PDA

View Full Version : Help - Moots or Legend Ti or Crown Jewel Ti

rs1115
07-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I have read as many threads on this as I can find on this board and appreciate the comments to date. However, I am coming down to the wire on making a decision between these three frames and the one question that hasnt really been addressed in the previous threads is which questions should I be asking to help determine which frame I go with?

I dont think that I can go wrong with any of these but I am lost as to which direction ot turn.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Louis
07-03-2007, 11:15 PM
which questions should I be asking to help determine which frame I go with?

What am I looking for in a new bike?

Steve Hampsten
07-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Buy the one that gets you the hottest.

There is no wrong answer here.

Ginger
07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm a little confused, I haven't been on the forum much lately...You have other threads and only one post?

In which case.

Definitely the Serotta Legend Ti. You won't be disappointed.

And even if I weren't being smart, I'd still go with the Legend Ti. *I* think it's the sweetest bike of the three. I appreciate the handling more than the IF and I appreciate the aesthetics of a Serotta road bike over a moots road bike (although I think moots does a fantastic job with their off road bikes)

that is of course, with no idea what you're using the bike for other than riding it.

Steve Hampsten
07-04-2007, 12:31 AM
that is of course, with no idea what you're using the bike for other than riding it.

care to hazard any guesses?

Ginger
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
care to hazard any guesses?
Silly rabbit...you know me, a bike is a bike is a bike...

But if he's racing on it, what sort of racing? might pick something different for 'cross than crits.

If he's touring on it, is he going fully loaded, or is he a rando kindof guy??

just say'n

FlaRider
07-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Easy answer....Legend Ti. I've owned and raced on all three and the Legend wins hands down. Both the IF and the Vamoots felt "mushy" to me. The Legend felt very responsive in the bottom bracket and handled in a very balanced manner. And the build quality of Serotta is sublime (not to disparage at all the wonderful build quality of the IF and Moots as well).

Serotta PETE
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, I would second the Legend or Concours. This does not mean that the other two are bad = = just means that I am very biased.

A good friend had a Moots and would not trade.

As Steve said get the one that puts a smile on your face! There are no bad ones of the 3.

scrooge
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd consider which dealer/fitter I feel most comfortable with (of course, this could vary depending on how much I like my current fit). I don't know about moots, I know that seven has a "formula" (not sure they ever see you on the bike?!) and Serotta has some pretty descent fitters out there that will actually see you on a bike (or at least a size-cycle). My preference would be for the latter...but then again, I'd probably get a spectrum (or Tournesol) if I were going with ti :D

Ahneida Ride
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Go Serotta .... ;)

Serotta has great fitters .... search one out ....

Serotta can tune the ride .... but ask em too. otherwise the
Legend can be stiff .... that's there default build.

Ken Robb
07-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a Legend and a Moots; well it's really a Hampsten Strada Bianca but it's made by Moots.

They are both wonderful bikes. If I could only have one and wanted to ride all kinds of roads, paved and not, I would have to have the Hampsten because it will take tires up to at least 35mm and it has the YBB rear end which smooths the ride.

OTOH, I have never ridden any "normal" that tops my Legend on smooth and even coarse pavement. The ride is forgiving without feeling mushy in any way.

I would look at Hampsten designed Moots if I wanted lots of clearance w/canti brakes and if I wanted the YBB. I like their design better than Moots' own because Hampstens and I like lower BB than Moots typically does, though I'm sure they would build whatever you want within reason. The hampstens can come with nice paint too which I prefer over the industrial-looking matte Moots finish.

Larry
07-04-2007, 07:12 PM
If you haven't done this......try to do a test ride on each frame.
Perhaps a stock size in each bike.
Moots......great bike, but industrial looking....IMHO. Ride is great.
IF........fine, I'm sure. I don't like the look.
Legend.....everything looks right. Fitter and exact knowledge of what you
want is the key. Time-proven and tested ride quality. The designer
and the builders will do exactly what you have requested.

Legend.

davids
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
You won't go wrong with any of these.

I have a friend who's been riding a first-year Ti Crown Jewel for five years. He's got no interest in another bike.

Personally, I love the look of the Moots Ti frames - Simple and tough.

My heart, however, is with the Legend. I've found a consistent set of features in every Serotta I've ridden - Stable, responsive, comfortable, and they climb like a dream.

Test ride if at all possible. I couldn't test ride a Moots, so I crossed it off my personal shopping list...

SoCalSteve
07-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Its a Serotta Forum, for G@d's sake!

Of course its going to be skewed towards Serotta's.

Go to the Moots Forum (oops, they dont have one anymore) or the IF Forum (they never had one)...

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: Ive owned and/or own bikes from all 3 companies. All 3 make a great product. If you want the industrial look, go Moots (not that there is anything wrong with that, I own one and its a great bike). If you want a selection of paint schemes, go IF or Serotta. If you want amazing tubing and a personalized fit (with a Serotta certified fitter) and a chance to pick your very own tube selection plus get a ST rear end...Well, I think you see where I am going with this. Serotta has the other 2 companies beat on many levels.

Oh, btw, try getting a Moots in a timely fashion. They are so backlogged and have so many production problems....well, its been a 3 months wait for a Ti stem (so far) and no time in site when I will have it. Just sayin'...

JonnyComeLately
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Not to muddy the waters any further, but if you're going to consider those wonderful rides, you should also check out a Spectrum Ti. Tom does a fine job...

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/

vaxn8r
07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
If you're into weld perfection maybe a Moots. But if you're more into a killer tubeset both in terms of function and looks (check out the rear triangle of a non ST legend...dropouts too) I don't see any other choice but the Legend. It's a better looking bike hands down.

As for ride, I haven't ridden IF or Moots. I can tell you the Legend is an almost perfect ride. Smooth but responsive and efficient. If I could buy and own only one Serotta it still be a Legend. It'll be a sad day if they ever stop building them.

Ozz
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Serotta

all ti

level top tube

that's all......

Serotta PETE
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I think the LEGEND and CONCOURS welds are second to none....(MOOTS is as good). YES my middle name is biased!!!! ;)

Ginger
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I am coming down to the wire on making a decision between these three frames and the one question that hasnt really been addressed in the previous threads is which questions should I be asking to help determine which frame I go with?

Well rs115, any further input? why are you thinking of those three in particular?

CNY rider
07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Serotta

all ti

level top tube

that's all......

That's exactly what I've been riding for the past 3 years.
It just doesn't get any better. :beer:

Ozz
07-05-2007, 01:39 PM
That's exactly what I've been riding for the past 3 years.
It just doesn't get any better. :beer:
I've had mine built up for about a year....yummy smooth! :beer:

jpw
07-06-2007, 03:11 AM
If you're thinking Moots how about an Eriksen - more custom than Moots and more Moots than Moots, sort of.

Larry
07-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Legend.
The carbon stays are very cool and distinctive.
But with a Legend, I would go with all ti, perhaps in a racey paint scheme.
Or.....with just matte or polished finish. No fuss.
Concours would get you there, also.

af2004
07-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Serotta

all ti

level top tube

that's all......

Life could be so easy. ;)

I ride a Vamoots before the Legend.

Booth where really really good bikes.

Maybe itīs like the discussion: "What is better: Aston Martin, Ferrari or Porsche."

:D

rePhil
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Being vertically challenged I ride sloping top tubes. I like the look, and what it does to standover.
I would also suggest all ti, no carbon rears for me.
Any of those you mentioned will make you very happy...if it fits.

rs1115
07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
All - Thanks for all of the great comments. I am think that I am leaning toward the legend but will talking the fitter (who carries all three) today and see what he recommends.

Given that I am typically riding between 25-40 miles during the week and longer rides on the weekends but not racing, I am not sure that I can go wrong with any of these three bikes.

Again, thanks for the comments - they have given me a lot to reflect on.

Reid

T-Crush
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
The best answer was given to you early; go with the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. I've owned all three, plus other examples of good ti (Merlin, Seven, Litespeed), and there is not a bad choice in your group. FWIW the only two ti bikes I've ridden in my life that have ridden as sweetly as my Marcelo is my Axiom and a Legend I wish I still had.

Have fun, the process is almost as much fun as the ride.

jsfoster
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Thats what we want is an excellent bike. My experience with custom bikes is somewhat limited, but i have a very clear idea of what i would like to have. I have been riding since about 1970. I had a bike store for 5 years (72-77). It was a summer type store (which was good for grad school), where I sold a lot of french bikes and the spanish Zeus. (very nice). I wouldn't ride any of these bikes again. While i was working, i heard rumors about changes in dimensioning, tube sizes and so forth (c-c, larger tubes diameters). I realized (somehow) that these were good things. i also know that some guy named Ben Serotta was in this group, or pushing it. When I came to buy a custom bike for myself in my older age (1997), as everyone made fun of my zeus olympic, which i rode through Europe in 1974, I decided to get the new Seven Axiom. I specified a bike for long distance, comfortable, not a criterium bike. I even talked to Rob Vander...on the phone, after he had all my info. I got a great bike, truly worthy of a great cyclist, but not for me. High BB, criterium geometry and other stuff. Luckily the review in Bicycling Mag came out just as I got it, so I was able to sell the HOT bike (in the good sense), without loosing any money. It was steel after that for me, and after a lot of research, I bought an Atlanta. Very nice, just what i wanted, comfortable, responsive (acceleration) and balanced. And, like the seven the BB did not move at all ( on the 70's bikes, the bottom bracket would move back and forth the width of the BB, while cranking up a hill).

My family not liking the colors gave me a thumbs down (I didn't include their ideas in my requirements for some reason) and i bought a CSI, which I still have. I gave myself a Birthday present last October (2006) of a new bike, my choice was a Legend ST. No regrets at all. My bike shop, Altheus in Rye, NY sized me up, they had previously adjusted my CSI slightly to good effect. These sizing adjustments took about 2 hours, much talking, and information exchanged. Serotta knew exactly what I wanted, and gave that and much more. This bike rides like the CSI, but more comfortably (seemingly soaking up bumps), faster acceleration, totally stable turning in tight spots, centuries,hills, mountains, all with comfort and ease.

Serotta has pushed the envelope for 30 years on knowledge of bike manners, bike fit, bike responsivness and control of materials to achieve his purpose. I find it strange that there is any question, about who to go to when you want and can afford to have exactly what you want, which after all is the ability to improve yourself in the sport you love. Everyone else learns and is inspired themselves by the Serotta approach to bicycles and the bicycle business.

-happy riding, Jon

Steelhead
07-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Are you going custom? If so, it is doubtful that one shop carries all three lines - so I would find the best fitter at the shop you want to do business with, and buy the line they sell and/or recommend. Also - the interaction with the manufacturer is important - I have only the highest praise for all my dealings with Serotta as well as the Serotta dealer I bought from. Makes for quite a nice experience.

Other than that - all three are "lust after" bikes.

PS - If custom paint is also an option for you, that pretty much rules out the Vamoots, unless you want a 3rd party to paint it. my .02.

Ahneida Ride
07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Serotta

all ti

level top tube

that's all......

Thats a me !!!

Steelhead
07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Did I see where you said the dealer carries all three? Thats some shop and frankly I am surprised IF would contract with a dealer with those competing lines. What shop is it - I'd like to check them out.

sirroada
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Gotta say go with the Legend Ti. I own one myself and I love it. Best investment in cycling I ever made. Not to mention...Serotta's customer service hands down is the best of any bicycle company I have dealt with. I have ridden the IF and the Moots. Both are great bikes. The Moots is ugly in my opinion (but rides great), the IF felt a bit soft. Of course, this can be manipulated, after all they are all custom. I went with the Legend and do not regret it one bit.

rs1115
07-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Well rs115, any further input? why are you thinking of those three in particular?

I ended up going with the Legend. The fitter I worked with carried all three and after all of the work we did, while any of the bikes would have worked well, the Legend was the easier choice. So, five or so weeks from now, I should have my new bike.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Steelhead
07-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Great choice - also, my new custom Serotta with custom paint arrived in my shop's hands two days before the original projected ship date from Saratoga Sprgs.... that was a nice surprise. Don't forget the photos in front of the garage door must be posted within 24 hours of build completion. :)

Ginger
07-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I ended up going with the Legend. The fitter I worked with carried all three and after all of the work we did, while any of the bikes would have worked well, the Legend was the easier choice. So, five or so weeks from now, I should have my new bike.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Congratulations!

I look forward to reading your ride report!