PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons. Your ride reports pls.!

Too Tall
06-21-2004, 06:07 AM
If you tuned into this soap opera late...I've been in a racing slump. Coach has me on a steady diet of endurance rides. Sat. 5 1/2 hrs. Rode 1 hrs. pretty hard with the local knuckleheads and finished with steady sub-threshold riding. Made a new friend when I hooked up with a guy I've seen racing cat 123's. He was WAY bonked and I made him drain a flask of Hammergel. Dang, that ain't character building...not no how, not no way. Sunday, rode 5 hrs. steady with 1 hr. of threshold and a few sprints to stave off boredome. What's doc call it? "Rolling my 53X15" hahaha....you bet!

And you?

pbbob
06-21-2004, 06:42 AM
5 hours sat on the 79 serotta ss 42x17.

pale scotsman
06-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Saturday - Did 25 easy, hot and humid miles.

Sunday - Fast 40 mile group ride with a new pair of Nashbar epic shorts and a couple seams ate my butt up. I mean ate it up. I've had good luck with these shorts before but this pair is on par with a hair shirt for your shorts. :crap:

Sandy
06-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Friday- Rode 42 miles with a friend.
Saturday- Wife did not feel well, so I stayed home.
Sunday- Went on a Bagel Ride with Smiley and the First Mate. Rode a little more in the area and went on a Picnic club ride- Did the ride, but did not attend the picnic. Total for day of 68 miles.

No more cicadas :) :)

Sandy

TimB
06-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Saturday, rode in the car with Sophia to the farmer's market and Home Depot. Frolicked in the back yard.

Sunday, rode 54 miles on my Gunnar fixee, if I'm going to make it across IA next month I need to get some miles in now! Felt remarkably good - helped in large part by the most beautiful weather. Maxed out at 35mph in my 42x16, so about a 166 cadence. Gerbil Boy.

Kevan
06-21-2004, 07:25 AM
Last weekend I got in 200 miles(3 days actually), this weekend only 100.

Friday's "hell bent for leather" ride got monsooned out, just as glad really, I didn't want to spend Friday night cleaning/drying a filthy/wet bike.

Saturday got to beat up on my younger/stronger nephew and knocked off a hilly 80+ miles. The young whippersnapper bonked on me for near the last 10 miles, he's been only getting in 50 milers. Even in a bonk though this is one strong guy. Felt good havng the upper hand, seen enough of his butt during our riding, it was his turn to stare at mine.

Father's Day everyone was out there riding. Cool and sunny morning, the weather couldn't have been more perfect. Alas, this boy was stuck behind the wheel running errands watching his brethren frolic as I quietly smoldered in jealousy. Finally, a window opened towards the evening and out I romped for a wonderful sunset ride, doing 20 miles.

Dr. Doofus
06-21-2004, 08:45 AM
doc's encounter with a pilot-error-engineered f-f-er gave the following week:

Tues: fun with ultracets...knew they were too good when I popped a couple around 10 at night just becuase I was bored

Wed: Ran :45 on treadmill, 1:30 on trainer.

Thurs: godawful sore, mainly from the antibiotics (for some reason, strong antbiotics make the doc's muscles get all tight, sore, and crampy...usually wake up once a night with a locked-up hamstring or quad). :45 on the EFX thingie and 1:30 on the trainer. Slept the rest of the day.

Fri: Sore, Sleep, Sleep, Food. Oh yeah, and thunder farts from the antibiotics.

Sat: Ran :45, 1:00 on trainer

Sun: 1:30 on trainer...more antibiotic-driven fumagation of the trainer room, bib shorts flapping wildly in the breeze.

Spectrum Bob
06-21-2004, 09:01 AM
I had a great Fathers Day weekend.
Saturday I did a hilly 62 mile club ride, rode part of it with Smiley. I pushed very hard, managed an 18 average for the ride. What a change, I feel like a different person on the bike. Just a year ago when I first rode with Smiley, Sandy, Flydhest and the gang before I lost that 30 pounds. I could have never have done this. Life is great after 50! I am very grateful to the wonderful and supportive friendships I have mad here on the forum, my life is so much richer.
Sunday we did a family 12 mile ride with the trail a bike to a playground in the park. I got in another 20 easy miles in after that, I did not have much left in my legs from Saturday. I finished the day with more great family stuff.

Len J
06-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Friday: Snuck in an hour ride at sunset.....Good for the soul

Saturday: 60 miles...first hald into the wind 14.8 average....Trying to stay in zone two.....God awful hard.......Last 30 with the wind.......working hard to keep my heartrate up in zone 2.

Sunday: 3 hours in Zone two....great endurance ride.....beautiful day.....great company. Met all four of my kids for a Father's day/Son's Birthday dinner.

I'd take another weekend like this.

Len

Marron
06-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Was the hour I packed up the bike on Sunday morning and headed down to Mt. Rainier again. Unlike Memorial Day, I was anticipating sun and not snow. Parked a little closer to the mountain and only rode 80 miles with about 7,800 feet of elevation gain. More intensity, less distance. This must be working because Cayouse Pass is starting to feel easy.

weisan
06-21-2004, 10:48 AM
"only rode 80 miles with about 7,800 feet of elevation gain"
- Marron, are you kidding me??!!! That would be an epic ride for me in one day of riding. :p

Glad you are improving in strength.

Ozz
06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Rode 82 miles from Toutle to Johnson Ridge, about 5 miles from Mt. St. Helens crater. 6800 ft of climbing. 1200+ riders

Spectacular ride! The highway we road along was in great shape. Perfectly smooth and no gravel or even sand on the shoulders. The only downside was that there is absolutely no shade whatsoever, and it was 80+ degrees (pushing 90 for most the day).

The ride is basically an out and back that centers on three long climbs. All uphill going in, mostly downhill going back.

RIDE PROFILE:
Mile 0: 500 ft. (Toutle)
Mile 11: 1,000 feet
Mile 24: 3,000 feet
Mile 27: 3,800 feet (Elk Rock summit)
Mile 32.5: 3,000 feet
Mile 34.2: 2,530 feet (Coldwater Creek)
Mile 37.2: 3,000 feet
Mile 41: 4,200 feet (Johnston Ridge)

There was no "typical" rider profile. There were riders on mountain bikes with knobbies wearing tennis shoes, to full-on teams. Guinness Cycling was there selling socks with proceeds going to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
(http://www.guinnesscycling.com)

Determined that "Lemond" sells a lot of bikes in the Northwest. Saw quite a few Serotta's also.

Hopefully I can post some pics later....

ericmurphy
06-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Saturday: easy (very easy) spin with my brother (he of "napkin incident" fame), 30 miles. I'm hoping to get his mileage base up so he can accompany me on my 60- and 75- mile weekend loops. I've known Mark all his life (and most of mine), and he is consistently one of the most interesting and entertaining people I've ever met. They say you can't pick your family, but if you could, I definitely would have picked him to be my brother. Derailleur cataclysms notwithstanding.

Sunday: nice, hard 60 mile loop with about 3,500 feet of elevation gain. Man, after 250 miles on it, I simply cannot get over how comfortable my Legend is. I've become used to having a sore butt (courtesy of a Flite Ti saddle) and muscular lower back pain after 60 or more miles on my Trek. But between the Fizik Arione and the Legend (and, no doubt, the DA wheels and F2 fork), the soreness after a long ride is just completely gone—vanished. Of course, my quads still hurt, but they're supposed to hurt.

SteveE
06-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Wednesday: Did the "Coastal Classic" from home with my wife and one of her friends: 70 miles, 5,000 ft of climbing. Practiced pushing big gears (42x17) up Tunitas Creek. Knees didn't get sore. Weather was great. Superb views of the ocean.

Thursday: Rode up King's Mtn., Swett Rd.(short & nasty at the beginning), and West Old La Honda. 64 miles 4,250 ft of climbing.

Saturday: Led club ride. Major climbs up Old La Honda & West Alpine (aka "all pain"). 54 miles, 4300 ft. of climbing.

Sunday: Faster-paced club ride over to Pescadero. Major climbs were Old La Honda (again!), Haskins Hill, and back up Hwy 84. Two smaller climbs on Stage Rd. Total of 84 miles, 5600 ft of climbing, average speed of 18.5 mph. for the first 78 miles. That Red Tail Ale tasted mighty good when I got home, as did the gin & tonic later, and the red wine with Father's Day dinner!

Madship
06-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Friday
I was meeting a friend so I decided on a short quick ride. From the house to the local TT course and home a 30 mile loop. Road half the TT since it's an out and back 25. Averaged 21 on the TT course and came home with a new personal best average for any ride group or solo of 19.4

Saturday
Rode the club metric route with a friend 66 miles in total took 21 minutes off of Septembers Century weekend time. 30 lbs lighter and felt much better after the ride. Didn't even need a nap. Visited my parents at lake abenake and spent half an hour canoing with my sister.

Sunday
Made a coffee and Bagle run to Uncommon Grounds in Saratoga with another friend. 35 leisurely miles before heading to Schenectady to listen to my wife play with the MCO in Central park.

larryp2
06-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Had to work all weekend. got up early today and did 40 before the office...

Dekonick
06-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Mmmmm Wish I could ride as long as everyone else... My wife is still on the war path with spandex... so I am limited to 2 hours or less (supposed to be one hour but I 'stretch' it! ) (LOL like the pun?)

Friday worked my usual 24 hour shift. Didnt get any sleep and none of the incidents were interesting. Cant have great calls every shift! Only exercise was 40 minutes on the elliptical - interrupted 3 times by 911 calls...grrr guess thats part of the job...

Saturday - had to teach ACLS to the new first year residents (part time job) It was a painful day... we worked late to make Sunday a short day. I was working on no sleep and more caffeine than the entire pro peleton...

Sunday - Day 2 of ACLS and first year residents. I feel sorry for them as they will have absolutely no sleep for the next 3+ years. Poor bastards...

We finished class early Sunday - approx 1 P.M. This allowed me to get a short ride in. Only 13 miles, but it was hills. Short cuz I was limited on time, and still am adjusting the Hors Cat. The more I ride it the more I love it. Tuesday I hope to get in 30-40 miles. What I have found with the new bike is the following: 1) my wrists are happy! The bike seems to have instant response, but is a buttery ride. It has road feel; I swear I have better feedback from the road than before even though it feels smooth -
2) It is a verrrry different ride from my steel 90's Serotta. The bike is so light that I find myself having to adjust how I handle it. Its at least 3# less than the steel bike (and thats with a B-17!)
3) having a 12-25 casette is like cheating. I am used to 12-21.
4) Campy kicks arse! - It shifts smoothly, with many more adjustments available than my older Shimano Ultegra 600... guess I should expect that considering 10 years of advancement. Only complaint is how far out the brake levers are - Its hard to grab them from the drops. Ill have to ask LBS friend if there is a way to shorten the distance.
5) Velocity Aerohead rims with Chorus hub - nice ride!

All in all my mileage is down last week and am still tweaking the new ride. I think that I will absolutely love this bike once its dialed in. Its almost there.
I hope this motivates me to ride more (it does and will), ride faster, and improve my bike skills.

Smiley - I would love to ride in Mo Co... once I am certain I wouldnt hold you up! If you dont mind a slow(er) ride, I am game!

:D

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Back to work...its another 24 hour shift.

davids
06-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Tuesday: 21 miles before work. Breathing is getting better, power and speed returning! :)

Wednesday: Plan to meet friends at 6:15. Wake up with the confused idea that we're actually meeting at 6:30. :crap: Ride 26 miles on my own...

Thursday: Day off. Take car for 60k service, go riding along the Dorchester waterfront (from Pope John Paul II park to the JFK Library and back) with my daughter, taking her across some very busy streets for the first time.

Friday: Actually meet my friends at 6:15, but flat about 1/4 mile from the parking lot! :crap: Good, good friend provides me with a spare tire after we find the 1" cut in mine, and then five of us ride paceline in a futile attempt to catch the first group. Very fast for me (22-24), and after 15 miles I'm pooped. Ride back home to end up at about 22 total miles.

Saturday: Quickly remove friend's tire from my bike so I can give to him when we meet for - Mountain biking in the Blue Hills. A nice 2 hours, lots of it on slick roots and rocks. Lots of fun! Followed shortly after by a 2 hour hike (bagging two "peaks") with my wife and daughter. Show them some of the trails we ride. Wife expresses interest in a mountain bike (!!!) Late afternoon back home; do the laundry and mount the Veloflexes...

Sunday: Fathers' Day and Blue Hill Mountain Bike Day. Back to the park with my daughter for the obstacle courses and some family loops. Then, she took me to see the new Harry Potter movie - her idea! What a great kid! :D

So, lots of riding, but not a lot of distance. More long rides on deck...

Kevin
06-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Eat your hearts out. On Father's Day I rode 3.75 miles with my five year old. She rode her bike, training wheels and all, and beat me to every street sign laughing with delight as I huffed and puffed and complained that she was too fast. When we got home, my older daughter had cooked me Eggs Benedict, with a "little" help from my wife.

The day would have been perfect except I slipped getting into the pool and broke my toe. Tomorrow I'll find out if I can ride with a broken toe.

Kevin

Dekonick
06-21-2004, 03:08 PM
You better train with that broken toe, otherwise you will never beat your kid... ;)

Marron
06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
"only rode 80 miles with about 7,800 feet of elevation gain"
- Marron, are you kidding me??!!! That would be an epic ride for me in one day of riding. :p

Glad you are improving in strength.

The "only" part refers to the fact that I had parked farther away from the initial pass a few weeks ago and added about 20 releatively flat miles. Northwersterners will recognize this as preparation for RAMROD, the one day circuit of Rainier. That's sort of an epic. The elevation gain is never super steep it just keeps going and going. The challange is somewhat mitigated by the fact the the surroundings are so beautiful.

Jack Brunk
06-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Saturday:

67 miles with 5,000 ft of climbing in the Santa Monica Mountains. Tried out a new pair of reynolds Cirro's tubular rims with Conti Sprinters. Great ride and perfect weather with coastal low clouds and no winds.

Sunday:

40 mile recovery ride with 2500 ft climbing around the Conejo valley. Getting ready for the Grand Tour double century on Saturday. Can't wait.

Jack

Moveitfred
06-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Had a weekend time trial. Not my favorite race to begin with, but add to that a general poochy feeling before this one. Got an early start time. Out on the course, folks are passing by me nuts-fast. Now my mind's getting all goofy as I'm thinking, What's going on here? Why can't I turn over the cranks? Finish the TT probably dead last in my group (don't check results). Sitting around watching others start/finish I start to get the chills. Suddendly I'm doing the full-blown shimmy-shakes and sweat is starting to churn out of my body. I get in the car, take a delirious ride home with the heater blowing the devil's breath full strength, and check into bed for about 48 hours straight with a high fever. I'm starting to feel human again today.

In the aftermath of some kind of nasty flu I'm curious to do a kind of self-assessment as to when I can get back on the bike and when I'll be back to near full strength. I've got another race scheduled this weekend--nothing too long and hard--but I'm thinking I should just write this one off. Then again, maybe go and see what happens. Guess I'll see how I feel in the next couple of days.

BumbleBeeDave
06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Sunday . . . Owners weekend--42 miles--waaay sore trying to keep upafter long ride Saturday.

Monday . . . 13.5 on the mtb with friends Jeff and Amy. Definitely not a serious ride, but nice for recovery after the weekend.

Wednesday . . . 41.37 road. Climbed Sterling Road--toughest hill around here. I’m told it’s 875 feet up in 7/10 mile. Had to stop once for about 30 seconds and was mad at myself--the grade is deceptive and if I’d toughed it out for about one more minute I woulda cleaned it. Had derailleur troubles the whole ride though. At the top of Sterling I tried to adjust I again and it forgot it had a 23 cog--would NOT stay in it. Turned out the cable was just plain loose. I need to go do Sterling again with a fit bike--I WILL do it this time!

Thursday . . . 26 miles on the mtb on the bike path, since it looked like rain. It never did rain, but the path was deserted--I assume because of the threatening weather--and I had a great workout. 15.9 average on semi-slicks. How does that equate to energy expended on a road bike???

Friday . . . River Loop with friends Jeff and John. Only 16.7 average, but I pretty much had to wait for them. Only one interesting incident . . . We’re tooling along, when I spot a Dunkin’ Donuts napkin lazily blowing across the road--straight toward my bike! Like in a slow motion, Sam Peckinpah movie sequence, I see it impact my down tube--and my Friggin’ frame BREAKS RIGHT IN HALF!!! End of ride! . . . Jeff had to go get his car to haul my sorry, sobbing ass home along with the broken-in-half Queen Bee! . . . Yeah, just kidding! ;) ;) :eek:

Sorry. couldn’t resist!

BBDave

ericmurphy
06-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Only one interesting incident . . . We’re tooling along, when I spot a Dunkin’ Donuts napkin lazily blowing across the road--straight toward my bike! Like in a slow motion, Sam Peckinpah movie sequence, I see it impact my down tube--and my Friggin’ frame BREAKS RIGHT IN HALF!!! End of ride! . . . Jeff had to go get his car to haul my sorry, sobbing ass home along with the broken-in-half Queen Bee! . . . BBDave

See? And everyone was giving Shimano a hard time for sacrificing a derailleur to save the frame! I can still imagine it...an intact Dura Ace derailleur going around and around the cassette, winding the cable tighter and tighter, still attached to the derailleur hanger/dropout, while the seat and chain stays splay outwards like bee antennae...

:-)

vaxn8r
06-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Wednesday . . . 41.37 road. Climbed Sterling Road--toughest hill around here. I’m told it’s 875 feet up in 7/10 mile.
BBDave

If my math is correct that would be an average grade of 24%.

MallyG
06-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Spent the weekend training for l'etape in Courchevel in the French Alps. The weather was apalling! Did a 22k climb in the morning that started in sunshine and ended in freezing rain and hailstones. The descent was terrifying, not least because my fingers froze around my (almost non-existent) brakes. Later, when the sky had brightened up to a dull grey, we did a major climb back up to Courchevel. Unfortunately, I missed the turning at 1550 and carried on climbing to 17750 (no - it wasn't over-enthusiasm), then had to come back down (again missing the turning), then having to climb again back up to the house. Altogether, it was about 80 miles of which the majority were up!

M_A_Martin
06-22-2004, 06:18 AM
My little adventures pale in comparison!

Saturday: Run all my errands by bike. Take the new Kirk to a bike shop where the guys all drool over the lug work, then I let them take it for a test ride. It comes back unscathed, and the guys are all atwitter.

Sunday: Moved 2 yards of dirt with a shovel and wheelbarrow in under two hours. There has to be a more civilized way to do this. Visited Dad and took him treats...no ride.

Monday: One of my new riding buddies has recently gotten a cross bike. First time we went out with it last week, we got about a mile and a half, his derraillure thought it saw a starbucks napkin and tried to eat his kryserium. Shop error. They replaced what broke (new der hanger, new rear derraillure).
Last night we actually got a ride in. I forgot my helmet, so the first 4 miles are to a bike shop (me with no helmet) to pick up a new one. After that we take a round-about route that includes paved roads, sidewalks, road construction, grassy lots, potholed dirt roads, and park bike paths. 15 miles into it, it starts to rain. Cold rain. We decide to head back. I have Continental Grand Prix 3000 on the Kirk...they're 25s so they're handling the dirt and slick pretty well. Happy day, even with the road tires I can balance and ride over stuff I used to spin out on! Riding in the mud reminds me of being a kid...having fun on the bike. We come up to a major intersection, about 15 miles into the ride, and my buddy gets a pinch flat. He's never changed a tube in the field. So we head over to the overhang at a drug store for shelter and I walk him through the process. Changing a tire takes longer when you're explaining "why and how".
His new bike is incredibly filthy. Whatever kind of brake pads he has, I want to avoid. I had forgotten to include my latex gloves in my pack, my hands were black, my thighs were black ...dirty dirty... Meanwhile some chick in a VW bug is spending 10 minutes putting on makeup. My buddy thought this was very funny...there she was taking all that time putting on makeup, and there I was spending the same time getting black grease EVERYWHERE...
We get the tube out and patched (neither of us are riding with a spare tube...BAD Mary Ann... (can you see where this is going?) I let him inflate it with his brand new CO2, "BOOM". Huge split that no patch will cover. Even though we're at a drug store, we're in the middle of nowhere. So after conferring for a moment, I hop on my bike and bust butt the last 10 miles back to the cars. I run in to change so I don't get grease all over his vehicle and get a call...its my buddy. He's at the cars. Evidently he got three ride offers once I left. The chick in the Jag couldn't figure out how to carry his bike in her car, but the doctor had a tahoe...
I should have listened to the cycling gods. My helmet was left at home for a reason.

Today I might wander up to the track and train with the club...as long as I don't forget my helmet I should be fine.

BumbleBeeDave
06-22-2004, 06:36 AM
. . . if I just find a drug store far from home and stand there with the bike after I have let all the air out of one tire, I will get picked up by pretty women in Jaguars? Why did I never think of this before . . . ? :confused: ;)

And Vaxn8r . . . Hey, I don’t do the surveying--I just repeat the rumors that sound impressive! :rolleyes: Obviously those figures can’t be right, assuming your math is correct--which I WILL assume. But it IS the longest steep sustained grade I have found around here. The last pitch is MURDER! :eek:

BBDave

Sandy
06-22-2004, 06:58 AM
With your luck with women, you might get run over by a Jaguar or eaten by a jaguar. If it's the latter, you will probably think how pretty the tablecloth with the black spots is, as it seems to be floating towards you, towards your rear derailleur. Oops, the tablecloth seems to have gracefully changed directions, more in the direction of your throat. Crunch, crunch, spurt, spurt, bye bye Dave,....., may I have your CSi Dave?,.....,no need to ask,.... simplytake it,.......

Looking for a missing big cat,

Zookeeper

Sandy
06-22-2004, 07:06 AM
The Serotta Forum members comprise a close and caring family, especially those that shared the Serotta weekend together recently. If I had been there, I would have given you my CO2 pump and a couple of cartridges to fill the worthless tube. It would have been a gift from me to you. Really!! We care that much!

I then would have charged you and your new bud about $150 bucks for a new tube. Got to save up money for my next bike.

So Sincerely Sensitive,

Sandy

Kevan
06-22-2004, 07:14 AM
the corner you pick. :no:

Look who picked me up! :confused:

M_A_Martin
06-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Dave, I don't think you should go stand on a street corner and wait for women to offer you a "ride". You might wind up spending more than you bargined for! (Oh hold it, that's down on 8 mile.)

I guess he had three ride offers, two were women, the doctor who had a car that would carry the bike was a guy. I know that I could have stood there for hours and not gotten an offer for a ride. Its been so long since I've done any off the beaten path riding that I wasn't as prepared as I usually am. I have my little list now and collected most of it out of the bike room last night.

Thank you Sandy, that's very kind of you. I have my spare tube back in my seat pack now.

HOLD IT! What NEW bike? I thought the OTTROTT was your true love! (along with the lovely Gloria of course!)

Tom
06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Unless you're in a mood to take a risk.

I don't know about Sterling, but it's little pal Ennis has one short pitch at 15% and one longer one at 11%, according to my altimeter. I wouldn't doubt Sterling's steeper, it sure kicks me around. I'll gauge that one some day but not right away, if you catch my drift. Lately I hurt most of the day and part of the night, too. Two more days and I get to take a break from the bike for a week.

Dekonick
06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
from a 30 some mile ride with two friends this morning. I was supposed to meet them at 7:30 AM to start the ride, but my relief called in sick so I was a little late getting out of work...we started at 7:40 and I had no breakfast. Oops!
Nice ride, several large hills, fast speeds on the flats (fast for me - from 24-26mph) and I bonked about 3 miles from our start point on the return trip. Gotta eat... oops.

Overall average speed was 18mph, and would have been faster if my butt could get up the hills a little faster...

I still continue to find I LOVE the new Hors Cat. Hit 46mph on a downhill (still not poshing it as its new to me) and it tracks like a dream. No chatter - just glued to the road...smooth... Hey Ben! you should bring the H.C. concept back! :D

Little twinge in my right knee, gotta be the bike setup. Ill look at it later today. It feels fine, pedal motion is fine, friends say it looks fine... but still a little twinge. Better if I rotate my right foot , heel out, toe in when pulling on the cranks... any ideas as to a cause? (pulled out of my pedals 2x... guess its time for new cleats and to adjust the float)

The H.C is awesome!

djg
06-22-2004, 11:45 AM
or maybe carelessness in upkeep. About 2 1/2 hours yesterday with a dead computer battery. Noticed my foot felt pretty loose on the pedal about 15 miles or so from home and chalked it up to the new screws on the new cleats loosening. Started to pull over and pull out to check it out and the foot came right up. I actually had to wrestle pretty good to get my shoe out of the pedal, as the pedal body--still firmly attached to my cleat--had come right off the spindle.

Madship
06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Sterling road from 160 to just before Dennison, where my software runs out of map.

Madship
06-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Just noticed that isn't very readable.

It goes from about 620' to 1220' in 1.2 miles for an average gradient of 9%.

BumbleBeeDave
06-22-2004, 12:10 PM
. . . that your slope map doesn't tell the whole story. When you turn onto Sterling from 160 you actually go downhill for a ways, then start back upslope just after the intersection with Ennis. Then you climb to the intersection with Dennison, with the grade starting out acceptable and getting steeper and Steeper and STEEPER as you climb. The last part of the climb MUST be well in excess of 9%.

BBDave

Tom
06-22-2004, 12:23 PM
that there are at least three farms with llamas? Last year I noticed the one at the top of Crawford (I burst out laughing at how comical it was - they all ran over to the fence and stared at me as I crawled by - and nearly hurt myself) and now there are two more places right over on 160 and Sterling with them.

Yes. All the other people on the forum go Who The Hell Cares. Well, I nearly got assaulted by a herd of 50 geese this morning. I'm becoming more careful of those animals. They're out to get me, they are.

And geese are a "herd" when they're attacking on foot.

Madship
06-22-2004, 12:47 PM
I'll trust your assessment of the climb. I have noticed errors in the software for my area. Thre is a very slight drop in the full size profile and I don't know if the hill conitnues past Dennison. I have yet to ride on that side of the Mohawk.

The grade on the map is an average fro the entire climb. The first 0.8 miles averages 12% with a sections of that at 21% & 27%. It seems to level out a bit after that, but that could be a limitation of the software since it is the far edge of the map I purchased (Northern Adirondack and Southern with CD). Someday I'll buy the whole NE package.

BumbleBeeDave
06-22-2004, 02:13 PM
. . . If your software takes into account the downhill right off 160, then it would be reasonable that it underestimates the grade. 21-27% for that last pitch sounds very reasonable to me. I can hardly turn the pedals without standing in a 12-26--and I am a pretty strong rider and I think Tom would vouch for that. If it was much steeper than it is now I honestly think cars would have trouble with the grade.

What I think is particularly challenging about this climb, though, is the deceptively increasing grade as you head toward the top. It's almost as if the highway engineers got 2/3 of the way up the slope and said, "Oops!" and had to finish it off the best they could.

BBDave

Tom
06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
It's steep or you're strong? Hmmmm.... how much money you got, BeeMan?

Heh heh.

Tom
06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
I take my Lord's name in vain going up Stirling. And for good measure I take a few other's, too. No sense in leaving any out when you feel that bad.

Dave can ride. Not as well as me, you understand, but he is capable of turning the cranks.

BumbleBeeDave
06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Tom. Thanks a lot.

#$%&&*$#@!! :butt:

BBDave