PDA

View Full Version : Air Pressure Gauges

Sandy
12-26-2003, 09:11 PM
I had a Zefal air pressure gauge for several years and it seemed to work just fine. It starting to cause troubles, so I discarded it and bought a new identical gauge. It basically did not work at all. Since then, I bought a replacement for the Zefal, a new Accu-Gage, and have been borrowing Spectrum Bob's older type Zefal gauge. None of these gauges are cheap. Recently, I used all three gauges on the same tire. I got 72 psi on one, 96 psi on one, and 110 psi on the third. Wow!!! I really like to know precisely what air pressure I have in my tires. I would genuinely appreciate advice on what gauge I can buy that is consistent, accurate and durable. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Airhead Still Serotta Sandy

JohnS
12-26-2003, 09:58 PM
I believe that we had this same conversation just before the old forum ended. Any gauge is going to take several lbs out of the tire for the reading. I use a Joe Blow with the built-in gauge. I don't know how absolutely accurate it is so I just pump the tires to the same pressure every time.

Kevin
12-27-2003, 08:38 AM
I use a Wrench Force pump with a built in gauge. I have no complaints. I am not sure how accurate it is. But since I always use the same tires and always pump it to the same psi, the feel test works pretty well as a back-up. As a result of the feel test, I would say that the gauge is fairly accurate. By using the gauge on the pump I only have to deal with the air escaping once.

Kevin

theoldman
12-27-2003, 09:04 AM
I use the Topeak Digital Smarthead gauge. It appears to be accurate. No complaints.

csm
12-27-2003, 01:11 PM
air in the tires? really? does that help?

Kevin
12-27-2003, 01:25 PM
csm,

Only Sandy uses air. The rest of us use helium. It really lightens your bike.

Kevin

csm
12-27-2003, 03:28 PM
didn't someone once see an e-bay posting to that effect? a scam for some boutique wheels?