'm running at about a 75% failure rate with Michelin tubes, I think a switch may be in order.

Yep, me, too. :crap:

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
+1

If you want the long valve stem the price is $6. I've been using them for several years now and have found them to be quite durable. Not ultralight, but not ultrafragile either :)

Of course it helps if you have an REI nearby. There are various benefits to having an REI membership (including a dividend) in addition.

I'd also +1 the reports of problems with Michelins. I have six or so A4s (?) in the garage which I'm not really interested in installing at this point.

Tim, you're right the long/lites are $6 each and still 10% off if you buy three or more.

Bill D
07-13-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm among the fans of non-threaded stems on tubes, so I was interested to read that REI is a source for these. Especially since so many people seem to be having problems with the Michelin tubes, which I've used before. But I went to my local REI today (in Phoenix), and all of the tubes they sell had the threaded stems! Drats. Guess I'll have to keep looking. The REI website shows nonthreaded stems on their tubes, but I'm hesitant to try those since the Novaras they have in the store weren't like that.

TimD
07-13-2007, 09:13 PM
They definitely sell long or short unthreaded stem Presta valve tubes, packed in brown and green boxes, and labelled "Novara". Just not in Phoenix :) Perhaps they were out of stock.

93legendti
07-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Steve,

I agree. A very nice tube.

tmanley
07-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Vittoria's stems are smooth

Steelhead
07-14-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm among the fans of non-threaded stems on tubes, so I was interested to read that REI is a source for these. Especially since so many people seem to be having problems with the Michelin tubes, which I've used before. But I went to my local REI today (in Phoenix), and all of the tubes they sell had the threaded stems! Drats. Guess I'll have to keep looking. The REI website shows nonthreaded stems on their tubes, but I'm hesitant to try those since the Novaras they have in the store weren't like that.

Order them from REI dot com, they will ship to your local store for free. If you don't like them take them back for a no questions asked return. :)

Bill D
07-17-2007, 12:30 AM
The REI saga continues.... I checked the website tonight to order some tubes, and now all of the tubes on the website have pics of threaded stems. I think I'll just ask my LBS to order some of those Forza Ultralights that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Since when is something like this so complicated?! :crap:

SoCalSteve
07-17-2007, 12:33 AM
The REI saga continues.... I checked the website tonight to order some tubes, and now all of the tubes on the website have pics of threaded stems. I think I'll just ask my LBS to order some of those Forza Ultralights that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Since when is something like this so complicated?! :crap:

Why make it so complicated?

Just buy these: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=HUTUL

I did and they are working out great!

Good luck,

Steve