PDA

View Full Version : On a program?

lobonegro
07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm curious how many forumites follow a formalized training program vs just following their gut. If you do follow a program, what type? Online, local team/coach, etc.

I suspect this might divide among racers vs recreational riders but one is lead to believe (hype?) that even non-racers should be following a plan. Your thoughts?

kbwheels
07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a set plan set up by my coach. I do some races and I needed help in getting some consistence in my riding but it had to fit into my lifestyle, which includes family life with 2 small childeren and wife as well as a job with variable hours. My coach keeps me accountable and allows me to reach a high level of fitness without me feeling like I am stealing time from my family.

Lanternrouge
07-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I race (or at least ride around in circles wearing a race number), but don't really have a serious program because it takes the fun out of riding. I think a lot of training is just learning how your body reacts to various workloads. As I recall, Fausto Coppi's 3 principles of training are 1. Ride your bike; 2. Ride your bike, and; 3. Ride your bike. :bike:

SoCalSteve
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I race (or at least ride around in circles wearing a race number), but don't really have a serious program because it takes the fun out of riding. I think a lot of training is just learning how your body reacts to various workloads. As I recall, Fausto Coppi's 3 principles of training are 1. Ride your bike; 2. Ride your bike, and; 3. Ride your bike. :bike:

Isnt that similar to the three most important things in Real Estate? Location, location and location?

DarrenCT
07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
i just ride. no program. no set route. no group rides.

coylifut
07-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm a bit on the lucky side in that my coach and I have a very unique exchange. over the last couple of years that he's been coaching me, we've become great friends. He's taught me how to be fit and I, with the help of one other, have taught him how to enjoy cycling again. While most people have email exchanges with their coach, I walk up to the town square and we talk over a brown bag lunch. We ride together at least once a week and occasionally race together as well.

I think local coaches are far better than internet coaches. Having a coach who knows the races and players that you are up against is far more valuable than a cyber coach who doesn't know your local scene.

My coach is sending me on vacation with my family and completely off the bike for the next 9 days. He's a guy who firmly believes in a substantial mid season break. This set-up was quite hard for me to accept year 1, but once cx season came around and I won the first 2 races of the season, I ceased challenging the metodology.

My last comment is that I don't think you always need a coach. Having a coach for about 3 years and then going out and forming your own program based on that experience could be enough. Then, if things get stale, hire a new coach to supplement your prior experience. Of course, your experience may differ.

Lanternrouge
07-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Isnt that similar to the three most important things in Real Estate? Location, location and location?

Yes. I wonder which came first.